Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Woulda drove me crazy back then, too.

You would have loved the 1959 uniforms, then.  The only year they wore white socks with the road jersey stripe pattern.

1959_PackersSocks.jpg

By the following season, they had eliminated the road socks and players wore the standard home green striped socks.

1960_PackersEagles.jpg

I don't see any ":mismatch" in the throwback socks, though.  The striping pattern repeats the Braisher stripes on the pants.

2003_thanksgiving_Walker.jpg

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You would have loved the 1959 uniforms, then.  The only year they wore white socks with the road jersey stripe pattern.

Love the socks, but the pants stripe mismatch has me thrown all over again :lol:

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't see any ":mismatch" in the throwback socks, though.  The striping pattern repeats the Braisher stripes on the pants.

The socks may match the pants striping, but not the jersey striping, which simply goes green-yellow... especially since Cleveland shot themselves in the foot, I would love to see Green Bay add via subtraction and drip the thin white stripes from their sleeves.

Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

May 30, 2018 - 18:49 PM

The Pittsburgh Steelers this afternoon unveiled their new throwback uniforms for the 2018 season via a press conference streamed over their various social media channels. Throwing it back to the 1979 Super Bowl championship season, the Steelers showed off the […]

Read More...

4 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It looks really, really good. Granted, I still think the Batman would’ve made a better alternate, but this still is precisely how the Steelers should look full-time.

Makes sense to wear these for at least the next two seasons so they can celebrate the Super Bowl XIII and XIV teams, do the Batman jerseys for a few seasons then bring these back with the Bicentennial patch from Super Bowl X for 2025 & 2026.

Eh...why bother? Most people probably won't even notice a difference between the throwback and regular black jersey. Besides, if you wanna see the Steelers with block numbers, just watch Iowa on saturdays. I'm kidding, mostly, but the batman jerseys would have made a much cooler alternate.

1 hour ago, Tigers6884 said:

Italicized numbers > block numbers 

I probably would have disagreed with this back in the late 90s. But the Steelers have really made the italicized numbers a distinguishing feature, and the block just looks like Iowa now. (c'mon Iowa, bring back the banana peels...)  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived