Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

I've always preferred sleeves on a football jersey. I can understand why players at certain positions need to have that super tight tank top look, they don't want anybody grabbing them and impeding their progress. So give them less loose fabric to grab. It's just still so ugly and gives you less surface area to design something on. I look at guys like Larry Fitzgerald and he just looks so ugly in the uniform (and the Cards have such an ugly look too) to me they should've always remained a clean classic look franchise

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Hey, it's 2017!  Sleeves are for basketball jerseys... football jerseys are sleeveless, everyone knows that!

09000d5d81ab1d90_gallery_600.jpg

Warriors%20Jersey%20Adidas.jpg

Unpopular opinion - I like sleeves on basketball jerseys. But I'm not a big basketball fan so I'm not so emotionally invested in their uni modifications. But that Warriors jersey...I like. And it was not a surprise to see sleeves crop up in the NBA as it just gives them more surface area to put ads.

fwiw my father in law went on a rant the other day saying he'd like super long sleeves on every NFL jersey because he's sick of seeing full arm tattoos on just about everyone

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Dropping a serif from the bottom of a 1 makes the numbers “soft”? How do you feel about the Steelers’ current skinny-jeans italic numbers? :P 

I didn't say anything about the 1s.  I'm talking about the notched insides of the 0, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I hated it on the variation that the OG Jags had

Thats my favorite font the jags have had. It looked great on their OG uniforms.

mark-brunell-01881818-getty-ftrjpg_ncorm

Also to get on track, the "batman" uniforms are great but can nike replicate the shoulder yoke?

They weren't able to make an accurate look for the Packers.

GettyImages-615045416%20Cropped_15106921

8 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Also to get on track, the "batman" uniforms are great but can nike replicate the shoulder yoke?

They weren't able to make an accurate look for the Packers.

GettyImages-615045416%20Cropped_15106921

Thats totally on the Packers for not knowing/caring enough about their own history. 

If Nike can make inset panels and gewgaws for the Broncos and Cardinals and the like, they could recreate an accurate yoke for the Steelers.  And for the Packers. 

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Thats totally on the Packers for not knowing/caring enough about their own history. 

If Nike can make inset panels and gewgaws for the Broncos and Cardinals and the like, they could recreate an accurate yoke for the Steelers.  And for the Packers. 

Nike also doesn't make the packers jerseys, from my memory. They just get to slap their logo on the sleeves. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 5/18/2018 at 12:38 PM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, well, I think that ship has sailed.

I've also long been advocating that the Packers move their sleeve stripes to undershirts, so we can have the full range back again, but that doesn't look likely either.

4c7f0c0992a8f.image.jpg

I'd be really interested in seeing a modern take on this sleeve length. Imagine a jersey like this one in the photo where the sleeves of the undershirt are just an extension of the jersey. I feel like if they were as formfitting as they are in this photo than they wouldn't affect performance much, but admittedly I never played football so I wouldn't know for sure. I'd imagine it could be useful for some of the colder weather games at least. 

It's probably not realistic but it would be interesting to see if it could be pulled off.

spacer.png

On 5/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, Gothamite said:

I've also long been advocating that the Packers move their sleeve stripes to undershirts, so we can have the full range back again, but that doesn't look likely either.

4c7f0c0992a8f.image.jpg

Frankly, I'm just jealous that the Steelers have actual sewn-in stripes, as opposed to the cheap-looking screenprint the Packers use.

DaW7R9DX0AAvM7l.jpgDaW7Q88WsAM-rnf.jpg

Looks so much better.

The Steelers jersey stripes are knit into the fabric, similar to how a sock is made. Actually, they also could be woven; I’m not sure if the sleeve there is a knit or woven fabric.

An example of sewn stripes would be like on a modern hockey jersey, where each stripe is a separate piece of fabric inlaid or overlaid with the fabric that makes up the body of the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 minutes ago, henburg said:

I'd be really interested in seeing a modern take on this sleeve length. Imagine a jersey like this one in the photo where the sleeves of the undershirt are just an extension of the jersey. I feel like if they were as formfitting as they are in this photo than they wouldn't affect performance much, but admittedly I never played football so I wouldn't know for sure. I'd imagine it could be useful for some of the colder weather games at least. 

It's probably not realistic but it would be interesting to see if it could be pulled off.

Exactly. I think this is the next step. Fabric technology is amazing today, and I have no doubt there’s a way to make a 3/4 sleeve jersey with a tight, fitted sleeve that doesn’t restrict movement and isn’t too hot.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 5/18/2018 at 12:38 PM, Gothamite said:

4c7f0c0992a8f.image.jpg

But it’s not practical, since not everyone wears undershirts. 

Oregon+v+Oregon+State+0PaUXemKDtYl.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

5 hours ago, Chawls said:

But it’s not practical, since not everyone wears undershirts. 

Oregon+v+Oregon+State+0PaUXemKDtYl.jpg

That's no more of an issue than how some baseball players wear high socks and some players wear long pants. If you don't wear the undershirt, you don't have the stripes... Just like how players in the previous eras would often cut stripes off in their tailoring.

That pic isn't a bad thing, despite one player having the undershirt and the other not.

25 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

That's no more of an issue than how some baseball players wear high socks and some players wear long pants. If you don't wear the undershirt, you don't have the stripes... Just like how players in the previous eras would often cut stripes off in their tailoring.

That pic isn't a bad thing, despite one player having the undershirt and the other not.

Agreed.  I don’t see the issue here. 

Especially for a team like the Steelers, who already have a certain inconsistency in their sleeve stripes. 

Steelers-offensive-linemen.jpg

If it’s really an issue, leave them on the replicas and sell authentic undershirts to go with the authentic jerseys. 

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The Steelers jersey stripes are knit into the fabric, similar to how a sock is made. Actually, they also could be woven; I’m not sure if the sleeve there is a knit or woven fabric.

An example of sewn stripes would be like on a modern hockey jersey, where each stripe is a separate piece of fabric inlaid or overlaid with the fabric that makes up the body of the jersey.

Thank you - I meant knit but misspoke.  Next time I will use your sock example. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

and sell authentic undershirts to go with the authentic jerse

Mr. Gothamite? Phil Knight is on line 2. He’d like to offer you a job. :P

Archived