Teams that won a championship with their WORST uniform set

kimball

On 5/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Since everyone has been PMing me and my phone has been ringing off the hook, I'll go ahead and expand on my earlier statement by commenting on each post in this thread:

Green = whether I agree or not, it's a reasonable argument and comes down to subjective tastes.

Red = so silly of a position that whoever posted it should be banned from the forum, be subject to a psychological evaluation, and be prohibited from ever owning weapons.

1977 Blazers
2007 Ducks

2017 Pens
1979 Pirates
2017 Eagles
LA Kings

2016 Cavs 
Seahawks
2003 Marlins

Recent GSW
2011 Mavs.

1998 Broncos
2016 Cubs
2012 Ravens

I tend to agree with most.  All the greens are reasonable arguments to make.  Some I agree with, some I don't.

For the red, though, as much as you vehemently disagree, I don't know that these are unreasonable.

• Pens: I'm with you on both of those uniforms being worse.  But we know how much people hated the Vegas gold for the Pens.
  • Eagles: I like all kelly sets better.  They won the super bowl in the dark uniform (does that invalidate the white uniform argument?  I think it does if we base the Cavs on the black uniform and not the whole set), which I think was better in 1996 than now.  I'd probably color this green, but if you are counting the blue and yellow, it's a stretch.
  • Kings: This may be red.  The burger king was just so stupid.  I'd also add the set with "Los Angeles" going across the bottom.
  • Golden State: I'm with you.  The uniforms you addressed were awful.  
  • Mavs: That set is so played out...I'm OK with judging any uniform from this era as their worst.
  • Cubs: I'm with you in all ways.  As much as the Cubs road grays are not classics, it would have been far better to see than the blue jersey.  But this team goes back to the 1800s and I'd rank some of their non-traditional road uniforms (the dark blue with white pants, the powder with white pinstripes) worse.  Not to mention all the goofy stuff teams wore in the deadball era.

That said, while I agree that some people are just going to go with "championships in bad uniforms" I have a hard time invalidating any of these opinions as ridiculous.  Maybe the Cubs and, thanks to burger king, the Kings.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To deviate just a bit...

15-kyle-champ-win.jpg

The Joe Gibbs Racing #18 has a long history with both green cars and nice designs, but this scheme was awful. M&Ms paint schemes should be yellow or brown. We narrowly avoided another, though not quite as bad, terrible design when Busch finished second last year in the Caramel M&Ms car.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

7 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

Their regular home and away sets were mediocre, but fine. Their blue alternate was legitimately good. But literally every design element on the black jersey - the color combination, the oversized "C", the sleeves - was awful.

Strongly disagree on everything except the sleeves. The giant "C" was awful too, but better than what all the other sets had to offer.

8 hours ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

Well.....groupelvis_0.jpg?itok=WP8_bLwW

51s20AVN4+L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg I'd say about on par with this

I'd say the Patriots never had a look that I could consider above average. The closest was maybe the white on white back in the 70's and 80's with the white facemask. And while the Patriots center hiking the ball was a nice logo on its own it didn't work on a helmet

steve-grogan.jpg

On 5/13/2018 at 11:36 AM, Ray Lankford said:

The only way the Warriors uniforms aren't unique is because everyone else has followed them in wearing big logos on their jerseys.

The problem is the warriors logo isn't big, it's small/medium.

21 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Our last championship was so long ago, players were still wearing LONG SLEEVES and helmets WITHOUT facemasks

Champs6.jpg

that was never a good look. 

I love the lions 50s look. I love the way they look as throwbacks now.

That is not the Lions worst set though, this was by far.

qb-joey-harrington-2002_lguvj9ucdi1k1jqvwilliams1.jpgdewayne-white-sacks-jeff-garcia.jpg

I just clicked through  all four pages of this thread looking for the one penultimate example of this thread and none of y'all posted it??

99616c444b86a45c186231cb479d785e.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 minutes ago, Buc said:

I just clicked through  all four pages of this thread looking for the one penultimate example of this thread and none of y'all posted it??

They never won a championship in those unis though. 

They won two in the old red and gold set, and switched to the pj look immediately afterwards.

Turns out you're right...my memory was off.

(I'm getting old fast...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Buc said:

This photo really threw me for a loop :D .

On 5/15/2018 at 1:18 PM, Eszcz21 said:

I love the lions 50s look. I love the way they look as throwbacks now.

That is not the Lions worst set though, this was by far.

qb-joey-harrington-2002_lguvj9ucdi1k1jqvwilliams1.jpgdewayne-white-sacks-jeff-garcia.jpg

they looked like they were wearing long-sleeved t shirts, and had plain silver helmets with either mismatched facemasks or none at all.  While I love the modernized throwbacks we've worn since 1994, the things players were wearing in the 50's looked silly.  At least the Millen-induced black trimmed uniforms look like proper uniforms. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, insert name said:

Image result for 2016 nba finals

This is where the thread should start and end.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

they looked like they were wearing long-sleeved t shirts, and had plain silver helmets with either mismatched facemasks or none at all.  While I love the modernized throwbacks we've worn since 1994, the things players were wearing in the 50's looked silly.  At least the Millen-induced black trimmed uniforms look like proper uniforms. 

Every uniform should be assessed in its context. The 1950s uniforms were fine-looking uniforms in an era where every uniform was relatively minimalist and had long sleeves. The Millen-era uniforms looked like somebody slapped random black trim onto the 1990s Lions uniform, which is exactly what happened. No, the 1950s uniforms shouldn't be brought back as a full-time uniform today (although they're great at Thanksgiving, as a reminder of the dominant Lions teams of the 50s), but the Millen-era uniforms were a joke design-wise.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 5/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

51s20AVN4+L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg I'd say about on par with this

I'd say the Patriots never had a look that I could consider above average. The closest was maybe the white on white back in the 70's and 80's with the white facemask. And while the Patriots center hiking the ball was a nice logo on its own it didn't work on a helmet

steve-grogan.jpg

Those had the awesome striping consistency that the Florida Gators do so well.  But you're right... Pat Patriot ruined that set.  Not sure how that logo managed to last into the 90s.

Archived