Report: Nike to Take Over MLB Uniforms in 2020

kroywen

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

You mean like this new fabulous Yankees alternate that's coming???

Carson-Fulmer-2-Aaron-Fitt.jpg

That wouldn't be terrible.  I recall reading that there was an official proposal or even prototype for a uniform like this, either with the NY on the chest or the New York lettering.  I can swear I saw it, but cannot find it on the internet.  I guess it's possible I imagined it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not for the Yankees, but imagine a team like the White Sox or Giants in all black.  I do agree the brighter colors should be avoided, but navy’s and blacks Could be the way to go for a change of pace.

black-baseball-uni.jpg?w=604

19 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Maybe not for the Yankees, but imagine a team like the White Sox or Giants in all black.  I do agree the brighter colors should be avoided, but navy’s and blacks Could be the way to go for a change of pace.

black-baseball-uni.jpg?w=604

Those look like bastardized cricket uniforms. And the pants look like they were stolen from an NFL referee. No thanks.

Monochrome uniforms in baseball (other than white and gray, of course) would look terrible for the same reasons that monochrome uniforms in football look terrible. And FWIW, white or grey caps would generally, though not always, look terrible paired with a traditional baseball uniform, as would white socks. Yet the above uniform is pairing a black cap with a black jersey and black pants, and the socks aren't visible at all (I can only hope they were supposed to be red). Brutal.

(And on a sheer practical level, that uniform has to be hot AF to play in. Baseball is a summer sport - draping yourself in black is generally not a good idea! Perhaps viable at the college level since they play mostly in the spring, but in the pros? Forget it.)

I would personally have no problem with dark monochrome baseball uniforms.  In my view, baseball uniforms are supposed to be monochrome... I'm sick of the dark jerseys over white/gray pants that I have to see every time I turn on a game.   In 2018, you're much more likely to see a football team wearing matching color pants and jerseys than you are a baseball team... and it suck IMO.  White, light gray, dark gray, navy black... all would be fine with me. As long as it isn't a bright color, it would work for me. Arizona's dark gray roads suck because of the terrible design, not the color.

nl_1900_cincinnati.gif

al_1903_cleveland_01.gif709c7a7d4645e37a0c0873820c5b8674--baseba

Well, at the least maybe this will be enough for the Dbacks to change uniforms again. I actually like the design, I know it’s unconventional but I don’t mind it. I would think that they have heard all the public backlash and would consider scraping it. 

Then again, the Dbacks were stubborn with the bland/ugly uniforms from the 2007-2011 era so we probably wont see a change. At leasts they added teal back...

32 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Well, at the least maybe this will be enough for the Dbacks to change uniforms again. I actually like the design, I know it’s unconventional but I don’t mind it. I would think that they have heard all the public backlash and would consider scraping it. 

Then again, the Dbacks were stubborn with the bland/ugly uniforms from the 2007-2011 era so we probably wont see a change. At leasts they added teal back...

I think the Dbacks' black/sedona/teal scheme is pretty awesome, and a lot better than the normal black/sedona/khaki.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I still doubt that means much. They can sit in and give input but I'm pretty sure the teams still will make their final decisions as always. People are making it sound like Nike is gonna swoop in and just change every team's uniforms to their own radical designs. Again, the whole thing says they'll be the manufacturer, not the designer.

That's exactly what they did in the NBA. They changed the shape of the jersey back to look like a sports bra. Then they removed the cuff striping from the back of all jerseys. They made the NOB smaller. They also changed the triangle cutout on the shorts for no reason, altering the look of the shorts for teams with accents in that area. The Boston Celtics weren't allowed to keep their classic look.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys sound like Nike signs the contract and just has free reign to do whatever they want.  They're not going to "respect tradition", they're going to do whatever they're told  If the Yankees tell them to piss off, then they'll piss off.  If the Padres hand them the keys and tell them to drive the car to wherever, then that's on them.

Like I said above, the problem isn't that Nike will force teams to wear garish crap. The problem is that Nike might be allowed to significantly change the template and force teams to change even if they don't want to. Look at the awful side panels Majestic has used the last few years. They look terrible when you notice them, but at least they are fairly thin. So maybe Nike puts thicker side panels in a different material with mesh like an old basketball jersey. Maybe Nike puts in a different panel on the back of the knee (like on football pants) which makes all teams wearing pinstripes look like crap. That is them forcing changes on the Yankees without the Yankees being able to tell them to piss off. And this is what Nike has been all about the last decade. Making awful new proprietary templates for the sole purpose of branding. I'm far more worried about Nike messing up all teams in a small way than butchering some teams in a big way.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On 5/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, guest23 said:

nike has shown that they are pretty much the only company with the finances and marketing savvy to make these deals work...adidas/rbk  did not put out a competitive bid for the nfl, adi basically ceded the nba saying they couldn't make the deal work and ua is in major financial straits having overpaid for too many top tier college deals and other disastrous missteps...this is big business 101...market leader (nike) makes its biggest play for the biggest prize (nfl)...cherry pick only the highest ROI deals in your secondary business (ncaa) then let your #2 and 3 competition kill each other and spend like crazy to try to make a run at being the big dog...2 and 3 have now overextended themselves and can no longer compete...come back and scoop up the other pieces that you wanted but were never worth overpaying for (nba/mlb).

This is very accurate.   UA is hurting right now, which is sad considering their once-promising retail growth.  They still do well with kids & women, but the feel I get being in the business is that trend is also starting to fade slightly.  Their product in some regards is still fantastic, but their team uniform business is a little suspect.  adidas said they would take the money saved  from the NBA deal and go buy college sponsorships and athletes, and they did, but they're not getting a ROI from Aaron Rodgers and the schools they flipped from Nike.

From a business & marketing angle, every time someone puts on an official Steelers or Celtics product now, it's Nike.  Which means they'll probably wanna wear Nike shoes with it.  And once they commit to a brand, people typically stick with one as their primary.  So, these people buy MORE Nike product when they need socks or shorts or a sweatshirt.  At least those who are cognizant about what they wear (not looking at you, people that wear an adidas shirt with UA socks and Nike shoes...at the same time).   It's smart business because they are aligning their brand with the #1 leagues in the world, and you get shared quality perception.

UA & adidas have been trying but have not been able to gain much if any ground on Nike, from a marketing, business, quality, and brand power perspective.  I love the Nike haters, but they're the undisputed #1 in all of these areas.  Do they tinker?  Yes.  Some call that innovation.  Some call it business.  In reality, it's both.  

Just because it's not made of wool and doesn't have striped socks, doesn't mean it's not good.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I think the Dbacks' black/sedona/teal scheme is pretty awesome, and a lot better than the normal black/sedona/khaki.

So do I. And that was my point, adding teal was a good thing for the brand. Mixing the two eras was a smart idea. I really like the look of the combination.

Adidas/Reebok have gone from 4/5 major North American leagues to just two. I don't know when Adidas' contract with MLS is up but I assume it ends before the contract with the NHL and I'd assume Nike will make a run for it. Nike will now have 3/5 compared to Adidas' 2/5 and I won't be surprised if we eventually see Nike have all five. I think they have the resources for it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

Adidas/Reebok have gone from 4/5 major North American leagues to just two. I don't know when Adidas' contract with MLS is up but I assume it ends before the contract with the NHL and I'd assume Nike will make a run for it. Nike will now have 3/5 compared to Adidas' 2/5 and I won't be surprised if we eventually see Nike have all five. I think they have the resources for it.

adidas' contract with MLS expires in 2024, but adidas has always extended it (since 2004) before it's up for open bidding.

17 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Nikes fine. They were actually an improvement over Reebok. The one real criticism I see is that they made many shiny pants matte, which I honestly see as an improvement in many cases

I miss the sheen, but to each his own.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I would personally have no problem with dark monochrome baseball uniforms.  In my view, baseball uniforms are supposed to be monochrome... I'm sick of the dark jerseys over white/gray pants that I have to see every time I turn on a game.   In 2018, you're much more likely to see a football team wearing matching color pants and jerseys than you are a baseball team... and it suck IMO.  White, light gray, dark gray, navy black... all would be fine with me. As long as it isn't a bright color, it would work for me. Arizona's dark gray roads suck because of the terrible design, not the color.

nl_1900_cincinnati.gif

al_1903_cleveland_01.gif709c7a7d4645e37a0c0873820c5b8674--baseba

This is is a good example because it shows that they key is proper length and exposed socks. Those full length dark pants are just business slacks.

4 hours ago, Volt said:

This is very accurate.   UA is hurting right now, which is sad considering their once-promising retail growth.  They still do well with kids & women, but the feel I get being in the business is that trend is also starting to fade slightly.  Their product in some regards is still fantastic, but their team uniform business is a little suspect.  adidas said they would take the money saved  from the NBA deal and go buy college sponsorships and athletes, and they did, but they're not getting a ROI from Aaron Rodgers and the schools they flipped from Nike.

From a business & marketing angle, every time someone puts on an official Steelers or Celtics product now, it's Nike.  Which means they'll probably wanna wear Nike shoes with it.  And once they commit to a brand, people typically stick with one as their primary.  So, these people buy MORE Nike product when they need socks or shorts or a sweatshirt.  At least those who are cognizant about what they wear (not looking at you, people that wear an adidas shirt with UA socks and Nike shoes...at the same time).   It's smart business because they are aligning their brand with the #1 leagues in the world, and you get shared quality perception.

UA & adidas have been trying but have not been able to gain much if any ground on Nike, from a marketing, business, quality, and brand power perspective.  I love the Nike haters, but they're the undisputed #1 in all of these areas.  Do they tinker?  Yes.  Some call that innovation.  Some call it business.  In reality, it's both.  

Just because it's not made of wool and doesn't have striped socks, doesn't mean it's not good.

Objectively, though, the data doesn’t back up the opinion. From spring 2017 and 2018, respectively.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/adidas-nearly-doubled-us-sneaker-market-share-nikes-expense-153106743.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footwearnews.com/2018/business/earnings/adidas-market-share-nike-under-armour-2018-1202557651/amp/

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, mjd77 said:

You mean like this new fabulous Yankees alternate that's coming???

Carson-Fulmer-2-Aaron-Fitt.jpg

I saw a high school have something similer last week at the state tournament, it was ok. I just hate that the socks are black. Give me some contrast. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

42 minutes ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

:rolleyes: I'm so sick of the monopoly Nike has. They're not even good at making jersey's. 

The Vapor Untouchable template is one of the best.

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

This is is a good example because it shows that they key is proper length and exposed socks. Those full length dark pants are just business slacks.

Objectively, though, the data doesn’t back up the opinion. From spring 2017 and 2018, respectively.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/adidas-nearly-doubled-us-sneaker-market-share-nikes-expense-153106743.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footwearnews.com/2018/business/earnings/adidas-market-share-nike-under-armour-2018-1202557651/amp/

Adidas? Its share nearly doubled year over year, from 6.3% in May 2016 to 11.3% in May 2017.

Nike lost 1.2 share points and has nearly 40% of the market...adi has executed a nice turnaround in footwear by poaching some nike designers and becoming much more forward thinking but the order of magnitude is nearly 4x.

There is only one 800lb gorilla and the rest of the monkeys are flinging poo at each other...I would love to see more competition but here we are.

Archived