Non-Referencing of Nickname in logos

B-Rich

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

If you look closely, the Wizards logo actually has a guy who looks like a wizard to me.  He has the floppy hat, a long white beard, and has generic "logo magic" coming out of his pointed finger.

If you look closely, the Wizards don't use that logo anymore and haven't for a few years... as referenced by B-Rich in the OP.

---

There's the Kootenay ICE (real dumb name and the team apparently decided a couple seasons ago, from what I can tell, that the name is supposed to be capitalized) who have used a Abominable Snowman/Yeti.

q0eiq088k0kem4of2xbdh4cj7.gif

9789_kootenay_ice-primary-2018.png

I'm not sure what category these would fit under because they're not the nickname nor the location and definitely not the workmark/intials. I also don't think it's abstract enough, so maybe there's another category for "animal-type logos that don't really tie into the nickname" because I'm pretty sure there's more of those to be found.

IEI5Tg1.png

I think the Wizards name is still referenced in the logo. The star above the monument evokes magic wand imagery. Granted it’s more fantasy princess than Harry Potter, but a wand nevertheless.

I think the Wizards logo is kinda brilliant all the way around. The aforementioned wand for the nickname, and the flag/political campaign button for the city. I love it.

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

If you look closely, the Wizards don't use that logo anymore and haven't for a few years... as referenced by B-Rich in the OP.

---

There's the Kootenay ICE (real dumb name and the team apparently decided a couple seasons ago, from what I can tell, that the name is supposed to be capitalized) who have used a Abominable Snowman/Yeti.

q0eiq088k0kem4of2xbdh4cj7.gif

9789_kootenay_ice-primary-2018.png

I'm not sure what category these would fit under because they're not the nickname nor the location and definitely not the workmark/intials. I also don't think it's abstract enough, so maybe there's another category for "animal-type logos that don't really tie into the nickname" because I'm pretty sure there's more of those to be found.

A yeti ties into the "ICE" nickname. Yeti are rumored to live in snowy areas. It's not quite as direct as a sword for a team called Cavaliers, but the association is still there.

19 hours ago, Bruins said:

The Wizards, albeit in a very subtle way, actually do reference a wizard in their new logo. The Washington monument combined with the star forms a wand.

8 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

I think the Wizards name is still referenced in the logo. The star above the monument evokes magic wand imagery. Granted it’s more fantasy princess than Harry Potter, but a wand nevertheless.

I think the Wizards logo is kinda brilliant all the way around. The aforementioned wand for the nickname, and the flag/political campaign button for the city. I love it.

Similar to the claim that the basketball background on the Pistons' logo was the big end & rod cap part of a piston, I'm not buying it.   It's more of a case of seeing what you want to see to make something "fit".

No way that the primary logo was ever intended to be or suggest a "magic wand":

WizLogo.jpg

1. It was originally designed as and referred to as "the monument ball";

2. Also serves as a stylistic seam line on the basketball;

3. Wand is not physically/graphically connected (or combined with) the silver star;

4. Clearly, the shadowing and straight angles and edges indicates an evenly four sided column. If that's a wand, it would be very uncomfortable to hold.

5. The wordmarks, which use the Washington Monument shape in the Washington "h" and Wizards "d", reinforces that it's the monument that is the main feature:

Wizards-Bullets-hands-300x269.png

Incidentally, in thinking about it, the old Bullets logo (both the lower-case older one shown above and the later upper-case one) also did not reference the nickname at all.  You have to go back to the old days of Baltimore, pre-1969 to find such a representation:

2470f9fc441e0fcacf2b6adbd7266377.gif

It is what it is.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, pianoknight said:

You'll never see a logo of a Hoosier and be like, "hey that's a good looking Hoosier," because there is no universal definition of WHAT a Hoosier IS.  

Image result for david letterman 1986

13 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

No planes on the Jets logo

v7tehkwthrwefgounvi7znf5k.png

Nothing GIANT about a lowercase "n" or "y".

919.gif

Blue and Orange colors are the only reference to the Dutch in the Knicks logo, neither are there any pants.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gif

No Nets for a team called the Nets.

137_brooklyn-nets-primary-2013.png

Well, all of these teams have had references to their nicknames in the past.

The Jets have twice had logos that invoked jets.

Image result for jets afl 1963 helmet  Image result for jets  helmet

The Giants have a secondary logo that depicts a giant; it is a logo which is an update of logos that they had from 1930s through the 1950s.

Image result for ny giants secondary logo stadium     Related image

The Knicks used to use a logo featuring a Knickerbocker.  This has been picked up by their G-League team in Westchester.

Related image   Image result for westchester knicks logo

Finally, the Nets had a net not in their logo, but on the sides of their uniforms.

Image result for new jersey nets kenyon martin

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Never understood why a team called the GIANTS used lowercase letters for their logo. 

All the more reason to break out these beauties.

Image result for 1975 ny giants

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

eigv3ra8cjkojrywrgcvy6z29.gif

I've always been of the impression that the ball was/doubled as a satellite and the red section to the right was some type of vapor trail or other sign of motion.  I don't have any proof of this and could very well be wrong.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 5/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, pianoknight said:

You'll never see a logo of a Hoosier and be like, "hey that's a good looking Hoosier," because there is no universal definition of WHAT a Hoosier IS.  Compare that to a Bulldog, Tiger or Spartan, which are simple objects even a child can ID. 

My wife went to medical school at IU. All of the students understood that 1 Hoosier unit was equal to 250 lbs. "Patient was admitted for chest pain. Weight 2.5 Hoosiers, blood pressure..."

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Similar to the claim that the basketball background on the Pistons' logo was the big end & rod cap part of a piston, I'm not buying it.   It's more of a case of seeing what you want to see to make something "fit".

WizLogo.jpg

3. Wand is not physically/graphically connected (or combined with) the silver star;

4. Clearly, the shadowing and straight angles and edges indicates an evenly four sided column. If that's a wand, it would be very uncomfortable to hold.

5. The wordmarks, which use the Washington Monument shape in the Washington "h" and Wizards "d", reinforces that it's the monument that is the main feature:

Wizards-Bullets-hands-300x269.png

Incidentally, in thinking about it, the old Bullets logo (both the lower-case older one shown above and the later upper-case one) also did not reference the nickname at all.  You have to go back to the old days of Baltimore, pre-1969 to find such a representation:

2470f9fc441e0fcacf2b6adbd7266377.gif

I've always viewed the monument/star as an attempt to create the visual imagery of a wand, and even if it's not, the Orlando Magic have used stars to represent magic (along with the stars on sorcerer's apprentice Mickey's hat) that lend to "magic" imagery, which ties in very closely to the Wizards nickname..

Plus, of all the iconic monuments and buildings to use, they chose the Washington Monument, placed directly beneath a star, creating the image of a wand.. Too much of a coincidence to not be intentional.. 

6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

WizLogo.jpg

Umm...

20-Magic_Wand-512.png

6 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

My wife went to medical school at IU. All of the students understood that 1 Hoosier unit was equal to 250 lbs. "Patient was admitted for chest pain. Weight 2.5 Hoosiers, blood pressure..."

Cant imagine why a 625 lb person is having chest pain.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, bartodell said:

Umm...

20-Magic_Wand-512.png

You... did read his reasonings, didn't you?

Plus, if it were an actual wand, I believe they would've done a much better job at trying to convey it.

9 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for david letterman 1986

Well, all of these teams have had references to their nicknames in the past.

The Jets have twice had logos that invoked jets.

Image result for jets afl 1963 helmet  Image result for jets  helmet

The Giants have a secondary logo that depicts a giant; it is a logo which is an update of logos that they had from 1930s through the 1950s.

Image result for ny giants secondary logo stadium     Related image

The Knicks used to use a logo featuring a Knickerbocker.  This has been picked up by their G-League team in Westchester.

Related image   Image result for westchester knicks logo

Finally, the Nets had a net not in their logo, but on the sides of their uniforms.

Image result for new jersey nets kenyon martin

All the more reason to break out these beauties.

Image result for 1975 ny giants

Wasn't the Nets' Petrovic-era logo (may he RIP) kind of a stylized net? In that case all four teams here mentioned have had their name in their logo at some time or other.

Archived