Wideright updates the NFL

WideRight

The Seattle Seahawks.  Here is the deal.

1. I wanted to return to the 2-blue scheme from the Hasselbeck days. I loved everything about that look except the unitard element, which is easily fixable simply by matching the pants and jersey differently.

2. I also miss the silver helmets from the early days, so those come back too. 

3. But, from the contemporary uniform I wanted to keep some of the Northwest Native American imagery, so you will see a little bit of the feather pattern in the pants, and the shoulder/sleeve treatment is also meant to evoke the seahawk beak.  

So it is a little bit from 3 different eras.  The pants can be matched with any combo, though I would imagine that the silver alternate jerseys are somewhat limited to the silver pants. I envision the blue or silver pants most often with the white jersey and the white or silver pants with the blue home jersey. 

UJZIeQ0.png

Next up, a team that has come so close to perfection a couple of times, it pains me that they just keep missing it.   Who could that be?

I like the idea behind Seattle, even if I'm not a fan of the double blues.

Tampa is close, but the biggest issue that I see is that by brightening the pewter to that chrome/silver color, it makes everything too bright. The dark pewter and deep red let the pale orange and white pop more in my opinion.

Still not sold on the idea that the Powder Blue and white unis are better than the Fouts era navy and yellow.  But, I went with the powder blue anyway.  But, that said, I kept in some navy and I changed up quite a bit.  

DdLq3Uk.png

10 minutes ago, Section30 said:

I'm not sold on the bolts on the front of the jerseys

Me neither. Also, the helmets look too close to the Rams' helmets like that. Not that anyone would confuse blue ofr white, but the Rams own that look, and for their neighbors to try to copy that would be bad.

tinysig.jpg

Only gonna comment on a couple of the concepts here..

Bengals: PLEASE!!! remove the white at the top of the pants stripes.. One of the biggest problems with the current set is the white side panel and bad attempt to carry it into the pants stripes.. Orange and black all the way up!

Bucs: your shade of pewter is too light and too silvery for the Bucs.. Their original pewter seemed about 55% bronze / 45% silver, and on the darker side.. I think keeping pewter off the jerseys was a good call by the Bucs originally, and now, the matte fabrics make the pewter shoulder yokes look off.. So I'd suggest shifting to a darker/bronzier pewter, and dropping it from the jerseys as much as possible.. Another option that would improve consistency would be to possibly shift them to more of a metallic charcoal, and drop the "pewter" altogether.. The best example I can find is a helmet used by "Redlands University".. But I think dropping the warmth of the pewter in favor of a cooler, darker metallic grey would allow the warmth of the red and orange to shine more.. Also, I'd be interested to see the black and orange switched on the numbers for the red jersey.. 

• 6 months later...

After a long hiatus, and with some inspiration from the recent AAF designs (and my concepts), I return to the NFL with the New York Jets.  I grew up a fan of the Kelly uniforms of the 80's-90's, before the retro Namath-era look came back.  So I started with that, added significant influence from the Memphis Express (AAF-- see the jet) and the San Diego Fleet (AAF-- see the jersey pattern) and you get a new version of the kelly helmeted JETS logo.  Wanted to add some black, but it just never seemed to make the look better, so it is pure white & kelly.  New main logo, wordmark and NY logo.  I kept the JETS on the helmet because as long as the Giants go with a NY monogram, the Jets should avoid doing the same. 

7pOet1R.png

Archived