Rockets Uniform Changes

NYCdog

On 5/16/2018 at 11:13 AM, VikingsAiden said:

Very unlikely, but it would be cool to see them emphise black more, drop red and introduce orange, similar to Dynamo. 

Yeah, no. Red is a Rockets color. Always has been always will be.

No one in the Rockets fan base seems to be attached to the yellow in any way. In fact, I see more navy and silver jerseys than yellow ones. The Rockets have moved on from the ketchup and mustard days. It was a good run, but red, silver and black are the team colors. The black jersey is great (I own one). They do get worn a lot, but the fans and the players seem to enjoy them so no issue in that. The red jersey is fine, and the white one (my personal favorite) is great. No need to change IMO. As a fan of the team, I just don’t see any need to move back to the yellow and red.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cardsblues02 said:

No one in the Rockets fan base seems to be attached to the yellow in any way. In fact, I see more navy and silver jerseys than yellow ones. The Rockets have moved on from the ketchup and mustard days. It was a good run, but red, silver and black are the team colors. The black jersey is great (I own one). They do get worn a lot, but the fans and the players seem to enjoy them so no issue in that. The red jersey is fine, and the white one (my personal favorite) is great. No need to change IMO. As a fan of the team, I just don’t see any need to move back to the yellow and red.

I think long-time Rockets fans will always be attached to red and yellow. Fans born in the late 90s probably don't care.

Red, black, and just a little bit of yellow still would be pretty awesome. Yellow was barely used in the championship years, but it was just enough.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I think long-time Rockets fans will always be attached to red and yellow. Fans born in the late 90s probably don't care.

Red, black, and just a little bit of yellow still would be pretty awesome. Yellow was barely used in the championship years, but it was just enough.

Maybe. I was born a few years after the championships, and even though I have been a fan for more than 10 years now (about as long as I have been able to understand basketball) I would say the look has stayed the same. Obviously the “Clutch City” and gray sleeves were hideous. But overall the franchise has kept things consistent. No need to change now, especially with this run of success. I get why people around here don’t like the black, but for the average NBA fan I would assume it looks fine.

I do own a ‘94 championship red jacket with the yellow and red logo on the back. Looks really awesome! Wear it to games all the time.

2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Yeah....no people love the red and yellow. 

A lot of people also wanna see the pajamas return as a throwback a few times a year. But yeah the red and yellow would be welcomed with open arms. 

I'd like to see the rockets go with red and white. No black, no gray, just a simple two color scheme that would be unique to the NBA. I don't think anybody else uses just red and white right?

I'd get rid of the dropshadows and put Houston on the red jersey, keep the shorts design, which reminds me of the nose of a rocket. It's a unique design that looks fast and feels "spacey". Maybe bring back the shoulder loops, which I actually liked, but if they won't fit, a nice clean jersey with minimal trim would be a sharp look. I don't think the rockets need to throw the baby out with the bath water here, just modernize and simplify things a bit.

2 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Yeah....no people love the red and yellow. 

A lot of people also wanna see the pajamas return as a throwback a few times a year. But yeah the red and yellow would be welcomed with open arms. 

Don’t take things I say out of context, never said people wouldn’t welcome yellow and red. Nobody seems to hold onto the colors. But people around these boards act like its the best thing ever. But people in Houston seem to be content with the red and black. You walk into Toyota Center, not many are wearing yellow and red. 

Yes, people do want the pajamas to make some sort of comeback. I think the Houston Chronicle did some sort of poll a few years back and most people liked the PJs. In fact, more people wear the navy and silver than the red and yellow.

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Such a brutal logo. Rockets gotta do something about this too. ?

bf25ae54e0b76b3694e8b1ec662fb3d0.jpg

I agree. Logo has to go. Maybe just make the R the primary. This looks dumb. 

You never see anyone with apparel that had this mess on it. Rockets seem to stay away from using it.

15 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I'd like to see the rockets go with red and white. No black, no gray, just a simple two color scheme that would be unique to the NBA.

I'd get rid of the dropshadows and put Houston on the red jersey, keep the shorts design, which reminds me of the nose of a rocket.

This guy gets it. The black is a no no there already 3 red and black teams (Chicago, Portland, Toronto). They would be the only team that uses just red and white. They can be so good if they want to.

And the R logo I like. I think the Houston rockets around it need to go but that R logo fits the theme, it’s aesthetically pleasing and has the potential to be a classic someday.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

And the R logo I like. I think the Houston rockets around it need to go but that R logo fits the theme, it’s aesthetically pleasing and has the potential to be a classic someday.

Yeah the R logo is great. I didn't realize the primary included the text. That's dumb. I agree with you, though. The R logo is distinctive and clean, it could certaintly be a classic someday if they just  stick with it and do some tidying -up of their brand.

Anyone who doesn't think yellow/"desert gold" was never really a part of the Rockets identity did not live through the championship days.  To me, they were perfect.  They were that color scheme for what? 24 years? Those are still the real Houston Rockets to me.   They haven't had an identity since Les Alexander took over the team. Les never even put "HOUSTON" on any of the primary uniforms.  I suspect with the font tweak, Tilman will put "HOUSTON" on the primary red uniforms because he's a die hard Houston guy and that's why i had hope that he'd return us to the championship identity. Sadly, it seems he really likes our current identity. 

I do understand the retro look was a bit too classic and todays uniforms are a bit more modern for a team with a space theme, but the Rockets will always be Red/White with a minimal trim of yellow/gold to me.  The 70s Calvin Murphy/Rudy T versions are a bit too much gold, but still looked great when Yao/T-mac wore them as throwbacks.

PERCECT:
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-i
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-o
They did look slightly goofy on Yao and T-Mac because they were really baggy and IIRC, everyone was wearing horrible yellow dominant shoes and black shoes.  These uniforms need white or red shoes and accessories only to complete the aesthetic.
Today they'd also be more fitted like the 80s
Title34.jpg
Modernize the wordmark and numbers and throw on the 'R' logo on the thigh of the home shorts and the 'HR' alt logo or wordmark on the away shorts. I always found that unique to have the logo and wordmark on the shorts thigh like that.

At this point though i'd even welcome back the RWB color scheme only because it matches with the other sports teams in Houston.  Where they messed up(other than cartoon logos and pin stripes-but that was the late 90s) was making blue primary. Red should always be primary for the Rockets.

Hakeem looked good in RWB too:
december-10-2017-houston-sports-legends-

Another thought:
Yellow too bold and gold too bland to fit in with our current uniforms and logos?
What about a really light gold like the new throwbacks being sold?
ff_3097415_full.jpg&w=600

On 5/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, 8BW14 said:

I'd like to see the rockets go with red and white. No black, no gray, just a simple two color scheme that would be unique to the NBA. I don't think anybody else uses just red and white right?

So something like this womans swingman? 
rockets_188.jpg

Would be very Houston Cougars like

The primary logo has to have city and team name. Or at least that was the rule when that new logo was made.   Looking over the league, i think the Clippers are the only ones who don't have City name in their logo anymore.  They do have LA in it, so perhaps they were able to get away with that since most people do call the city LA anyway.

54 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I would prefer, if the Rockets want to get rid of the current color scheme, go back to the red and navy. 

It certainly helps now that a lot of the RWB color schemes are in the Eastern Conference.. There's  Washington and Detroit and Philadelphia all in the East. Unfortunately for the Rockets, the Pelicans are in their own division and use Blue, Red and Gold including an alt red away and the Clippers use a lighter RWB color scheme. Primarily red with navy trim would be fine for the Rockets. 

ProjectThirtyFour's RWB modernized concepts were cool, but prefer making red primary
05d7f346255757.584dd1a7aa8b1.jpg
7e3cca14513885.562856ed36cd8.jpg

2 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

It certainly helps now that a lot of the RWB color schemes are in the Eastern Conference.. There's  Washington and Detroit and Philadelphia all in the East. Unfortunately for the Rockets, the Pelicans are in their own division and use Blue, Red and Gold including an alt red away and the Clippers use a lighter RWB color scheme. Primarily red with navy trim would be fine for the Rockets. 

ProjectThirtyFour's RWB modernized concepts were cool, but prefer making red primary
05d7f346255757.584dd1a7aa8b1.jpg
7e3cca14513885.562856ed36cd8.jpg

Too many red and blue teams and too many black and red teams. NBA needs more diversity 

On 5/19/2018 at 10:43 AM, Maximus89 said:

Anyone who doesn't think yellow/"desert gold" was never really a part of the Rockets identity did not live through the championship days.  To me, they were perfect.  They were that color scheme for what? 24 years? Those are still the real Houston Rockets to me.   They haven't had an identity since Les Alexander took over the team. Les never even put "HOUSTON" on any of the primary uniforms. 
PERCECT:
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-i
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-o

Title34.jpg
Modernize the wordmark and numbers and throw on the 'R' logo on the thigh of the home shorts and the 'HR' alt logo or wordmark on the away shorts. I always found that unique to have the logo and wordmark on the shorts thigh like that.

I don't think the numbers even need to be touched. The city name font could be updated a bit, but otherwise *this* look is what says HOUSTON ROCKETS to me. It's a very unique identity. They along with the Seattle SuperSonics and Denver Nuggets (the skyline look) never, ever should've changed. 

On 5/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, Cujo said:

Such a brutal logo. Rockets gotta do something about this too. ?

bf25ae54e0b76b3694e8b1ec662fb3d0.jpg

Throw that logo into a roundel and you've got yourself a modern NBA logo ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived