Pittsburgh Steelers Unveil 1979 Throwback Uniform

To the people asking about a gray facemask, the picture literally says '78-'79 on it, and by that point they switched to a black facemask. While, I would of preferred them to throwing back to the first two Super Bowl teams and using a gray facemask, it make sense to go back to '78 since it is the 40 year anniversary. I also hope someone on the defense breaks out some all yellow cleats for a LC Greenwood tribute the week they wear these, which isn't too much to ask with the cleats guys wear nowadays.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

True, but gray facemasks would at least distinguish these more from the current set.

That said, since they're specifically calling these '78-'79 throwbacks, the black facemasks are accurate.

cfd9cba814a756d67e55f44623593178.jpg

That's my point. Why not just call these Steel Curtain Specials or something as an homage to the four championship teams?

So the Steelers are going back to the Steel Curtain-era of the 1970's.

Now if only the Giants could bring back the 2000-2004 road uniforms as alternates

YOZXkBG.png?1

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

That's my point. Why not just call these Steel Curtain Specials or something as an homage to the four championship teams?

That makes sense to me.  However, I guess this way then can say they it's a throwback to a specific uniform.  Otherwise, it's arguably* a fauxback if you reference an era instead of an actual uniform (even though the only difference is the facemask).

* -- Not a very strong argument since a gray mask would just make it a throwback to a different uniform.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

34 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I like the block numbers, but yeah this is pretty pointless.  To me it feels like Iowa owns this particular look now though. 

Yeah - I still see Iowa as ripping off Pittsburgh, regardless of the italic font these days.

It's where I sit.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, hawk36 said:

When are the Jets going to announce when they will wear their throwbacks this season? These things are beauties. 

jets-12-allwhite-kellenmicah-620x900.jpg

I know you're joking, but a more accurate comparison would be if the Jets wore the Namath-era set, which is this with Kelly green and no logo. And just like the Steelers, that would be a fantastic throwback.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

30 minutes ago, insert name said:

Same. Not sure how many people I’m gonna make feel old but for the majority of my life, I’ve only known the Steelers with italic numbers. 

Get off my lawn!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Same. Not sure how many people I’m gonna make feel old but for the majority of my life, I’ve only known the Steelers with italic numbers. 

Believe me, it isn't statements like this that make me feel old. I can do that ENTIRELY on my own ?

53, BTW

It's where I sit.

55 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I had a Franco Harris version of this as a kid.

My grandmother bought me the Franco Harris version in white for Christmas when I was around 12.  I have no idea why she thought I was a Steelers fan instead of a Colts fan.

It looks much, much better on this model.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:17 AM, Gupti said:

Because you can’t sell high white sanitary socks or white cleats to fans, so it isn’t relevant to that “throwback swag.”

Somewhat related: is anyone thinking that producing these throwback jerseys for retail is as simple as manufacturing the jersey the same way with the (woven sleeve stripes) while leavin off the logo and stitching on different numbers? Could something like that actually be a latent factor regarding how a team selects an alternate?

White cleats & basketball shoes for teams have actually gotten really popular again.  

And yes, in this case, the Steelers should be able to pump out the same exact replica, minus the logo and with block numbers.  

as I just learned as well Steelers actually gave Iowa permission back in the day to look like them, I forget the article I read but an Iowa coach in the 70s I believe asked permission before making the look of Iowa as we know it today. So for me I don't call it a rip off look when they did the right thing asking permission and was granted it. 

Technically, they've been in italics for way longer than I knew them in block, but I still consider the italics the "new numbers".  IMO they're better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived