Rockets Uniform Changes

NYCdog

On 5/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, Maximus89 said:

Anyone who doesn't think yellow/"desert gold" was never really a part of the Rockets identity did not live through the championship days.  To me, they were perfect.  They were that color scheme for what? 24 years? Those are still the real Houston Rockets to me.   They haven't had an identity since Les Alexander took over the team. Les never even put "HOUSTON" on any of the primary uniforms.  I suspect with the font tweak, Tilman will put "HOUSTON" on the primary red uniforms because he's a die hard Houston guy and that's why i had hope that he'd return us to the championship identity. Sadly, it seems he really likes our current identity. 

I do understand the retro look was a bit too classic and todays uniforms are a bit more modern for a team with a space theme, but the Rockets will always be Red/White with a minimal trim of yellow/gold to me.  The 70s Calvin Murphy/Rudy T versions are a bit too much gold, but still looked great when Yao/T-mac wore them as throwbacks.

PERCECT:
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-i
hakeem-olajuwon-houston-rockets-center-o
They did look slightly goofy on Yao and T-Mac because they were really baggy and IIRC, everyone was wearing horrible yellow dominant shoes and black shoes.  These uniforms need white or red shoes and accessories only to complete the aesthetic.
Today they'd also be more fitted like the 80s
Title34.jpg
Modernize the wordmark and numbers and throw on the 'R' logo on the thigh of the home shorts and the 'HR' alt logo or wordmark on the away shorts. I always found that unique to have the logo and wordmark on the shorts thigh like that.

At this point though i'd even welcome back the RWB color scheme only because it matches with the other sports teams in Houston.  Where they messed up(other than cartoon logos and pin stripes-but that was the late 90s) was making blue primary. Red should always be primary for the Rockets.

Hakeem looked good in RWB too:
december-10-2017-houston-sports-legends-

Another thought:
Yellow too bold and gold too bland to fit in with our current uniforms and logos?
What about a really light gold like the new throwbacks being sold?
ff_3097415_full.jpg&w=600

Im not a fan of this gold jersey. looks dirty or like a dog peed on it or something.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/19/2018 at 3:22 PM, Maximus89 said:

It certainly helps now that a lot of the RWB color schemes are in the Eastern Conference.. There's  Washington and Detroit and Philadelphia all in the East. Unfortunately for the Rockets, the Pelicans are in their own division and use Blue, Red and Gold including an alt red away and the Clippers use a lighter RWB color scheme. Primarily red with navy trim would be fine for the Rockets. 

ProjectThirtyFour's RWB modernized concepts were cool, but prefer making red primary
05d7f346255757.584dd1a7aa8b1.jpg
7e3cca14513885.562856ed36cd8.jpg

If they went this route instead of the pajamas then they would never have had the Chinese National team unforms they have now. these are pretty awesome and a great look going from the red and yellow. The rockets fans still love the red and yellow because of the horrible choices of uniforms from the back to back championships on. 

14 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

If they went this route instead of the pajamas then they would never have had the Chinese National team unforms they have now. these are pretty awesome and a great look going from the red and yellow. The rockets fans still love the red and yellow because of the horrible choices of uniforms from the back to back championships on. 

I don’t know how often you go to Rockets games, but you do have a Texans avatar. I go to Rockets games fairly frequently (10-12 every year) and there always seems to be just as much RWB as there is gold and yellow. 

Archived