World League 2020

MJWalker45

World League 2020
Based on the NFL revisiting the original idea of a spring league for the NFL teams to get playing time for players further down the depth chart and free agents. The original league had 10 teams in three divisions with four teams making the playoffs. The 2020 version would have two four team divisions, the North American division and the European division. Each team would play the three teams in it's division twice and play one game against the other teams in the opposing division. At the end of the ten week season the top team in each division would meet in the World Bowl which would be played at the home of the higher seed as was done from 2004-2007 with NFL Europe-NFL Europa.

European Division:
Amsterdam Admirals
Frankfurt Galaxy
London Monarchs
Barcelona Dragons

North American Division:
Birmingham Fire
Ohio Glory (Canton, Ohio)
Orlando Thunder
San Antonio Riders

The Orlando Thunder would take the superior logos of the Berlin Thunder and recolor them to add that South Florida flair to them. The Ohio Glory would be placed at Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio since the expected smaller crowds would stand out at Ohio Stadium which has over 20,000 more seats from when the league played there in 1992. It was important that each team have it's own look rather than having one cookie cutter template such as was used from 1998-2007. When possible the original look was attempted but for some teams a move towards something new was necessary. Jersey sponsors remain as a holdover from NFL Europe though not every team would be required to have them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

First up is Birmingham which will once again call Legion Field home. I wanted to make them stand out from the crowd and the best way to do that is bring the flames down to the field not just on the helmets and jerseys. 

bHt8K9X.png

yNPtx75.png

EUA4IIq.png

eEEl5lv.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

I see where you're going with this but why do you have the Rhein Fire and the Birmingham Fire in the same league?

I thought about this, and you're right, I'll have to figure out who takes Rhein's spot. 

@JH42XCC

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

EtIvKv2.png

b0jtTEU.png

uWbMShw.png

Frankfurt Galaxy - Playing in Commerzbank-Arena, the former Waldstadion, the Galaxy were one of the most successful WLAF teams wiith championships in 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2006. They made a further three appearances in the title game in 1996, 2004 and 2007.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Julius Seizure said:

Duuude, Barcelona needs to take that Rhein Fire spot for sure! As of now, you have no teams wearing green. That will balance out the color spectrum of your league.

Orlando will be in green, just not lime green. I'll probably be mocking up Barca, Scotland and Hamburg before making a decision. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Why no Montreal Machine?

11 hours ago, Julius Seizure said:

Duuude, Barcelona needs to take that Rhein Fire spot for sure! As of now, you have no teams wearing green. That will balance out the color spectrum of your league.

I agree, it would be even having one team from four different countries.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

gAscCjv.jpg

BRhTcoH.png

0PHS7Gt.png

London Monarchs - The first and only championship they claimed was World Bowl I in 1992. They went 9-1 in the regular season before avenging their only loss in the Championship Game vs Barcelona. This Monarchs team will call Twickenham home. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Orlando Thunder - 1993 World Bowl runner-ups, the Thunder return to the now renamed Camping World Stadium. They took the superior logo from the Berlin Thunder and re purposed it with neon green and orange in place of lime green and blue. The lightning bolt from the logo serves as the pants stripe. 

rJOdFQU.png

KMITEq2.png

4x9ZRuI.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

tzNEThW.png

IbMKdnm.jpg

YRe43Oe.jpg

AbQgqX7.png

Ohio Glory - Making their return to Ohio they move out of Ohio Stadium, which added more than 20,000 seats since they last played there, and move to the smallest stadium in the league. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium sits within six hours of five NFL teams and has been completely rebuilt over a period of three seasons.A slightly darker blue is used as well as changes in pant and sleeve stripes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Ohio looks excellent.

Good to see the former Fawcett Stadium have a regular tenant in this thread.

In real life it has three, but a professional team playing in spring extends it's usefulness. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/17/2018 at 12:22 AM, MJWalker45 said:

First up is Birmingham which will once again call Legion Field home. I wanted to make them stand out from the crowd and the best way to do that is bring the flames down to the field not just on the helmets and jerseys. 

EUA4IIq.png

eEEl5lv.jpg

This helmet (and identity) was way ahead of its time...I realize you made tiny tweaks to it, but it still looks as incredible in 2020 as it did in 1991.

WLAF had a number of identities that were great, but this was one of the best. 

Orlando (which technically is not in South Florida) would look better with blue instead of the orange; London, Frankfurt, and San Antonio look great. 

I'd say use Barcelona instead of Rhein.

I'm selfishly hoping you'll add in updated concepts and ideas for NY/NJ, Montreal, Raleigh, and Sacramento!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived