49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

You’re kind of shifting the goal posts, as excluding CR unis was not part of the original question. This new 49ers uni is a Color Rush uni.

I am not shifting the question. I am  clarifying what I was asking. Because if these throwbacks are Color Rush and the all blacks were Color Rush, a team can't have two Color Rush sets? Therefore, one of them has to go, which means the Niners won't have four jerseys in their rotations for this season at least then.

Go A's!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

I am not shifting the question. I am  clarifying what I was asking. Because if these throwbacks are Color Rush and the all blacks were Color Rush, a team can't have two Color Rush sets? Therefore, one of them has to go, which means the Niners won't have four jerseys in their rotations for this season at least then.

Niners had black jersey before color rush as their one alternate.  They used it as color rush when that started and just changed socks. Now black goes back as designated to regular alt. With Niners saying it’s still available. 

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

7 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

“A team can’t have four jerseys, right?” is a completely different question than “A team can’t have two Color Rush jerseys, right?”

You asked if a team can have four jerseys...yes, they can. I didn’t think they could have two CR jerseys, but maybe so. (Apparently so if the black set is just an alternate).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, The Golden One said:

Niners had black jersey before color rush as their one alternate.  They used it as color rush when that started and just changed socks. Now black goes back as designated to regular alt. With Niners saying it’s still available. 

Which was what I was expecting for them to do. No way they were going to just give up on the black alts after only three seasons. It's apparently still popular among some of the fan base

Go A's!

3 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Some of those were the mandated Color Rush unis. But if we took CR out of it, did any team have four in rotation?

Why would we take Color Rush out of it? While the program is changing so as to not be a requirement, it is still an available option to the teams giving them 4 uniforms available. This new set clearly looks to be Color Rush as they are all wearing white socks.

I’m not saying the black is definitely staying, but there has been absolutely no reason to assume this is replacing the black. They can absolutely keep all 4 sets if they so choose.

All this does is give the 9ers another option and they are free to redesignate their black set back to “normal alternate” just like it used to be pre-Color Rush with red socks rather than black.

COYvBx5UcAIB0l7.png

851135536.0.jpg

I guess the black being CR and this one being labeled as CR got me confused as to if having two CR sets is allowed. But since CR is no longer mandatory, that kind of gives the Niners room to work with on these things in terms of uni rotation 

Go A's!

6 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Definitely not, but not sure who exactly would get credit for it. The blue unis the Packers have worn recently have technically been a throwback to 94 as they wore the yellow lids then and are forced to now. The cowboys went double star in the early 00s which being the blue base would be a throwback to 95 r 96.

But whenever the Packers are wearing those throwbacks are they throwing back to '94 or the original year? I thought about the Cowboys too, but I consider the 90s double-star a new jersey when they came out and not a throwback that year.

The Niners are actually throwing back to the '94 throwbacks.

6 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Why would we take Color Rush out of it? While the program is changing so as to not be a requirement, it is still an available option to the teams giving them 4 uniforms available. This new set clearly looks to be Color Rush as they are all wearing white socks.

I’m not saying the black is definitely staying, but there has been absolutely no reason to assume this is replacing the black. They absolutely keep all 4 sets if they so choose.

All this does is give the 9option and they are free to redesignate their black set back to “normal alternate” just like it used to be pre-Color Rush with red socks rather than black.

The assumption about replacing black came from First reports saying a new alternate would be announced to replace the blacks.  That falsely left the wrong assumption out there.

Since niners are calling white color rush though they can only wear it once.  The black as a regular alternate they can still wear twice if they want too. 

Wish the stripes were thinner like the throwbacks. The thickness (and having most players not actually have sleeves) gives this throwback a unique distinct look as players from 1994 with no sleeves just had the stripes disappear underneath the pads 

T2bnyjO.jpg

49ers-Broncos-1994-027.jpg

Go A's!

2 minutes ago, The Golden One said:

The assumption about replacing black came from First reports saying a new alternate would be announced to replace the blacks.  That falsely left the wrong assumption out their. 

Since niners are calling white color rush though they can only wear it once.  The black as a regular alternate they can still wear twice if they want too. 

From what I recall, I believe the first source on the 49ers new uniform unveiling was Niners Nation, an SB Nation blog. All that the article says is that the new set would likely replace the black and the article proceeds to incorrectly interpret the league uniform guidelines, as we have shown over the last page or so. Four uniform sets are clearly permitted thanks to Color Rush. Not exactly what I’d call the most reliable source of reporting.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/17/17364882/49ers-new-alternate-uniforms-2018-replacing-black

9 minutes ago, The Golden One said:

The assumption about replacing black came from First reports saying a new alternate would be announced to replace the blacks.  That falsely left the wrong assumption out there.

With color rush no longer being a defacto program with those rules, that may no longer be the case any longer. Part of me thinks the graphics for color rush were already in place prior to the league discontinuing the program.  That's not to say the blacks are gone, but its not a forgone conclusion that they're still there and that the 94 look is only allowed 1 time.

Just now, 63Bulldogs63 said:

With color rush no longer being a defacto program with those rules that may no longer be the case any longer. Part of me thinks the graphics for color rush were already in place prior to the league discontinuing the program.  That's not to say the blacks are gone, but its not a forgone conclusion that they're still there and that the 94 look is only allowed 1 time.

Perhaps these white throwbacks are only here for this season while the black unis will just be put away in the closet for now. Then in 2019 the black unis return to the rotation. 

Go A's!

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

From what I recall, I believe the first source on the 49ers new uniform unveiling was Niners Nation, an SB Nation blog. All that the article says is that the new set would likely replace the black and the article proceeds to incorrectly interpret the league uniform guidelines, as we have shown over the last page or so. Four uniform sets are clearly permitted thanks to Color Rush. Not exactly what I’d call the most reliable source of reporting.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/17/17364882/49ers-new-alternate-uniforms-2018-replacing-black

Yea sadly being the first to report something helps spreads false info. Regardless of the reliability. 

Just now, phutmasterflex said:

Perhaps these white throwbacks are only here for this season while the black unis will just be put away in the closet for now. Then in 2019 the black unis return to the rotation. 

That could very well be the case, but regarding next year, my money is on the red top being an alternate or throw back to celebrate that SB season. On the other hand we don't even have a clue yet if the league is going to do a league wide thing.

6 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

With color rush no longer being a defacto program with those rules, that may no longer be the case any longer. Part of me thinks the graphics for color rush were already in place prior to the league discontinuing the program.  That's not to say the blacks are gone, but its not a forgone conclusion that they're still there and that the 94 look is only allowed 1 time.

Niners said black still available. 

While I don’t know for a fact white is only allowed one game.  I do know that was the rule prior to this season for color rush.  I do know that this is being called their color rush uniform by the league and Niners said it would be worn for one of their home games. 

I'm surprised to not see more folks here getting gratuitously tight about the stripes, so I'll start:

Why the hell would they switch their design to be only two stripes a year ago under the guise that the classic three stripes just couldn't fit, yet they're showing right here that they're perfectly capable of doing that? It's the nittiest of picks for sure, but it's a head-scratcher nonetheless.

I was also a bit disappointed at first that these are intended to be color rush since it meant we would likely see these matched up against some team wearing in an all-red monstrosity or something. However, their one Thursday night game of this year is against the Raiders, who would be forced to wear their normal unis, so at least the matchup won't be entirely spoiled (assuming that the color rush designation means they intend to wear it on Thursday night if possible).

3 minutes ago, Gupti said:

I'm surprised to not see more folks here getting gratuitously tight about the stripes, so I'll start:

Why the hell would they switch their design to be only two stripes a year ago under the guise that the classic three stripes just couldn't fit, yet they're showing right here that they're perfectly capable of doing that? It's the nittiest of picks for sure, but it's a head-scratcher nonetheless.

I was also a bit disappointed at first that these are intended to be color rush since it meant we would likely see these matched up against some team wearing in an all-red monstrosity or something. However, their one Thursday night game of this year is against the Raiders, who would be forced to wear their normal unis, so at least the matchup won't be entirely spoiled (assuming that the color rush designation means they intend to wear it on Thursday night if possible).

Yea 3 stripes is what I saw and mentioned right away. Still going with Nike did it because of adidas. But with calling this a throwback. Made it harder to leave one off. 

With color rush not mandatory anymore.  It sounds like it doesn’t have to be Thursday either.  Now color rush is just an excuse fir a team to have a 4th jersey for a game if they want. It also stops teams from complaining about losing a jersey with the disbanding color rush being mandatory. 

17 minutes ago, spockEars7 said:

Some #not94Niners uniforms slipped into the video.

ZDY79oT.png

kT1hJ7b.jpg

9b3BfVc.png

You can only get so much footage from only a handful of games in 1994. I think they were just emphasizing the all white look, which is why they threw in some 1996 clips

Go A's!

Archived