NFL | San Francisco 49ers Primary Logo Rebrand | Drafts B+C

Go Red Sox!

Personally, I think the black outline on the letters is necessary as there isn't a big enough difference between the red and gold.

XcryMwi.png

On 5/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, HRC4 said:

Personally, I think the black outline on the letters is necessary as there isn't a big enough difference between the red and gold.

Thanks, HRC4.

I don't know what display device you're using when looking at my logo, since cell phones have never been the most reliable device when it's about correct color display in general. The color contrast, as it is displayed on my calibrated computer screen, is perfectly fine. I could even remove the black drop shadow without reducing it too much.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:48 PM, Jake3.roo said:

Yeah, why did you keep the drop shadow? Imo, it's the worst part of their logo.

Thanks, Jake3.roo.

My drop shadows aren't two- but three-dimensional, plus the font's outline is now gold instead of black. In terms of the use of drop shadows, I think you can't compare the two designs anymore, since the original logo has initials that are outlined in black AND have that very superfluous, outdated 2-D drop shadow of the same coloration, while my logo uses a 3-D drop shadow in black to enhance color contrast. What I'm trying to say is that my drop shadows, whether you like or hate them, at least make a lot more sense than the one that's being used in the original mark which looks just tacky and absolutely superfluous.

However, I will post one or two drafts that I have in mind right now.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Draft_B_San_Francisco_49ers_primary_logo

Draft B | Use of current shade of darker scarlet and no drop shadows

Draft_C_San_Francisco_49ers_primary_logo

Draft C | Use of lighter shade of scarlet and gold 3-D drop shadows

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

1 hour ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Draft_C_San_Francisco_49ers_primary_logo

Draft C | Use of lighter shade of scarlet and gold 3-D drop shadows

I really like this, how would it look if the gold replaced black?

Excellent!

59 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I really like this, how would it look if the gold replaced black?

Wouldn't look good at all, and it wouldn't really make sense, since the logo will be placed on a metallic gold helmet anyway. Compared to a dark gold outline, it very likely would look better with a white border – at least on helmets.

i think the coloring looks good, but the "s" is off. It will look better if the apex of the s is parallel with the line the f makes. The knee of the s should be parallel with the vertical line the back of the f makes. 

I think you're definitely on to something! Keep it up! 

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I like how it looks, but in terms of your drop shadow "making more sense", wouldn't the shadow of the S extend across the F as well, especially if it's 3D (like the current logo)?

7 hours ago, tigers said:

With the drop shadow why does it not go across the F when the S is above it?

Thanks, WavePunter/tigers. I haven't tried that out because I wanted to avoid just that. In my design, both letters are on the same level, while in the original logo the "S" is placed on top of the "F".

2 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Thanks, WavePunter/tigers. I haven't tried that out because I wanted to avoid just that. In my design, both letters are on the same level, while in the original logo the "S" is placed on top of the "F".

If they're on the same level, why does the S maintain its outline, but not the F?

39 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

If they're on the same level, why does the S maintain its outline, but not the F?

Because it would look terribly wrong?

2 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Because it would look terribly wrong?

If it was on one level, the outline wouldn't cross one letter or the other.. It would be like the two letters were one symbol.. Have you tried it with the outline not crossing the F, but otherwise outlining both letters?

16 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

If it was on one level, the outline wouldn't cross one letter or the other.. It would be like the two letters were one symbol.. Have you tried it with the outline not crossing the F, but otherwise outlining both letters?

I don't need to try it, since you wouldn't recognize the logo as "SF" anymore.

You're mistakenly taking the outlined "S" and "F" for three-dimensional letters, which they're not. That's why I'm saying that both letters are on one level, regardless whether the one letter has outlines crossing the other letter or not. The only three-dimensional part of my logo is the three-dimensional "shadow" behind/underneath the initials.

28 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

I don't need to try it, since you wouldn't recognize the logo as "SF" anymore.

You're mistakenly taking the outlined "S" and "F" for three-dimensional letters, which they're not. That's why I'm saying that both letters are on one level, regardless whether the one letter has outlines crossing the other letter or not. The only three-dimensional part of my logo is the three-dimensional "shadow" behind/underneath the initials.

I'm not mistakenly taking anything for anything.. But the presence of outlines for one letter suggests that it is in fact on top of the other letter.. Your artwork seems to be what is mistaken here, as it suggests things you don't intend.. And again, my opinion relies heavily on the fact that you suggested that your shadows make a lot more sense, which I'm not sure I agree with entirely, since it seems to be misleading in some degree..

Also, nobody has trouble distinguishing the letters for the Yankees, Mets, SF Giants, Padres, Etc, even though they aren't separated with different outlines.. I think we'd still be able to identify it as "SF".. I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea if it would look good, but I don't think it'll be hard to recognize the letters involved..

Archived