Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

Steelers Set to Unveil New Throwback Alternate Uniform

May 17, 2018 - 17:32 PM

Today the Pittsburgh Steelers announced they’ll be unveiling a new throwback uniform for the upcoming 2018 NFL season later this month. The team had already announced that their in/famous “Bumblebee” throwback uniforms would be retired. No hints as to what […]

Read More...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

Block numbers on the current uni, and you have a fantastic regular jersey. 

Give it time. Took the folks of Pittsburgh long enough to just fix the Penguins.

6uXNWAo.png

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Batman?

Batman.

17512212%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

One subtle detail about the Batman Uni (God I love typing that) is that the numbers are not traditional full block. 

They have interior angles, more like standard MLB numerals and do not have the same hard angles as the Steel Curtain uniforms. This makes the much finer than what they would wear later. In a sense if you were looking for a happy medium between the current rounded numerals and the classic block, this would be it. 

24 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

One subtle detail about the Batman Uni (God I love typing that) is that the numbers are not traditional full block. 

They have interior angles, more like standard MLB numerals and do not have the same hard angles as the Steel Curtain uniforms. This makes the much finer than what they would wear later. In a sense if you were looking for a happy medium between the current rounded numerals and the classic block, this would be it. 

Indeed.  I've long wished that the Packers would go back to the 1961 Rawlings numbers:

17512236%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Simple and bold, I think they're much better than the more-serifed standard block.

Yeah, well, I think that ship has sailed.

I've also long been advocating that the Packers move their sleeve stripes to undershirts, so we can have the full range back again, but that doesn't look likely either.

4c7f0c0992a8f.image.jpg

Frankly, I'm just jealous that the Steelers have actual sewn-in stripes, as opposed to the cheap-looking screenprint the Packers use.

DaW7R9DX0AAvM7l.jpgDaW7Q88WsAM-rnf.jpg

Looks so much better.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Frankly, I'm just jealous that the Steelers have actual sewn-in stripes, as opposed to the cheap-looking screenprint the Packers use.

DaW7R9DX0AAvM7l.jpgDaW7Q88WsAM-rnf.jpg

Looks so much better.

They look the same to me.  The only differences I see are the Steelers stripes are not as glossy, and the jersey cuts are different.

4 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Also sleeves. Bring us a modern sleeve!

You know, I've thought about this a lot. I wonder if we'll will ever see a movement toward some longer 3/4 length sleeves made from modern form fitting materials in the future for football? It would add some valuable real estate for numbers and or some stripes/design elements. Plus I just love the look of old school, long sleeve football jerseys like this:

52 minutes ago, fufkin said:

They look the same to me.  The only differences I see are the Steelers stripes are not as glossy, and the jersey cuts are different.

The reason that the Steelers' stripes are not glossy is that the pattern is woven into the material.  The Packers' stripes are glossy because they're painted on the fabric.

You can really see it in this photo:

mKvSWXB.jpg

Truer colors, and seamlessly blends with the fabric around it.  Looks so much better than silkscreen.  

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  I've long wished that the Packers would go back to the 1961 Rawlings numbers:

Simple and bold, I think they're much better than the more-serifed standard block.

I hate those numbers on football uniforms.  I hated it on the Champion jerseys, I hated it on the variation that the OG Jags had and the '96 49ers had, and I hate it on those older ones.  It's just "soft", for lack of a better phrase.  Standard hard-angled block is far superior on football uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, fufkin said:

Perhaps it's because they're on an old Reebok template that someone like Powers is probably making for Nike for the Packers & Panthers.  

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I hate those numbers on football uniforms.  I hated it on the Champion jerseys, I hated it on the variation that the OG Jags had and the '96 49ers had, and I hate it on those older ones.  It's just "soft", for lack of a better phrase.  Standard hard-angled block is far superior on football uniforms.

Dropping a serif from the bottom of a 1 makes the numbers “soft”? How do you feel about the Steelers’ current skinny-jeans italic numbers? :P 

Archived