SportsLogos.Net News

49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This jersey, with the current helmet and the new white pants...

 

san_dewayne_francisco_1962_11_18.jpg

 

StClair49.jpg0911821dc0aab369ab43f00c6965b0d9.jpg

 

I would totally be down with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Funny, I'm so used to seeing the Niners in gold that my brain doesn't even register that as silver. I just assumed it was a washed out photo. 

 

I know what you mean.  I had to double check before I posted just to be sure it was a picture from the silver years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no inside information, but I'll be kind of shocked if the new throwback isn't the 1994/1955 uniforms. Not only is it a good looking uniform that differs noticeably from the current set, but they won the Super Bowl the last year they wore it, and that's something cool. And 1994 was at the very start of the team apparel merchandising boom, so there aren't that many 1994 throwback jerseys floating around already.

 

The 1959-63 jersey with the shoulder hoops is cool as well, but it's more or less the current road jersey with different sleeve striping. To the average fan, I'm not sure if that's enough of a difference to buy another jersey, which is ultimately the point of any alternate uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From Al Guido (the 49ers team president), it appears to be the case.  No other historical throwback is mentioned, not even the Silver/Red teams of the early 60s.  It will be probably be those 1994 throwbacks (based on the 1955 throwbacks) with minor modifications for today's player.

 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/22/17380812/49ers-alternate-throwback-uniform-announcement-on-wednesday

Edited by The_Creek
Syntax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 1994 throwbacks are SO BORING. They look like an Eastbay catalogue set that somehow made it into a Super Bowl. I'll never understand why people like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Those 1994 throwbacks are SO BORING. They look like an Eastbay catalogue set that somehow made it into a Super Bowl. I'll never understand why people like them.

 

98% of football throwback are pretty boring. Boring and bad aren't the same. 

 

I don't think it's an awful look: 

 

49ers-Falcons-1994-028.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

98% of football throwback are pretty boring. 

 

Well, they're simpler, that's for sure. But the 94 49ers (fun!) swapped distinct gold pants for boring white ones and removed color from the road set. It's an especially egregious simplification of a sports uniform. I get why they did it in 94, but I can't understand why they'd go back to it. Especially since the Owens/Garcia-era uniforms blended the best of both the throwback and Montana-era uniforms so well.

 

However, if this means that terrible black set disappears forever, then that's pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

98% of football throwback are pretty boring. 

 

98% may be bit of an exaggeration;

 

thrbks_zps4gxmo0wu.png

 

Apparently, the key is... yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

98% of football throwback are pretty boring. Boring and bad aren't the same. 

 

I don't think it's an awful look: 

 

49ers-Falcons-1994-028.jpg

 

The real question will be whether they're detail-oriented enough to swap the current helmet logo (gold oval inside the black oval, slight drop shadow on the SF) for the '90s one when they wear the throwbacks. Of course, the actual 1955 uniforms used plain red helmets, so we'd be talking about a 1994 throwback rather than a 1955 one.

GettyImages-627028444_1503515900053_647204-20334-3.jpg?1334185680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

Well, they're simpler, that's for sure. But the 94 49ers (fun!) swapped distinct gold pants for boring white ones and removed color from the road set. It's an especially egregious simplification of a sports uniform. I get why they did it in 94, but I can't understand why they'd go back to it. Especially since the Owens/Garcia-era uniforms blended the best of both the throwback and Montana-era uniforms so well.

 

However, if this means that terrible black set disappears forever, then that's pretty good.

 

I remember the 94 set when it came out feeling quite refreshing. White pants felt clean compared to the dull brown (not really gold) pants that the Niners had been wearing. Moreover they incorporated exactly the right amount of black: straight drop shadow and the middle stripe on the pants only. The Owens/Garcia uniforms by contrast were really busy: extra gold outlines on the numbers, black shadow on the sleeve stripes, oval logo overlaying the stripes, and outer black stripes on the pants. So the 94 throwbacks struck a really nice balance.

 

Also bringing up the Elephant in the room: the 1994 team destroyed everyone in the NFL that season. They were a bulldozer. The Owens/Garcia teams were good but never dominant like the 1994 team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So from a jersey perspective, not much more than a drop shadow? Don't get me wrong, the Niners have always looked great, but I'd love to see an alternate that breaks the mold (not black though). Always wanted to at least SEE a gold jersey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '94 uniform looked pretty damn good - it was the '96-'08 unis that were atrocious, mainly due to the darker Red and overuse of Black.  The '94 unis had a nice balance and great memories attached to them.  If it's not these, it has to be either the UCLA stripe with White pants, or a uniform that basically matched the mock-up released on Twitter a few months back - both will look excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UGH!! I hated those shaded numbers the Niners wore back in the 90's..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

 the 1994 team destroyed everyone in the NFL that season

 

Except the Eagles, which is still one of the most inexplicable games of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

 

Except the Eagles, which is still one of the most inexplicable games of all time.

 

Truth be told, I think they needed that game. They needed to be kicked around like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

So from a jersey perspective, not much more than a drop shadow? Don't get me wrong, the Niners have always looked great, but I'd love to see an alternate that breaks the mold (not black though). Always wanted to at least SEE a gold jersey

 

As a Niners fan, my thoughts exactly. I always thought we should've went all gold for Color Rush. It upsets me that gold isn't stressed more since that's one of our 2 primary colors, especially on fan apparel. 

 

I'm excited to see what we roll out tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linkboy said:

 

Truth be told, I think they needed that game. They needed to be kicked around like that. 

40-8.

 

After that game, they went with the throwbacks exclusively. And won a championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

40-8.

 

After that game, they went with the throwbacks exclusively. And won a championship.

 

They went 15-1 that year in the throwbacks. The only loss coming in the final game of the regular season, in which Steve Young sat out for the greater part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Young was ready to kill Seifert that afternoon 

 

 

I feel like it's going to be the 1994 throwbacks but with TV numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

So from a jersey perspective, not much more than a drop shadow? Don't get me wrong, the Niners have always looked great, but I'd love to see an alternate that breaks the mold (not black though). Always wanted to at least SEE a gold jersey


Gold jerseys are always hit or miss.  Lately, it seems like the modern materials can't facilitate a proper metallic gold, which comes off looking more like khaki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now