New Amarillo baseball team announces name finalists

26 minutes ago, jacobrgroman said:

I'm from amarillo and I personally submitted "windsox".

we've had independent teams called "dillas" for several years, which was an incredibly popular name and was a big merch seller in town. I don't know, however, if there are legal/copyright reasons why that name can't be or wasn't chosen. and most recently we were just plain "sox" (because another team had the trademark on GOLD sox) for a few years before they changed it to "thunderheads" which is supposed to be another name for a thunderstorm cloud. that last name was originally pretty much universally hated here because they never asked our opinion about changing the name and we were so used to the history and tradition of the (gold) sox name but overtime it grew on us. I know personally I'd welcome back the name "thunderheads" with open arms.

now these choices? these choices are crap. plain and simple. I signed a petition yesterday requesting/demanding more options when it had a little over 1,000 signatures and right now it has over 5,000. I know that minor league names are often unique and that they want to cater to kids AND adults and there are a lot of names out there that are pretty good (sans baby cakes...) and get the job done. these five do not.

I wonder if Gold Stockings or Goldcaps could work here?  Just plain "Sox" sounded lazy to those of us who didn't know about the legal reasons behind why that name was chosen.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind Sox would work, given the wind I've seen through the high plains. GIves you the Sox name with something that is at least locally relevant.

Cow Sox. At least that's better than Boot Scooters and Sod Poodles.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I wonder if Gold Stockings or Goldcaps could work here?  Just plain "Sox" sounded lazy to those of us who didn't know about the legal reasons behind why that name was chosen.

you know, I don't know. it happened pretty quickly before the season started. they might not have had time to change things. either of the names you just mentioned would have been cool though.

Just now, Sykotyk said:

Wind Sox would work, given the wind I've seen through the high plains. GIves you the Sox name with something that is at least locally relevant.

Cow Sox. At least that's better than Boot Scooters and Sod Poodles.

that's pretty much exactly what I wrote when I submitted it, in so many words.

Archived