OnWis97

Choking / Cursed Franchises

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I'll mention some college suckatude.

The following Power 5 program have never won a NCAA team title in any sport.

Mississippi State (has fielded teams for 123 years)

Virginia Tech

Kansas State

Now, there are two others who I won't include as they "won" in Division 1 football: Pitt and Ole Miss. Pitt's 1976 Championship was unanimous (even though they claim eight others).

Ole Miss claims three with 1962 being recognized by three lesser of those who polled, but not AP or UPI.

The 1937 Pitt team was also the consensus National Champs, and we can't forget about the great teams in the early 1980s. Given the success of Pitt players in the NFL, there's no doubt the program should have won more since the 1990s. Younger fans may not realize how dominant that 1976 team was, they destroyed Notre Dame in South Bend, beat Penn State convincingly, and handed SEC Champion Georgia one of the most lopsided defeats that conference has suffered in Sugar Bowl history. Much more recently, they've had some impressive signature wins over Clemson, Penn State, and Miami.

15 hours ago, tp49 said:

I now wish to add the New York Mets to the list of cursed/choking franchises. 

The first WS that I ever really watched was '86, so I can never consider the Mets "cursed", considering they won because the other team was cursed.

11 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

The 1937 Pitt team was also the consensus National Champs, and we can't forget about the great teams in the early 1980s. Given the success of Pitt players in the NFL, there's no doubt the program should have won more since the 1990s. Younger fans may not realize how dominant that 1976 team was, they destroyed Notre Dame in South Bend, beat Penn State convincingly, and handed SEC Champion Georgia one of the most lopsided defeats that conference has suffered in Sugar Bowl history. Much more recently, they've had some impressive signature wins over Clemson, Penn State, and Miami.

Umm, your lil' story regarding Pitt is not the topic of the thread, B.

I had EA's Bill Walsh Football too in 1994 and the '82 Pitt squad was surprisingly wonderful along with '80 Georgia and '84 Auburn as Marino was money, but they has one really, really slow SE.

I think I would add the Kansas City Chiefs to this conversation

after their big win at Super Bowl IV and a playoff appearance in 71, they went through a decade of irrelevance, another decade of irrelevance and an era of marty ball where they couldn't beat the Bills despite having a team filled with talent.

a period where they had vermeil and a amazing offense but all the defense of wet paper. They bought into the Matt Cassel hype and paid for it now they are stuck in a position where they play like beasts in the regular season but lose to teams they should beat in the playoffs

2 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I think I would add the Kansas City Chiefs to this conversation

after their big win at Super Bowl IV and a playoff appearance in 71, they went through a decade of irrelevance, another decade of irrelevance and an era of marty ball where they couldn't beat the Bills despite having a team filled with talent.

a period where they had vermeil and a amazing offense but all the defense of wet paper. They bought into the Matt Cassel hype and paid for it now they are stuck in a position where they play like beasts in the regular season but lose to teams they should beat in the playoffs

Can't say their cursed - just have Andy Reid for a coach.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Can't say their cursed - just have Andy Reid for a coach.

I don’t know. That Luck TD (you know the one) seems like curse-worthy material to me. Not too much “playoff genius” Andy Reid could do about that. 

The Chiefs have never even won the Lamar Hunt Trophy. That's worthy of curse consideration.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

The first WS that I ever really watched was '86, so I can never consider the Mets "cursed", considering they won because the other team was cursed.

The first game I went to was with the '81 Mets at Shea Stadium they were terrible until '84 then had that run of about 4 years of really good including the '86 series which but for the other team being more cursed they should have lost.  Ever since the Wilpon's took over total ownership the team's been a cluster though they've made the World Series twice since '86.  Everything they seem to do turns to poo.  

7 hours ago, tp49 said:

Ever since the Wilpon's took over total ownership the team's been a cluster though they've made the World Series twice since '86.  Everything they seem to do turns to poo.  

The wrong owner was bought out - should've been Doubleday taking over.

The Caps are officially off the list!

Interesting how many of these titles and choker labels finally get shed as a franchise gets close to the 40 year drought mark. Well in hockey at least. For example:

LA Kings: 45 years

Blackhawks: 49 years

Capitals: 44 years

Bruins: 39 years

Red Wings: 42 years

The Rangers are an outlier at 54 but I think it's a fair point to make that once a franchise gets closer to four decades without a title, the magic seems to change. So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

Since 1986 (the year before I was born), the New York Mets haven't won a World Series championship. Worse, they have to pay Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million every year on July 1st until 2035.

5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Interesting how many of these titles and choker labels finally get shed as a franchise gets close to the 40 year drought mark. Well in hockey at least. For example:

The Rangers are an outlier at 54 but I think it's a fair point to make that once a franchise gets closer to four decades without a title, the magic seems to change. So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

Flyers are at around 42 or 43 now.

10 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Someone tell the NY Jets who are at 49

10 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

So with that in mind, Leafs, Blues and Canucks (50,50 and 47 respectively), the car is running.

The Sabres are in the same boat as the Canucks.

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Someone tell the NY Jets who are at 49

Somebody has to replace the Cubs by reaching the century mark. 

20 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Flyers are at around 42 or 43 now.

I saw that but I wanted to focus on the next big three that I saw. But yes, Agent Orange is due for another one as well. 

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Sabres are in the same boat as the Canucks.

You are correct and I apologize for the oversight.