49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 3 completely different sets of striping for the helmet, sleeves, and pants, there are some bad inconsistency issues with that uniform.

However, the bold drop-shadow numbers is a nice change, in comparison to the bland one color numbers.

34 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

With 3 completely different sets of striping for the helmet, sleeves, and pants, there are some bad inconsistency issues with that uniform.

However, the bold drop-shadow numbers is a nice change, in comparison to the bland one color numbers.

It's already been said, but it's a throwback, not an original, new design.  This is how the stripes were in '94, and they weren't going to change that now.  Not sure why people can't comprehend this.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I wouldn’t judge off of that. The jerseys haven’t been modified for game use. 

Not sure how much more modified it could be since Joe’s is already cut so tight you can see his shoulder pads. But anywho, here’s a pic of him on the field last year with basically the same real estate to work with, if not slightly cramped.

E046_B377_5059_45_F0_A810_E46_F5_EDBB324 

They make the two stripes extra wide, too, for some reason, and they were also able to move the swoosh for the throwbacks. Three can fit.

19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It happens on an aesthetic front from time to time, but there’s no such thing as a “trendy fabric.” Those are developed with performance and performance only in mind, whether it’s fit, stretch, durability, airflow, weight, feel, etc.

There's definitely such a thing as a "trendy finish", though.. As evidenced by the recent fad of matte and satin helmets.. 

Also, I think an argument could be made for "trendy fabrics" anyway.. Look at trendy shoes currently - most feature a "knit" upper material and usually some sort of heathered look.. That's absolutely a trendy material.. So much so, that following Nike's "flyknit", Adidas saw the need to develop "primeknit", and UA created "threadborne" to keep up with the trend.. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

There's definitely such a thing as a "trendy finish", though.. As evidenced by the recent fad of matte and satin helmets.. 

Also, I think an argument could be made for "trendy fabrics" anyway.. Look at trendy shoes currently - most feature a "knit" upper material and usually some sort of heathered look.. That's absolutely a trendy material.. So much so, that following Nike's "flyknit", Adidas saw the need to develop "primeknit", and UA created "threadborne" to keep up with the trend.. 

But knit fabrics have been around for decades on athletic garments. I’d argue that wovens in sport garments like we’re seeing in the NBA and college football are more “trendy” than knits. It’s definitely taken off in footwear, but it’s still a functional pursuit (that of comfort, flexibility, zoned support without the need to add external pieces, etc.) Heather I would classify as a trend, but again, there’s no performance function to heather. It’s a completely aesthetic feature.

Also, just some background; Primeknit wasn’t a reaction to Flyknit. The timing of when each made it to the market shows that they could have only been developed in tandem. The original Reebok version of the engineered knit jersey (used in the NFL on the Giants and Jags) also predates both of them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, spockEars7 said:

Some #not94Niners uniforms slipped into the video.

ZDY79oT.png

kT1hJ7b.jpg

9b3BfVc.png

Look, when life gives you an opportunity to show Merton Hanks doing the Funky Chicken, you run with that.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

But knit fabrics have been around for decades on athletic garments. I’d argue that wovens in sport garments like we’re seeing in the NBA and college football are more “trendy” than knits. It’s definitely taken off in footwear, but it’s still a functional pursuit (that of comfort, flexibility, zoned support without the need to add external pieces, etc.) Heather I would classify as a trend, but again, there’s no performance function to heather. It’s a completely aesthetic feature.

Also, just some background; Primeknit wasn’t a reaction to Flyknit. The timing of when each made it to the market shows that they could have only been developed in tandem. The original Reebok version of the engineered knit jersey (used in the NFL on the Giants and Jags) also predates both of them.

My example was STRICTLY related to the trend of knit footwear.. Discussing the role of knit fabrics in other garments is irrelevant.. It was an example of a trendy fabric due to its trendy use in footwear.. Also, Reebok's version of TechFit was, in at least a few ways, different from the current PrimeKnit iteration, and both are drastically different from their PrimeKnit footwear.. But the fact that knit footwear is springing up all over the place currently shows a trend in fabric.. 

I think matte fabrics became a trend because they were different from the norm and could be paired with some Nike-speak to justify the switch, thus driving sales and the new perceived "standard".. Dazzle-esque fabrics will become popular again when Nike runs out of other ideas

16 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Look, when life gives you an opportunity to show Merton Hanks doing the Funky Chicken, you run with that.

Some of my greatest memories from that team are Deion's endzone dances and Hanks' Funky Chicken.

3 hours ago, Gupti said:

Not sure how much more modified it could be since Joe’s is already cut so tight you can see his shoulder pads. But anywho, here’s a pic of him on the field last year with basically the same real estate to work with, if not slightly cramped.

E046_B377_5059_45_F0_A810_E46_F5_EDBB324 

They make the two stripes extra wide, too, for some reason, and they were also able to move the swoosh for the throwbacks. Three can fit.

If it was three, people would be complaining that the jersey stripes don’t match the pant stripes.  ? 

I think it’s fine either way.  Between the limited space and 3-stripe adidas look, Nike probably convinced them to go with 2 thicker stripes that would show up better and not give their unis a competitor’s trademark look.  

I prefer the 2-stripe look, even though I was a huge Niners fan as a kid and think their classic look should be mostly untouchable.  Sometimes a subtle sleeve stripe update can do wonders for a uniform (see Chiefs, Kansas City).

13 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

My example was STRICTLY related to the trend of knit footwear.. Discussing the role of knit fabrics in other garments is irrelevant.. It was an example of a trendy fabric due to its trendy use in footwear.. Also, Reebok's version of TechFit was, in at least a few ways, different from the current PrimeKnit iteration, and both are drastically different from their PrimeKnit footwear.. But the fact that knit footwear is springing up all over the place currently shows a trend in fabric.. 

I think matte fabrics became a trend because they were different from the norm and could be paired with some Nike-speak to justify the switch, thus driving sales and the new perceived "standard".. Dazzle-esque fabrics will become popular again when Nike runs out of other ideas

I guess I see a marked difference in using knit just to use knit, for example, on a type of shoe that is already inherently comfortable and is not intended for athletic movement, such as a slipper. That to me is trendy.

Using knit in a running shoe to create a more snug, responsive fit with fewer pressure points and greater flexibility is just form following function.

I suppose it’s coincidentally trendy simply because people like it, but when I define “trendy,” I tend to think of fads that ignore function in their pursuit of mass appeal, like matte helmets.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, Volt said:

If it was three, people would be complaining that the jersey stripes don’t match the pant stripes.  ? 

I think it’s fine either way.  Between the limited space and 3-stripe adidas look, Nike probably convinced them to go with 2 thicker stripes that would show up better and not give their unis a competitor’s trademark look.  

I prefer the 2-stripe look, even though I was a huge Niners fan as a kid and think their classic look should be mostly untouchable.  Sometimes a subtle sleeve stripe update can do wonders for a uniform (see Chiefs, Kansas City).

I actually prefer the three stripe design, especially when they had them on the socks. I like the visual texture and separation that is achieved with the finer stripe design on the sleeves/socks mixed with the bold, two color design on the gold helmet and pants.

10 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I actually prefer the three stripe design, especially when they had them on the socks. I like the visual texture and separation that is achieved with the finer stripe design on the sleeves/socks mixed with the bold, two color design on the gold helmet and pants.

Also, it helped that the gold elements were anchored with more color (gold, red, white) and heavier stripes (and therefore fewer stripes), while the white elements "beefed up" their appearance with the additional stripe, since they lack the gold and have thinner stripes.. 

When uniform elements are different enough, they can justifiably have different striping patterns (within reason, and if done correctly), which can enhance the look - and the 3-stripe 49ers are a perfect example of this..

15 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It certainly works well that way also as it separates those elements.  Would love to see them wear these Throwbacks with the ‘94 red striped socks as well...those were part of what made this set great then.

19 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I guess I see a marked difference in using knit just to use knit, for example, on a type of shoe that is already inherently comfortable and is not intended for athletic movement, such as a slipper. That to me is trendy.

Using knit in a running shoe to create a more snug, responsive fit with fewer pressure points and greater flexibility is just form following function.

I suppose it’s coincidentally trendy simply because people like it, but when I define “trendy,” I tend to think of fads that ignore function in their pursuit of mass appeal, like matte helmets.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but when the "performance" fabrics are used on fashion products, it feels more like trend following to me.. 

But similarly, there is always give-and-take with anything.. And the same benefits you listed with the knit shoe fabric could be countered with points that detail the benefits of a looser shoe with less flexibility, and how the flexibility actually can lower the responsiveness of the fit, etc.. (This is not me shooting down your analysis of the benefits provided by knit footwear.. I think you're spot-on.. Just illustrating the give-and-take).. So, some creative Nike-speak could be used to make two opposite things seem equally beneficial.. An ecsaine upper might be the best option for wrestling, because many "performance benefits" of knit footwear would actually be handicaps..

Moral of the story, I think the backstory of function is often added as a result of the change in form.. I think some of the technological advances that led to the "improved" matte fabrics are legitimate, but they also come with some reciprocatory drawbacks.. Nike will exploit those drawbacks (or rather highlight the benefits of stretchier, shinier fabrics) at some point in the future to shake things up and move the needle

6 hours ago, Volt said:

If Adidas was the problem (which it shouldn’t be) then the Pats would’ve been forced to change their road socks a long time ago (since their three stripes come directly from Adidas’s design). Also, the Niners have been wearing three stripes since the early 50s, so both Nike and Adidas should just kick rocks in that case.

18 hours ago, leopard88 said:

So it's a throwback to a fauxback.

Which, honestly, makes more sense. The 1994 49ers team won the Super Bowl in dominating fashion, whereas the 1955 49ers team finished 4-8. It's not like there are any famous photos or lasting memories from 1955, but there are plenty from 1994. Because of this, it's cooler to do a throwback to 1994 than 1955 anyway.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived