49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

1 hour ago, HooperScooper said:

Maybe those are just the extreme minority but they certainly are VERY outspoken on Reddit

Well, there's your problem right there.

Never take Reddit seriously.  Never think that a group of Reddit posters, no matter how large they seem, represents any significant number of people in the real world.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, there's your problem right there.

Never take Reddit seriously.  Never think that a group of Reddit posters, no matter how large they seem, represents any significant number of people in the real world.

Well I've met quite a few on this website and no offense but I've looked through your post history and you kind of fit what I'm talking about. Like you once said the Steelers throw backs should be permit but it looks basically they same besides the numbers

On 5/24/2018 at 12:37 AM, upperV03 said:

Match the pants stripe with the helmet stripe (and consider a gold outline for rhe pants striping as well).  Replace the black drop shadows with gold on the jersey.  The problem with this look is the use of black to connect the various pieces when they should be using gold to do so.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

The '00s Niners unis were the best look they ever had.

I will die on this hill.

You won't be alone.  We'll die in each other's arms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

young-garcia.jpg

On the left was a reasonable refresh. On the right was gaudy overkill.

The only difference is the pants. The 96-97 unis still had sleeve stripes, Young just hid his. (Note the difference in fonts as well...the 8's are different on the shoulder's between the Young picture above and the Grbac (?) below.

49ers-Falcons-1996-007.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

The only difference is the pants. The 96-97 unis still had sleeve stripes, Young just hid his.

Good on Steve, it does make a huge difference. One of the defining negatives of 90's/00's unis was teams tacking logos onto their sleeves. It really flipped things from "we can sell fans what the players wear" to "let's dress the players in branded gear we can sell to fans." A pretty great idea business-wise, but not aesthetically.

I think the ‘96 redesign had really great intentions, it was just a bit overdone. The thought process behind it was clearly finding a way to own the throwback look full-time while correcting its flaws/quirks and making the look more unified, which in a vacuum was a great idea. I can see that effort in the helmet stripe and pants stripe being redesigned to match up color-wise, and an increased distribution of black and gold to different degrees to try and bring it all together. I do think however, in hindsight, they over-did the other things; darkening the red, slapping logos on the sleeves, and perhaps even adding the black and gold trim to the sleeve stripes were all unnecessary moves. Had those things been left off the table and they did everything else, I think they still would’ve achieved the purpose perfectly without going overboard in doing so, and the product would have been really nice. 

Of course as a kid growing up, I didn’t really see that and just thought it was kewl (and I still like it enough simply for the intention), but now that I’ve grown up and see it in hindsight, I see ways it could’ve been made a much better uniform.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think the ‘96 redesign had really great intentions, it was just a bit overdone. The thought process behind it was clearly finding a way to own the throwback look full-time while correcting its flaws/quirks and making the look more unified, which in a vacuum was a great idea. I can see that effort in the helmet stripe and pants stripe being redesigned to match up color-wise, and an increased distribution of black and gold to different degrees to try and bring it all together. I do think however, in hindsight, they over-did the other things; darkening the red, slapping logos on the sleeves, and perhaps even adding the black and gold trim to the sleeve stripes were all unnecessary moves.

What always bothered me about those uniforms is that the sleeve and helmet stripes didn’t actually match up.

mrn-55ipuymqmg05pniuc3j.jpg?w=620

For all the fussy and overly matchy-matchy design, that one flaw was all the more glaring.  

I don’t mind variations in general, but when the whole point is obviously to balance across all elements, adding black and gold to the jersey, then these inconsistencies really stand out.

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

What always bothered me about those uniforms is that the sleeve and helmet stripes didn’t actually match up.

mrn-55ipuymqmg05pniuc3j.jpg?w=620

For all the fussy and overly matchy-matchy design, that one flaw was all the more glaring.  

I don’t mind variations in general, but when the whole point is obviously to balance across all elements, adding black and gold to the jersey, then these inconsistencies really stand out.

Oh yeah, the gold pants were definitely a problem; I was talking more about the white pants that preceded those, as the gold pants came later:

719050.jpg

(Line weights are different for some reason, but colors are the same)

But yeah, those gold pants were weird, weren’t they? I don’t know what the thinking was behind that stripe. Maybe it was because some players’ helmets had that raised stripe down the middle that made the helmet look like it had a thin gold stripe in between the black and dark red at the right angle, and they thought it’d match that? I don’t know, but definitely a head scratcher for sure. That’s definitely something that’s a bit glaring in hindsight.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Oh yeah, the gold pants were definitely a problem; I was talking more about the white pants that preceded those, as the gold pants came later:

719050.jpg

(Line weights are different for some reason, but colors are the same)

I was going to demonstrate the reason for the different line weights (which I might do anyway . . . sort of).  Instead, I noticed for the first time* that the colors of the stripes on the white pants in this set are reversed from the 1994 throwback pants that they're supposed to emulate.  I'm not sure how/why I never noticed that before.

80d75da92de92b4f47691dc8291ba7db--footba

* -- Or maybe I just forgot in my old age.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oh is @HooperScooper doing the “everyone here likes old stuff and hates all the new stuff” strawman thing? 

That argument got old at least five years ago, dude. 

People don’t hate on new stuff and love old stuff. People like what they think is good and dislike what they think is bad. Regardless of what era it comes from.

If their tastes don’t match up with yours? Ok, that’s cool. Don’t start making generalizations about people just because you find yourself in the minority opinion once and a while though.  

8 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Match the pants stripe with the helmet stripe (and consider a gold outline for rhe pants striping as well).  Replace the black drop shadows with gold on the jersey.  The problem with this look is the use of black to connect the various pieces when they should be using gold to do so.

It’s a throwback. Fixing these issues would make for a more consistent uniform, but it would miss the point. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

The '00s Niners unis were the best look they ever had.

I will die on this hill.

They would have been perfect without the sleeve logos and with the original, brighter red. 

The former is key. They darkened the uniforms by adding more black. Which still could have worked alongside a vibrant, cheery red. Instead they darkened the red while adding black and the whole thing looks muddy, in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s a throwback. Fixing these issues would make for a more consistent uniform, but it would miss the point. 

They would have been perfect without the sleeve logos and with the original, brighter red. 

The former is key. They darkened the uniforms by adding more black. Which still could have worked alongside a vibrant, cheery red. Instead they darkened the red while adding black and the whole thing looks muddy, in my opinion. 

Did the original 96 use the standard red and then when they added the gold pants everything darkened?

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I generally choose aesthetics over accuracy in uniforms.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 10/17/2018 at 10:24 PM, Gothamite said:

:rolleyes:

Just a word of advice; conversations are generally better when you can refrain from personal comments.   Focus on the person’s argument, not the person.   

I'm not trying to insult you. I just don't get what makes the Steelers throw backs that much better. I'm sorry if you thought it was an insult but that wasn't my intention. I'm just curious as why you think the Steelers throw back that much better

Archived