Los Angeles area has some of the most original high school nicknames...

B-Rich

A school near me, Hutto high school, is the hippos. 

Hippos are inherently adorable, but more adorable is the story of how Hutto got its mascot. In 1915, a hippo escaped from a circus train into the town of Hutto and apparently made quite the impression. (Circus trainers eventually caught him.) Hutto is now filled with hippo statues by the hundreds.”

Excellent!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of odd ones from down my way:

1. Still going strong in the inner city of New Orleans are the McDonogh 35 Roneagles.  Their story is that back in the 1920s or 30s, they were originally the "Iron Eagles", with a 3-D sign with individual letters either on the field or in the gym, but the letter "I" was stolen or lost. They just went with it, and ever since have been the Roneagles.

2. Done in by Hurricane Katrina was a Lower 9th ward entity, Alfred P. Lawless High School, who were the Pythians.   Back in the day, they usually featured Greek warrior imagery, though the band actually had a python on their uniforms at one point.  When a new K-12 charter school was built on the old site , it was named Dr. Martin Luther King School (much to the chagrin of a lot of Lawless alumni), with their mascot being the Explorers.

It is what it is.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, guest23 said:

Laguna Beach High Breakers Artists

Actually Laguna Beach is the Breakers. They reverted back to the Breakers in 2003. Still, both names are very creative.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:30 PM, oddball said:

Actually Laguna Beach is the Breakers. They reverted back to the Breakers in 2003. Still, both names are very creative.

Apparently you did not pick up the subtle tongue in cheek reference I made in the strikethru.

Up in Maine there are a bunch of different unique ones. Here are some off the top of my head:

Cape Elizabeth Capers

Westbrook Blue Blazes

Morse Shipbuilders

Edward Little Red Eddies 

South Portland Red Riots

Orono Red Riots

Houlton Shiretowners

Camden Hills Windjammers

Falmouth Yachstmen

Brewer Witches

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 5:44 PM, Sykotyk said:

Devils Lake (ND) Satans

The last, sadly, was finally done in by the bible thumper crowd that it was unholy to be rooting for a team named the Satans and are now the Firebirds.

latest?cb=20170830231710

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived