Hall of Very Good

GriffinM6

This idea came to my mind the other day when watching the Angels play. Justin Upton came up to bat, and I thought to myself "He's had a great career, but definitely won't be a Hall of Famer". What are some players in sports that you think had great careers that will miss out on their respective hall of fame?

Justin Upton

Image result for justin upton

Al Horford: He's made 5 all-star games, but has never been considered a top 25 player in the NBA and never been considered a superstar. Hopefully, the Hawks retire his number at least, but I'm not too sure about that after the way he left.

Image result for al horford

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Joe Mauer.  In 2010 it looked like he was a Hall of Famer.  He was a catcher who won batting titles (which we still thought mattered then). Now he’s a firstbaseman with no power and doesn’t even flirt with hitting .300 anymore.

He is actually still a quality player.  He plays first base well and I think was in the top-10 in AL obp last year.  But he’s definitely HOVG.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In no particular order, the names I'd enshrine include...

Baseball:

Don Baylor

Bill Buckner (should be in the HOF, IMO)

Dave Concepcion

Dwight Evans

Steve Garvey

Don Mattingly

Dale Murphy

Al Oliver (should be in the HOF.  Period)

Dave Parker (would be in the HOF had he not snorted enough cocaine to draw a line from home plate to first base)

Lou Whitaker

Football:

Ottis Anderson

Henry Ellard

Eddie George

Herschel Walker (if you include his USFL stats, even reducing them by a factor of a third, he's an HOF lock)

Kurt Warner (sorry, but I don't consider him HOF worthy)

And...any WR who's career began from 1995-present (only because I feel the game's changed so in that time that it's impossible to accurately assess who's HOF worthy vs. who's not, and won't be for maybe another 20-30 years).

Basketball:

Mark Aguirre

Bill Laimbeer

Larry Nance

Byron Scott

Jack Sikma

Hockey:

Tom Barasso

nav-logo.png

On 5/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, ozzyman314 said:

King Felix 

Will be in the Hall of Fame. Don't be silly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

jim-edmonds-swing.jpg?w=512&h=343&crop=1

I have to throw my childhood hero, Jim Edmonds, into this category. Granted, he's already off the HOF ballot, but even before it actually happened, it was clear that he was never going to actually get in. Still, just under 400 HR and 1200 RBI with 8 Gold Gloves and 4 All-Star appearances is a hell of a career.

13 hours ago, Shumway said:

jim-edmonds-swing.jpg?w=512&h=343&crop=1

I have to throw my childhood hero, Jim Edmonds, into this category. Granted, he's already off the HOF ballot, but even before it actually happened, it was clear that he was never going to actually get in. Still, just under 400 HR and 1200 RBI with 8 Gold Gloves and 4 All-Star appearances is a hell of a career.

Sadly I'd have to agree. He had a ton of great moments and he was a GREAT center fielder. He made catches I've never seen anyone else make, but the numbers just aren't there I guess. Still, just like you, one of my favorite players as a kid.

Cleveland in the '90s had tons of Hall of Very Good players. You had Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance and Mark Price playing for the Cavs; Sandy Alomar Jr., Kenny Lofton, Albert Belle and (unfortunately, it appears) Omar Vizquel with the Tribe.

6fQjS3M.png

Just from the Buffalo Bills alone I would nominate:

QB Joe Ferguson

RB Joe Cribbs

RB Fred Jackson

WR Eric Moulds

TE Pete Metzelaars

OL Joe Devlin

OL Will Wolford

LB Cornelius Bennett

LB Darryl Talley

NT Fred Smerlas

DT Kyle Williams

DE Phil Hansen

CB Nate Odomes

ST Steve Tasker (Just because the HOF will never recognize special teams)

• RB Thomas Jones
  • QB Mark Brunell
  • SF Jalen Rose
  • RP Mike Remlinger

These are the names that came to mind. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Ken Anderson was the first to come to mind. Has better stats than a lot of QB's who are in the Hall of Fame. One of the first modern quarterbacks. If you dropped him into today's game he'd be just as good if not better because they'd let him throw it more. Maybe he's a better case for the Hall of Snubbed Players.

He's first ballot in both the Sports Mustache Hall of Fame and the Football Facemask Hall of Fame

Yv3ivCM.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

Kenny Lofton, and (unfortunately, it appears) Omar Vizquel with the Tribe.

I just hope the Veteran’s Committee takes up their cases.

As for the Giants, I’d argue that Will Clark, Matt Williams, and JT Snow are all members of the Hall of Very Good. Half of the New York HoFers for the Giants don’t belong in the Hall (e.g., Lindstrom), but that’s what you get with Veteran’s Committee cronyism.

21 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Ken Anderson was the first to come to mind. Has better stats than a lot of QB's who are in the Hall of Fame. One of the first modern quarterbacks. If you dropped him into today's game he'd be just as good if not better because they'd let him throw it more. Maybe he's a better case for the Hall of Snubbed Players.

He's first ballot in both the Sports Mustache Hall of Fame and the Football Facemask Hall of Fame

Actually, I'd put Boomer Esiason in the HOVG.  He had a streak of about four outstanding years (including an MVP in 1988) but was just not at HOF long enough.

He also belongs in some sort of uniform HOF.  His Bengals uniforms were aweome and I am a big fan of the eras he was part of with the Jets and Cardinals.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 5/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, WideRight said:

Just from the Buffalo Bills alone I would nominate:

QB Joe Ferguson

RB Joe Cribbs

RB Fred Jackson

WR Eric Moulds

TE Pete Metzelaars

OL Joe Devlin

OL Will Wolford

LB Cornelius Bennett

LB Darryl Talley

NT Fred Smerlas

DT Kyle Williams

DE Phil Hansen

CB Nate Odomes

ST Steve Tasker (Just because the HOF will never recognize special teams)

I bolded the names I might co-sign. As a Buffalo almost-lifer, I would nix the rest. Most of these guys aren't a breath away from the actual HOF, which is what I think of when I thing "Hall of Very Good."

Just QB's alone off the top of my head:

Drew Bledsoe

Tony Romo

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

Randall Cunnningham

Boomer Esiason

Archived