Your least favorite team color combination.

verno

Has this been done? I dunno, let's go!! I really dislike red and green as any team's primary, too Christmasy!! And l will also state that l may prefer the New Jersey Devils in red and green, it is unique in the NHL (aside from the Wild) to red and black.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m sure there’s a bunch of random colors you could generate into a bad combo, but of ones that are or have been used in sports? I can’t stand powder blue and gold together. They’re both too bright to coexist and battle to compete for attention when they are the only two colors. It bugs my eyes out. Either one of those colors do work with a darker color like royal/navy blue or red, but they just don’t work together for me. Never have. Yes, that includes the Chargers.

Now, when navy is THE primary color, powder blue and gold CAN work as secondary accents, a la the Nuggets alternate in the late 00’s. However, even then, you have to be very careful with the application - if the powder blue touches the gold, it muddles into a sage color from a distance. That’s harmed both the Chargers and, most recently, the Nuggets this past year. So you’ve got to use it correctly and with caution.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 5/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, verno said:

Has this been done? I dunno, let's go!! I really dislike red and green as any team's primary, too Christmasy!! And l will also state that l may prefer the New Jersey Devils in red and green, it is unique in the NHL (aside from the Wild) to red and black.

So I can't tell...do you like red and green or not? 

Anyway I LOVE red and green. In fact the original Devils red jersey is my favorite NHL jersey ever.

I think my least favorite often-used combo is purple and black.There's just not enough contrast between those colors.  The Ravens helmet stripes barely show up. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Honestly never understood the Christmas criticism of red and green. Nobody rags on Orange and Black for being Halloween colours, or purple and gold for being Easter colours.

As far as my least favourite, it would probably have to be red and grey/silver, as in Ohio State or the old Atlanta Falcons uniforms. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just creates a look that for some reason strkes me as simultaneously dreary and clashing 

My least favorite is easily purple/black/silver. It just looks so dull, especially when the purple is too dark or too blue to contrast with the black. The silver doesn’t do much to lighten up the color scheme, often fueling the muddy mess.

Similarly, royal/yellow/red is a terrible color scheme for a sports team, because it is so difficult to pull off in an aesthetically-pleasing fashion.

19 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Honestly never understood the Christmas criticism of red and green. Nobody rags on Orange and Black for being Halloween colours, or purple and gold for being Easter colours.

All my life, I've never heard of purple and gold being easter colors. Given the amount of purple and gold in my closet right now, I know what I'm wearing next Easter. Which is actually my niece's birthday, so I might wear something different, depends on the type of party she has.

I have never fully understood why the Devils wore green in the first place... in what way does green tie into their identity? Is it a nod to something regional? Was it simply to be different?

I generally dislike powder blue and red together. I was a huge fan of the Titans first uni set when they first came out in large part because red was reduced a subtle accent color.

35 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I have never fully understood why the Devils wore green in the first place... in what way does green tie into their identity? Is it a nod to something regional? Was it simply to be different?

Jersey devil that lives in the forest instead of Devil devil.

I've never liked when hockey teams go too much toward navy/black without a healthy dose of contrasting colorful compliments.  The early 00's Oilers scheme is easily the most lifeless look I've seen perhaps ever. 

pronger2.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived