Your least favorite team color combination.

verno

3 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

I’ll just say I have a love/hate relationship with royal blue and red together. 

There’s too much contrast a lot of the time and it can hurt to look at. 

Agreed. Navy and Red works, but royal and red just looks like they're both fighting each other to take centre stage, rather than complimenting each other.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realized last year there are no teams I like who's primary color is red.  It just doesn't look good to me.  This year's exception is the Macon Bacon because....well...it's BACON! And it's more of a darker red, so I'll give it a pass.

I despise red & blue/navy because it's used so much.  I don't like red & green either. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Honestly, I can’t think of a color scheme off the top of my head that I absolutely hate no matter what. I think you have to take into account how the team uses it. Brown and yellow was pretty terrible when the Broncos used it in the 60s, but when the Padres used it it was a nice look, so good people constantly beg for it back. Sometimes the colors themselves are decent together, but when on a uniform that doesn’t use them the right way, the scheme won’t look good. Application matters

About red and green, I don't mind it when it's just red, white, and green. It's got like a weird retro plastic feel it, in a way I really like. Don't ask why....

but when you add gold like the Wild, it's too much. Then you start looking Rastafarian to me. Especially if black is in play like the Mooterus.

But I'd say my least favorite are probably dark green with blue and/or black (like those Rays jerseys), or the ever present soccer combining of Claret and Blue. The blue makes the Claret just so much more sickly and pinkish purple in contrast. I am not a fan.

One color scheme I have never been a fan of is the Colorado Avalanche's burgundy and blue. By themselves, I think they are very nice colors but together, I do not like the look of them. 

Purple and black, by far. I hate when teams pair two very dark colors together as their primary two colors, and that's by far the most common offender. The Ravens, the LA Kings, and the Sacramento Kings all guilty of that. 

I also can't stand the Padres' brown/orange/yellow combination - I loved the brown/yellow, and like the Browns' brown/orange combination, but the brown/yellow/orange combination is hideous to me.

Red and Green used as the primary colours (not the current Minnesota Wild, but the old red jersey). And that horrible Sonics color scheme with the green, red, and yellow/tan/orange/brown colour.seattle-supersonics-wallpapers-31366-940

new-wild-beat-islanders013.jpg?w=620

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

So much hate for purple and black...do we have a bunch of Paul Lukas burner accounts?

I don't hate purple in general. I love the Vikings' and Lakers' color scheme. It's just that the combination of purple and black together is way too muddled, way too dark, without enough contrast. It's like red and pink as primary colors together, or black and dark blue - fine in isolation, but when combined, too similar and muddled.

31 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I don't hate purple in general. I love the Vikings' and Lakers' color scheme. It's just that the combination of purple and black together is way too muddled, way too dark, without enough contrast. It's like red and pink as primary colors together, or black and dark blue - fine in isolation, but when combined, too similar and muddled.

I was saying that in jest but I agree with you. Purple and silver work so well together. Maybe the Ravens should get rid of the gold and go with silver to make for more of a contrast.

1 minute ago, jmac11281 said:

I was saying that in jest but I agree with you. Purple and silver work so well together. Maybe the Ravens should get rid of the gold and go with silver to make for more of a contrast.

If I were the Ravens, I'd get rid of both the black and the gold, and go with a purple/silver scheme. It'd be a bit of a radical departure from what they have today, but it's a great (and underutilized) color scheme, and wouldn't trip up on the Vikings as much as a purple/gold color scheme would.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

If I were the Ravens, I'd get rid of both the black and the gold, and go with a purple/silver scheme. It'd be a bit of a radical departure from what they have today, but it's a great (and underutilized) color scheme, and wouldn't trip up on the Vikings as much as a purple/gold color scheme would.

As much as the Ravens' color scheme may be flawed, it fits their identity perfectly.. I actually prefer that the helmet stripes don't show up very well.. Ideally, the purple would have a bit more contrast with the black, but I don't typically feel like their purple is too dark or too blue (sometimes the purple used on the helmet decals gets a bit too blue, but never the jerseys).. If anything, I'd add a few more flashes of gold, but nothing crazy.. And drop the B from the helmet logo..

I don’t love the Sharks color scheme without orange, but it is certainly not a bad look. The updated logo is much better than the expansion one. But the orange is so unnecessary. The sharks OWN teal in the NHL, kind of like the Jags in the NFL. Why add orange. They wanted some cali flare and a bright color? That just seems dumb. Plus, in-division rival Anahiem is a team that uses orange as their primary color. No need to add orange.

The Brick Red, Black and Sand color scheme that the Dbacks used at the end of the 00s was pretty dull. Adding a bit of teal was a good idea. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:20 AM, Griffinmarlins said:

Royal blue, red, and black is pretty much the only color combo I don't like. Many teams have bad logos or don't use their color schemes correctly, but I still like 95% of the color palettes I see.

Image result for depaul logo

On 5/30/2018 at 7:59 AM, CS85 said:

I've never liked when hockey teams go too much toward navy/black without a healthy dose of contrasting colorful compliments.  The early 00's Oilers scheme is easily the most lifeless look I've seen perhaps ever. 

pronger2.jpg

22 hours ago, DanPoplawski said:

cIkExNG.jpg

CsUFaoH.jpg

These colors schemes are about the only ones that I don't like, particularly the Blue/Black/Red. There's just not a lot of pop coming from such a scheme. (Navy/Black is even worse, being all drab where there only should be one of those colors in a color scheme). I'd also put the Edmonton Oilers' Navy/Copper look as well, but the one redeeming factor to those uniforms is the use of copper. I've long felt that a primarily Black/Copper or Navy/Copper look would do well (a third color to balance out the look wouldn't hurt if done right), should they get the right shade of copper. The BFBS alternates that the Utah Jazz used from 1999-2003 showed how to properly use copper in my opinion, right shade and all:

utah_jazz.jpg

(Of course, I didn't like the BFBS aspect to the Jazz's jerseys with what was their color palette then. They had light blue and turquoise at their disposal and they went with black? All that said, I liked the way they employed copper as well as the copper shade, and a full set with copper-sided white and purple jerseys could've looked cool).

Kelly Green/Orange doesn't look all that great, either, at least in the shades FAMU uses. Now, a darker green works with that shade of orange, like what the University of Miami uses, or even better, a dark, forest green and deep red-orange would look incredible, particularly for a team named "Dragons."

Light Blue/Yellow (or Gold) is all right by me, but those Eagles throwbacks didn't bother me as they were one- (or two-) off throwbacks. The famed Chargers throwbacks managed to keep the light blue and gold separated enough so as to not come into direct conflict and keep a good balance:

san-diego-chargers-powder-blue.jpg

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I think the Ravens would have to lose the purple before they lost the black, since ravens are actually black (with a purple sheen).

23 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

As much as the Ravens' color scheme may be flawed, it fits their identity perfectly.. I actually prefer that the helmet stripes don't show up very well.. Ideally, the purple would have a bit more contrast with the black, but I don't typically feel like their purple is too dark or too blue (sometimes the purple used on the helmet decals gets a bit too blue, but never the jerseys).. If anything, I'd add a few more flashes of gold, but nothing crazy.. And drop the B from the helmet logo..

I agree with this because (as noted above) actual ravens are black and (sort of) purple.  I know teams don't have to match the color of the animal they're named after (no green eagles or blue rams), but it's a not bad thing if they do.  The colors also fit the Gothic vibe of the Poe poem.

70579921-480px.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 hours ago, DanPoplawski said:

cIkExNG.jpg

Shades of oranges and greens can work well.  You just picked the one team in Florida that F***s it up.

usa_today_10406469.0.jpg

Dan-Marino.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've never been fond of black/yellow. I think it looks dirty. This is one of the top 3 reasons I never became a Columbus Crew fan despite growing up in the city. It doesn't help that primarily a-hole teams wear it including a couple of the rival high schools I played against. 

I'm also not a fan of red when paired with a bright green or a teal. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, ColeJ said:

About red and green, I don't mind it when it's just red, white, and green. It's got like a weird retro plastic feel it, in a way I really like. Don't ask why....

but when you add gold like the Wild, it's too much. Then you start looking Rastafarian to me. Especially if black is in play like the Mooterus.

But I'd say my least favorite are probably dark green with blue and/or black (like those Rays jerseys), or the ever present soccer combining of Claret and Blue. The blue makes the Claret just so much more sickly and pinkish purple in contrast. I am not a fan.

First, claret and blue is awesome.  

As for the Christmas colors (good point, whoever mentioned that we don't criticize black/orange for Halloween).  I like the basic Devils scheme best, as well.  The Wild scheme has always been good to me, but I think their reduced use of gold in favor of wheat has been a very big positive for the Wild.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived