Bruins' Decades Gameday Poster Series (Update 6/16)

Bruins

So for any followers of my 1930's Animation Style NHL Series, this is that on a much grander scale. After a little advice from the great Brandon Moore, I decided to just go whole hog with my deep, deep love of all things retro and, of course, sports and turn that series into this: Introducing my Through the Decades Gameday Poster Series!

WiAmzho.jpg

Roughly every week I'll be posting a poster design for a soon upcoming game based on a totally random draw of league (NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL, with odds slightly adjusted for season) and decade (20's/30's, 50's, 70's and 80's/90's). It's an amazing vehicle for creative possibilities, and I hope to make each poster as distinctly unique as possible. 

The first of the series is for Friday's Game 4 matchup between the (Las)Vegas Golden Knights and the Winnipeg Jets in the style of a 1950's concert poster, like one you might've found in mid-century Vegas advertising Elvis Presley or Fats Domino. As most of these will be, it's type forward, with an added focus here on the "floating heads" that filled the original show posters.

edH7oht.jpg

Hope you like the new idea and first entry, thanks for watching and stay tuned!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Holy Crap, Bruins...this is excellent! You absolutely nailed that first poster with the layout and choice of fonts, etc. ..Two thumbs-up!

Keep at it, 'cause you never know... Check out the story of Dave Murray here..http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2018/05/17/illustrator-and-hockey-fan-gets-job-of-a-lifetime/ via @CityNews

• 2 weeks later...

So a little late for this one, but I had to wait for the two teams to be decided before I could make the poster for the 2018 Lord Stanley's Cup Finals! My random pull was the NHL in the 30's so this recreates the surreal feeling of many posters from that era and portrays the Knights as a sort of heroic underdog, even though they're probably the favorites in the series. I also styled it mostly after 30's show posters with a little influence from early century war posters, as well as the subtle geometric designs often used back then. Hope you like the newest entry, an NBA Finals poster should be showing up soon! Thx guys!

43rs9B6.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• 2 weeks later...

K, so the Finals actually are over, but that would've made for a pretty lame poster. All colors used used by Cavs at one point in their history. 70's Bron.

iwcPjT1.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I really really like these but, is it just me that thinks Lebron looks chubbier than usual? I know he’s looking down but somthings off.

Yeah, I've heard that a couple places, I agree I made his face a little too fat. Thx though!

This week's random draw was the MLB in the 20's, so I made some Babe Ruth era, super old school baseball cards for Rizzo and Molina, stars of the Sunday Night Baseball game tomorrow night.

h82EgnE.jpg

What do you think?

Lz5f6vZ.png

Archived