College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Beyond issuing postseason bans for infractions, it really isn't. The NCAA itself doesn't run the bowls, AP poll, coaches' poll, College Football Playoff, and didn't run the Bowl Alliance, or Bowl Championship Series either. Whereas the NCAA is in charge of the lower division football championship tournaments, March Madness, etc.

Good point. My assumptions were incorrect.

1 hour ago, Gary. said:

Urban Meyer quitting as Ohio State HC? I haven’t seen the details yet, but is there a heart tumor that we don’t know about or is there about to be drama?

He's had an arachnoid cyst in his brain since 1998 as a 2012 SL Price story in SI detailed. He never got it removed, only drained in 2014.

2 hours ago, Gary. said:

Urban Meyer quitting as Ohio State HC? I haven’t seen the details yet, but is there a heart tumor that we don’t know about or is there about to be drama?

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

He's had an arachnoid cyst in his brain since 1998 as a 2012 SL Price story in SI detailed. He never got it removed, only drained in 2014.

I'm guessing the cyst, the fallout from Zach Smith issues and the rumor that some people in the playoff committee devalued that win over Michigan was enough to step away. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This totally escaped me over the weekend.  Reading his replies shows there is "Two Americas"...  

Let's see...Kyler Murray left his father's alma mater in Texas A&M to play at Oklahoma, Shea Patterson left Ole Miss to play at Michigan, Joe Burrow left Ohio State to play at LSU, Baker Mayfield found success at Oklahoma after Texas Tech, Jared Stitham left Baylor for Auburn. Don't bash transferring at QB, Kirk.

Loved this response too.

10 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

This totally escaped me over the weekend.  Reading his replies shows there is "Two Americas"...  

Let's see...Kyler Murray left his father's alma mater in Texas A&M to play at Oklahoma, Shea Patterson left Ole Miss to play at Michigan, Joe Burrow left Ohio State to play at LSU, Baker Mayfield found success at Oklahoma after Texas Tech, Jared Stitham left Baylor for Auburn. Don't bash transferring at QB, Kirk.

Loved this response too.

I wouldn't say two Americas as much as two different views on what the players decided to do. In Jalen Hurt's case, thre aren't too many good to great schools that play in a way that Alabama had let him. He's not going to be a quarterback at the next level because his passing is too inconsistent. He's Lamar Jackson with less speed. Kyler Murray left a team that was so dysfunctional the other quarterback that had any time left too! Shea Patterson ditched Mississippi because Jordan Ta'amu replaced him and the Rebels were facing a bowl ban. Joe Burrow maybe could have been J.T. Barrett's replacement but Dwayne Haskins got snaps when Burrow broke his hand and took full advantage. Had they all stayed in place, Murray would have graduated last year and the rest of the players mentioned that played this year would only see mop up work. I didn't like the idea of players announcing they were leaving halfway through the year but if you see you can get a better gig somewhere else, why wait? Kelly Bryant will almost certainly be headed to Auburn as Jarrett Stidham announced today he's going pro. Why sit behind Lawrence when you'll be getting first team snaps and weekly exposure? He's also more mobile than Stidham, so he'll be able to cover up some of their line issues if they don't get fixed. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

In Jalen Hurt's case, thre aren't too many good to great schools that play in a way that Alabama had let him. He's not going to be a quarterback at the next level because his passing is too inconsistent. He's Lamar Jackson with less speed.

So he shouldn't transfer because he's an agile, explosive QB with maturity issues like Cam Newton, Michael Vick, RG3, Donovan McNabb, Byron Leftwich, and Dante Culpepper?

2 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So he shouldn't transfer because he's an agile, explosive QB with maturity issues like Cam Newton, Michael Vick, RG3, Donovan McNabb, Byron Leftwich, and Dante Culpepper?

I'm saying he didn't transfer because the schools that he would've wanted to go play at already had starters that were better than him. He could go play at a Group of 5 school and be the best player on the field but that's not something that former starting quarterbacks at Alabama usually do. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Bolt957 said:

Wanted to hear your thoughts about conference realignment talks popping up again. Rumor has it, the Big Ten is targeting Oklahoma and Texas by the 2024-25 season, per a report on 24/7 Sports.

Link: Big Ten Targeting OU and Texas

It Greg Flugaur.

Look at his past Tweets involving "BTM" and judge for yourself.  He seems to be doing his a few weeks early, as the second week of January is when he drives up the realignment bull$#it.

In 2016, he believed the Big XII would expand by 4 because the Texas schools wanted BYU/Houston while the others wanted UConn/Cincinnati thus adding 4 was the compromise.

He's also annually said North Dakota is going to join the Big Ten for hockey too.

1 hour ago, Bolt957 said:

Wanted to hear your thoughts about conference realignment talks popping up again. Rumor has it, the Big Ten is targeting Oklahoma and Texas by the 2024-25 season, per a report on 24/7 Sports.

Link: Big Ten Targeting OU and Texas

The leagues going past 12 makes scheduling hard enough. At 16, the Big Ten would almost be better to have East and West play separate conference games and the division champs meet in the Big Ten title match. That wouldn't happen but protected games would be gone and teams in the East and West wouldn't play teams in their division because Oklahoma and Texas would be passed around the league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Florida AD Scott Stricklin is open to scheduling a 2-for-1 with UCF, like they already have done with USF.

UCF AD Danny White responded "I'm encouraged to hear that UF is open to the idea of playing us in football. Since I've been here, it had been made clear to me there wasn't much hope of that," which is bull :censored: considering, again, USF and UF already agreed to a deal.

It seems to me like UCF is not trying very hard to schedule good out of conference games all the while throwing their hands up and claiming nobody will play them.  There are a number of reasons teams like Florida, Florida State, or Miami would want to schedule a series with UCF.  UF and UCF played in, I think, 2006 and UF won handily.  They were supposed to play the next year but Florida let them out.  I think there was one other time more recently that UCF ducked Florida and now they suddenly can't sink to the level of not getting a one-and-one, so the idea that the bigger programs are scared of UCF is absurd.

IUe6Hvh.png

UCF needs to be careful here.  As much as I'm on their side because FBS football is the dumbest thing ever, what always happens in these cases is the coach will get plucked to go to a power-5 team, they'll get a new coach, recruiting will suffer, and they'll eventually fall back and just be another team.

Temple is a good example.  Al Golden basically rescued the program, then went to Miami and they fell back.  Then eventually Matt Rhule had them in the top 10, then went to Baylor and they fell back down.  Then Geoff Collins gets them to a bowl and... leaves for GA Tech.

It's a system where the poor can't become rich, because the rich literally take from the poor.  The Power 5 teams want to say "get better", "schedule better teams", then take the coaches that are making the lesser teams good, then talk down to them for not having good coaches.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

48 minutes ago, See Red said:

Florida AD Scott Stricklin is open to scheduling a 2-for-1 with UCF, like they already have done with USF.

UCF AD Danny White responded "I'm encouraged to hear that UF is open to the idea of playing us in football. Since I've been here, it had been made clear to me there wasn't much hope of that," which is bull :censored: considering, again, USF and UF already agreed to a deal.

It seems to me like UCF is not trying very hard to schedule good out of conference games all the while throwing their hands up and claiming nobody will play them.  There are a number of reasons teams like Florida, Florida State, or Miami would want to schedule a series with UCF.  UF and UCF played in, I think, 2006 and UF won handily.  They were supposed to play the next year but Florida let them out.  I think there was one other time more recently that UCF ducked Florida and now they suddenly can't sink to the level of not getting a one-and-one, so the idea that the bigger programs are scared of UCF is absurd.

Is Florida scheduling two-for-ones where they go on the road twice? If not, then there's no reason UCF should be held to that same standard. UCF not wanting to participate in garbage scheduling practices like that should be applauded. Criticizing them for this is basically one step removed from, "Why don't they just join a better conference, since it's up to them!??!"

Archived