SportsLogos.Net News

49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

If color rush is no longer mandated, why the hell are teams choosing to go with white socks? Ruins the entire thing...

 

they didn't decide to do this uniform just this year. they've probably had this in the works as their Color Rush option. they can still elect to wear their red socks for the games, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WavePunter said:

My example was STRICTLY related to the trend of knit footwear.. Discussing the role of knit fabrics in other garments is irrelevant.. It was an example of a trendy fabric due to its trendy use in footwear.. Also, Reebok's version of TechFit was, in at least a few ways, different from the current PrimeKnit iteration, and both are drastically different from their PrimeKnit footwear.. But the fact that knit footwear is springing up all over the place currently shows a trend in fabric.. 

I think matte fabrics became a trend because they were different from the norm and could be paired with some Nike-speak to justify the switch, thus driving sales and the new perceived "standard".. Dazzle-esque fabrics will become popular again when Nike runs out of other ideas

 

In my personal experience dazzle is not as comfortable as some of the stretchier matte nike materials (or any company for that matter but i specifically have experience with nike). 

 

We switched to nike football uniforms senior year and they were better fitting yet significantly more comfortable. I guess there are variations of dazzle, but the lighter ones were often not very stretchy. Especially compared to some of the newer materials used for basketball/soccer uniforms. 

 

I own a few pairs of adidas golf pants and they're extremely comfortable. Granted golf pants have never had a shiny finish of any sort, but i would imagine similar materials are utilized in their construction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

 

In my personal experience dazzle is not as comfortable as some of the stretchier matte nike materials (or any company for that matter but i specifically have experience with nike). 

 

We switched to nike football uniforms senior year and they were better fitting yet significantly more comfortable. I guess there are variations of dazzle, but the lighter ones were often not very stretchy. Especially compared to some of the newer materials used for basketball/soccer uniforms. 

 

I own a few pairs of adidas golf pants and they're extremely comfortable. Granted golf pants have never had a shiny finish of any sort, but i would imagine similar materials are utilized in their construction. 

I can attest first hand that Adidas's dazzle pants were stretchier and more comfortable than the ShockWeb version.. We practice in old dazzle game pants and play in ShockWeb pants, and not only do the players prefer the practice pants, but they usually have to go up in size for game pants.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 9:12 PM, WavePunter said:

I can attest first hand that Adidas's dazzle pants were stretchier and more comfortable than the ShockWeb version.. We practice in old dazzle game pants and play in ShockWeb pants, and not only do the players prefer the practice pants, but they usually have to go up in size for game pants.. 

I feel for those guys:

 

"The practice pants are so much more comfortable than the pants we actually wear on game days... can't we just use those?"

- :"No. Adidas gave us a lot of money to use the new stuff."

"Oh, well can I have some of that money?"

- "No."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I feel for those guys:

 

"The practice pants are so much more comfortable than the pants we actually wear on game days... can't we just use those?"

- :"No. Adidas gave us a lot of money to use the new stuff."

"Oh, well can I have some of that money?"

- "No."

 

Sadly, Adidas didn't give us a lot of money.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HooperScooper said:

I don't get why people are praising these. I like them but didn't people HATE those versions when they came out? 

 

Not that I remember...a lot of people liked them, from what I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

Not that I remember...a lot of people liked them, from what I recall.

Then why did they only last five season? Why did they go back to their old school uniforms? I definitely remember a huge backlash about the 'ugly' shadow drop and white pants. There was a 49ers fan on Reddit met who said the current uniforms was perfect and hated this 'redesign' someone made here (that redesign was adding gold and black trim to the numbers and fixing the stripping) and reached about how they're worse the 90-2000 uniforms with the shadow drop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HooperScooper said:

I don't get why people are praising these. I like them but didn't people HATE those versions when they came out? 

 

I think it mainly has to do with it being the uniform they won their last Super Bowl in. Other than that ... yeah, I'm with you on the praise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HooperScooper said:

Then why did they only last five season? Why did they go back to their old school uniforms?

 

That wasn’t this jersey.  That was the overdesigned mess thèse jerseys inspired.

 

Hearst2.jpg

 

If the 49ers had limited themselves to the 1994 throwback instead of going Full Nineties, their replacement look might have lasted longer.  And FWIW, those were around for over a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their look was hardly “full 90s”. Too many logos, but the rest of it was totally fine, even with the added black. Maybe the darker red could have been skipped, but I happened to like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The darker colors, the added black, too-many logos, the pointless extra outlines muddying up the numbers.

 

If that's not Full Nineties, it's damn near close enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, shaydre1019 said:

In my personal experience dazzle is not as comfortable as some of the stretchier matte nike materials (or any company for that matter but i specifically have experience with nike). 

I’ve seen people on this forum claim they found dazzle more comfortable than matte Nike materials. 

 

They’re not wrong. You’re not wrong. It’s just clear to me at this point that neither is objectively more comfortable than the other, and people need to stop brandying their personal experiences around as if they were universal truths.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

That wasn’t this jersey.  That was the overdesigned mess thèse jerseys inspired.

 

Hearst2.jpg

 

If the 49ers had limited themselves to the 1994 throwback instead of going Full Nineties, their replacement look might have lasted longer.  And FWIW, those were around for over a decade. 

I know they different but they still aren't adored and lasted from 90-94 until that one. I know I saw this lost of worst nfl redesigns and the 94 ones were on there. Honestly that jersey you put looks way better but I get why niner fans dislike since it was when the organization was :censored: and they went through 8 OC while Alex Smith was QB. There's even parts I wish their current uniforms should include. Their current jerseys are kind of boring and could use some gold trim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HooperScooper said:

I don't get why people are praising these. I like them but didn't people HATE those versions when they came out? 

 

For me, I’m excited about it purely for nostalgic reasons. I’ve explained the whole story on another thread before, but the very short of it is that, as a little kid, comparing the late 90’s set to the uniform they’re throwing back to after seeing it in a book is the very thing that got me interested in uniforms in the first place, so I’m really excited to see the ‘94 set again for that reason.

 

It definitely has its flaws, mainly the pant stripe colors (probably doesn’t need the black at all) and you could argue the whole thing would be better with gold pants (though I really don’t mind the idea and look of white pants to be honest, I could go either way on that), but it’s one of those uniforms I just still love despite the flaws. It’s kinda quirky, it being in its roots a throwback to the 50’s from the neck down, a time when uniform quirks were prominent, and the quirks make it a bit charming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

For me, I’m excited about it purely for nostalgic reasons. I’ve explained the whole story on another thread before, but the very short of it is that, as a little kid, comparing the late 90’s set to the uniform they’re throwing back to after seeing it in a book is the very thing that got me interested in uniforms in the first place, so I’m really excited to see the ‘94 set again for that reason.

 

It definitely has its flaws, mainly the pant stripe colors (probably doesn’t need the black at all) and you could argue the whole thing would be better with gold pants (though I really don’t mind the idea and look of white pants to be honest, I could go either way on that), but it’s one of those uniforms I just still love despite the flaws. It’s kinda quirky, it being in its roots a throwback to the 50’s from the neck down, a time when uniform quirks were prominent, and the quirks make it a bit charming.

I just feel that people will give old uniforms a pass for everything and criticize anything new. Like I was discussing on Reddit with a Vikings fan and he hates their uniforms simply because of the numbers and the stripping looking like horns and wants the throw backs full time despite its numerous flaws (yellow touching white stripping, inconsistent purple, gray facemask). He even praised the inconsistency between home and away excusing it because they'll never wear it at the same time but happily criticized the seahawks inconsistencies hearse the shoulder patch isn't green like with the home jersey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HooperScooper said:

I just feel that people will give old uniforms a pass for everything and criticize anything new. Like I was discussing on Reddit with a Vikings fan and he hates their uniforms simply because of the numbers and the stripping looking like horns and wants the throw backs full time despite its numerous flaws (yellow touching white stripping, inconsistent purple, gray facemask). He even praised the inconsistency between home and away excusing it because they'll never wear it at the same time but happily criticized the seahawks inconsistencies hearse the shoulder patch isn't green like with the home jersey

 

I’d be very, very willing to bet that’s not how everyone who likes old uniforms thinks. From my experience here, there’s more than a few who readily acknowledge quirks or flaws in uniforms they do like, and still suggest and may even advocate solutions to them despite their love for them in order to better them. One I can recall is some people who like the Rams throwbacks, and suggesting tweaking the helmet color from navy to royal blue to match the rest of the uniform. I myself would definitely change the 49ers’ throwback pant stripe colors if I were calling the shots, quirky and charming as it may be and nostalgia aside. Red-white-red would work infinitely better and match with the helmet stripes. Am I still thrilled to see it as is? You bet, but not because I think it’s perfect; I’m thrilled simply because it stokes up a happy, nostalgic emotion. And even then, I can still feel that for it as-it-is, yet still fully admit I’d make a changes here and there if I were given the keys to the car.

 

But anyways, sure there’s some out there who might fit what you’re talking about, but not everyone fits or lives inside that box or any box for that matter. One of the most important things I’ve learned during my time here on the boards is that opinion really does vary from person to person, and that there’s probably a different set of “rules” or “creeds” to live by for every single sports uniform fan in the world. Even two fans who agree on a lot of things may still, despite similar interests and tastes, disagree on something down the road. And all of that variance is just fine! In fact, it’s awesome! It’s what keeps us talking, discussing, learning, and evolving in our opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

I’d be very, very willing to bet that’s not how everyone who likes old uniforms thinks. From my experience here, there’s more than a few who readily acknowledge quirks or flaws in uniforms they do like, and still suggest and may even advocate solutions to them despite their love for them in order to better them. One I can recall is some people who like the Rams throwbacks, and suggesting tweaking the helmet color from navy to royal blue to match the rest of the uniform. I myself would definitely change the 49ers’ throwback pant stripe colors if I were calling the shots, quirky and charming as it may be and nostalgia aside. Red-white-red would work infinitely better and match with the helmet stripes. Am I still thrilled to see it as is? You bet, but not because I think it’s perfect; I’m thrilled simply because it stokes up a happy, nostalgic emotion. And even then, I can still feel that for it as-it-is, yet still fully admit I’d make a changes here and there if I were given the keys to the car.

 

But anyways, sure there’s some out there who might fit what you’re talking about, but not everyone fits or lives inside that box or any box for that matter. One of the most important things I’ve learned during my time here on the boards is that opinion really does vary from person to person, and that there’s probably a different set of “rules” or “creeds” to live by for every single sports uniform fan in the world. Even two fans who agree on a lot of things may still, despite similar interests and tastes, disagree on something down the road. And all of that variance is just fine! In fact, it’s awesome! It’s what keeps us talking, discussing, learning, and evolving in our opinions. 

Maybe that's you but it sometimes feels like people like something am ignore or deny their flaws. An example of people criticizing something new and praising the same thing because it's old people dislike the jaguars using black as the primary but say the falcon should use black full time. Another example is that people criticize the falcons black helmets because it shallow out the logo but don't mention it for their old uniforms which is much worse since it has no red or silver and the outline is very small. Or how people hate the logos on shoulders like the pats and panthers as being repetitive but again no mention for the likes of the falcon or seahawks old uniforms. I just don't see the appeal in the old falcon or Seahawk logos or uniforms but so many people praise them and just ignore their shortcomings saying they are perfect. Even the packers 'new' uniforms get criticism over tiny changes no one notices. Hell I see people say the Steelers throw backs should be permit just because it has block numbers? Maybe hardcore steelers fans will notice but most won't

 

Maybe those are just the extreme minority but they certainly are VERY outspoken on Reddit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now