What’s the worst mlb logo

Ah, the mlb. Our national pastime. Some mlb logos are iconic. (Yankees, Red Sox, etc) But sometimes the logos are boring, an eyesore, or just too many things are in the logo.

Sometimes teams get rid of a primary logo and replace it with a BLAND cap logo. (Padres, Pirates, Rockies, etc)  Or an expansion team tries out some colors that don’t go together. (Except for the diamondbacks, that old logo is great) 

I still haven’t found a way to put my photos on here. So I would like that tech genius who can to put up a bracket kind of poll. To make up a tournament poll to see what is the worst mlb logo. (DO A BRACKET OF 32 plz) 

GOOD LUCK!!

(Go Braves, I’m an Atlantan!) 

Sincerely, Daniel :V

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Only considering current primaries)

Truth be told, I am am not concerned a great deal with primary logos.  I feel like caps are more a part of the identity than primaries.  In fact I had to open up the sporslogos.net "mother-ship" just to be aware of what each team's primary is.  

National League: I guess I'd go with the Rockies because I'm not a fan of using both city/team initials, though I'd consider the Padres since I HATE their "broken" D.  Also, I'm not a big fan of the dodgers logo, though "motion lines" seem to be a logo trait in LA.  I think my favorite primary is the Phillies.  Unique, generally dignified and since "Phillies" is just short for the city, using a city symbol like the Liberty Bell is fitting.

American League: I think there are fewer bad logos.  I guess the Indians (which in no way invalidates their phasing out of their caricature).  The may as well go roundel on that one and look like the A's and Rangers.  I'm not a huge fan of the Rangers logo because of how over-done the "T" is.  Favorite is probably Boston. But I like Houston's roundel and I like the Angels logo.  As an aside, I think Tamp needs to remove the home plate and second base from its logo.  Just be on a diamond/tilted square.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Rangers' Western-style "T." 

I can't stand it. It's just an ugly looking letter that doesn't match with the "T" on the "TEXAS" jerseys. It also has an odd outline/drop shadow that just looks bad. 

I was just posting something very similar.  The over-done "T" is terrible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

You can't get much more of a polished turd than the Brewers recent "rebrand."
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbH5RsDrxSbTVRGLEweImilwaukee_brewers_2018-pres.png

So the logo is more legible at smaller sizes now... great.  Except it still has 3 outlines and the barley sprig becomes a muddled mess thanks to the lack of contrast with navy and gold.  Only you can't get rid of the outlines, or else you lose the gold entirely when viewed at a distance and see exactly why the M isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

bf6c0a884cba4d6ecb9083259391c7a5f0b46aad

The Brewers over-did a lot with their update.  Too many outlines and drop shadows.  Too loopy of a font (particularly the "B").  I've kinda warmed up to the wheat outline but overall, this is the worst look in their history without even having to give it any thought.  Regarding the current primary (which I believe is the first "M" in the above post, It's not, in and of itself, awful.  Yeah, way too many outlines/shadows.  But I don't think it does as much of a disservice to the primary logo as it (on the "M" and the wordmarks) does on the uniforms.

I first joined the boards in 2004 and my recollection is that the members (a much smaller number of people) liked the Brewers look.  But it seems to have grown less popular over time.  I think the dark colors, overdone elements, times new roman number font, etc. aged very poorly.

POTD (Shared)

Aged poorly is a perfect way to put it.  I didn't hate the rebrand at the time, but I do remember thinking it was completely unnecessary with the club's first major overhaul being only 5 years old.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I first joined the boards in 2004 and my recollection is that the members (a much smaller number of people) liked the Brewers look.  But it seems to have grown less popular over time.  I think the dark colors, overdone elements, times new roman number font, etc. aged very poorly.

THE BALL-IN-GLOVE HAS NO EXPLICIT CONNECTION TO BEERMAKING!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If we're talking primary logo, then Wahoo doesn't count, otherwise he'd win this in a landslide.

That being said:

AL: Either Baltimore or Tampa Bay  Baltimore's primary logo just doesn't work well in many applications (probably why you usually just see the bird), and Tampa's isn't creative in the least, and seems "harsh" since it's all uppercase letters, but is trying to convey sunshine and happiness.  Though similar, I think STL's bird/script works much better than Baltimore's, because the script is flat, giving it more of a "square" shape, also because it's reached iconic status, while the Orioles' script has not.

lty880yrmrra64y6tqfqmdnbf.gifqiru2jftx1a378eq8ad0s4ik4.gif

NL: Not too many bad ones here, so I'mma have to go with Braves, because it's just their jersey script, and it's too horizontal and doesn't fit space well, be it as an avatar or in an on-screen graphic.

5171502018.gif

There are definitely worse logos than these in MLB, but again, I'm limiting this to designated primaries.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, insert name said:

I still defend the Brewers current brand. They just messed up the past few years trying to incorporate the BIG logo with the current colors and it comes off all wrong.

They just need to pick a lane. Right now they have two different scripts in use, two different logos, and three different color schemes. 

If they could just decide whether they want to use the ball in glove or the "M" on their cap/sleeve and scrap the rest they'd be ok but they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

The Rays, and it’s not even close. The Navy is overused, we all know this. When the Rays dropped the “Devil” from their name they should have went with green. It is more unique and better fits a team in Florida. Or they could have just went with powder blue and yellow. Making Navy the primary was just one issue though. 

The “Diamond Logo” is the blandest crap in baseball. It has zero visual appeal. The script looks awful on anything, but particularly this logo. The Sunburst is awkwardly placed. The colors clash poorly in the logo and the drop shadow is outdated (and thats a nice way of putting it). The TB, like someone else said here already, looks thrown together and corporate. The font is so dull. I think I could make a better logo, and MANY others on this site sure as hell could. The uniforms suck too. Rays at home and on the road? No! 

Imagine if that gorgeous Devil Ray recolored logo was used more frequently. It is a great logo, and much better than anything they use. I can live with the colors being what they are if that logo is used as the primary. Then they can use the Sunburst on the caps like they have before. If it were up to me, this is what would happen.

Ray logo as the primary

Sunburst alternate

New script and uniforms.

But that wont happen, because Tampa doesn’t know what it wants. No question, Tampa is the worst. /rant

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

You can't get much more of a polished turd than the Brewers recent "rebrand."
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbH5RsDrxSbTVRGLEweImilwaukee_brewers_2018-pres.png

So the logo is more legible at smaller sizes now... great.  Except it still has 3 outlines and the barley sprig becomes a muddled mess thanks to the lack of contrast with navy and gold.  Only you can't get rid of the outlines, or else you lose the gold entirely when viewed at a distance and see exactly why the M isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

bf6c0a884cba4d6ecb9083259391c7a5f0b46aad

Well, it's only got 2 outlines to start with, which may be a bit superfluous, but only supports the idea that the logo was meant to primarily go on a navy background, like the cap (it loses the 2nd outline on a navy background).. But it's not ever needed.. The bottom image you posted looks good and is clean..

Also an issue with their colors is how the metallic gold translates to textiles, print, electronics, etc.. The first M you posted uses a dreary olive-drab looking color, which isn't their true look.. The wheat always looked great on the cap, which shows it contrasts well with navy.. I think getting too outline-happy and using an overly-generic number font are the biggest knocks for this set.. Extending the drop tail a bit would help as well, but all-in-all, those are just a few minor tweaks that would amount to a massive overall upgrade without affecting the integrity of the brand whatsoever.. All the key elements would remain unchanged.. 

It's a solid identity that gets far too much criticism imo.. It's not amazing by any means, but it's a very solid, serviceable identity, and I prefer it to the BiG..

Archived