College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So Texas wins big vs USC and will still end up 7-5.

This season so far:

Texas beat USC, and Maryland beat Texas, and Temple beat Maryland, and Villanova beat Temple, and Towson beat Villanova.

You heard it here first...Towson's crashing the "New Year's Six" party this year.

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

A surprising amount of chaos today. It feels like most of the top teams are at a pretty equal level in the "Very competitive yet still a mile behind Alabama" category. 

This is going to be a really fun football season until the CFB Playoffs. Then it's basically going to be Warriors vs It Doesn't Matter. 

Bama.....Patriots.......Warriors.....and then we cha-cha.

24 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Weird how USC was overrated. Nobody could have possibly seen such a thing coming. So very out of character for them.

But they're NOT overrated.

They lost Darnold and replaced him with a kid who should be a HS senior but he reclassified.

Helton is now 22-8 with both Rose Bowl and a Pac12 championship.

The Big Ten West is an absolute joke. Not a legit top-25 team among them.  I guess Iowa is the favorite followed by, maybe Minnesota?  This might be the year that brings back the Legends and the Leaders.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The Big Ten West is an absolute joke. Not a legit top-25 team among them.  I guess Iowa is the favorite followed by, maybe Minnesota?  This might be the year that brings back the Legends and the Leaders.

Why worry about that when TCU is apparently the 15th best squad?

It's basically a about 6-8 teams for four CFP slots and both divisions of the SEC and the B1G East champion looked to be in.

Clemson's best win may be Aggie or BC, who both may have three losses.

Oklahoma may have a three loss team as best win

42 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

But they're NOT overrated.

They lost Darnold and replaced him with a kid who should be a HS senior but he reclassified.

Helton is now 22-8 with both Rose Bowl and a Pac12 championship.

It looks to me like they shouldn't have been a preseason top 20 then. And now they don't look top 25. It's not Texas bad with the preseason top 25 slots or anything. I'm probably just overplaying this thought in my head because of the Notre Dame whipping they got last year, so maybe you're right. They did end up with 11 wins that season.

I also want to thank Clay Helton for helping make Arkansas State pretty decent. He was supposed to be the A-State OC back in 2010 but backed out to go to USC with Lane Kiffin. This lead to us grabbing Hugh Freeze as OC and the rest is history.

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

A surprising amount of chaos today. It feels like most of the top teams are at a pretty equal level in the "Very competitive yet still a mile behind Alabama" category. 

This is going to be a really fun football season until the CFB Playoffs. Then it's basically going to be Warriors vs It Doesn't Matter. 

Every single G5 conference picked up a win vs. the P5 this week. You're not wrong about Alabama though. They may well put up 50 every single week.

I say this as a USC fan, the team is horrible. The play calling has been trash for the past 3 seasons under Tee Martin, and Sam Darnold/Ronald Jones were able to mask it. The play in the trenches has also been soft since the Carroll era, but particularly since Leonard Williams and Tyron Smith left. Clay Helton has a good resume so far (due to a weak conf and a superstar QB), but it's a mirage, and his staff is atrocious. He's not a National Championship Level coach by any means.

7 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

You're not sold on Nebraska? ?

3 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

I say this as a USC fan, the team is horrible. The play calling has been trash for the past 3 seasons under Tee Martin, and Sam Darnold/Ronald Jones were able to mask it. The play in the trenches has also been soft since the Carroll era, but particularly since Leonard Williams and Tyron Smith left. Clay Helton has a good resume so far (due to a weak conf and a superstar QB), but it's a mirage, and his staff is atrocious. He's not a National Championship Level coach by any means.

Hasn't the PAC 10/12 always been kinda weak?

A "national championship coach"? Get in line. The Pete Carrol era was a great time, not what you should expect.  $hit, after John Robinson, y'all had Larry Smith, Ted Tolner and others.

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Hasn't the PAC 10/12 always been kinda weak?

A "national championship coach"? Get in line. The Pete Carrol era was a great time, not what you should expect.  $hit, after John Robinson, y'all had Larry Smith, Ted Tolner and others.

Yes, but Smith, Tolner, and Hackett didn't stick around too long. Not saying they need to go out and get Nick Saban or Dabo Sweeney, but it's apparent to anybody who's actually watched USC for more than 2-3 games over the past 3 seasons, that Clay helton doesnt have the chops to reach that level. They average top 5 recruiting classes and the coaching does jack :censored: with it. Even with Darnold they had plenty of games where they looked totally out of sync and not ready to play.

It was a terrible hire by Pat Haden, who is gone now. A blue blood program should never be hiring a first time HC.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, OnWis97 said:

Perhaps an opinion out of left field (and I think I've expressed it before), but major conferences should just get rid of divisions. Each team gets its 1 or 2 protected rivals, then rotates through the rest of the conference from year to year. Design the schedule such that it's impossible for three teams to go undefeated, then the conference championship can be the top two teams in a "single-table" standings (like the Big XII).

This helps to mitigate situations where one division is perennially better than the other -- the ACC, Big Ten and SEC all have this problem -- while also giving any four-year player a chance to play in every stadium in the conference, which isn't something that currently happens. It obviously won't fix schedule imbalance, but it should at least make it random rather than systematic, which would be a step in the right direction, and it's something that's absolutely required in order for me to support a playoff with automatic qualifiers (remember the time 7-5 Wisconsin won the Big Ten?).

6fQjS3M.png

8 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Perhaps an opinion out of left field (and I think I've expressed it before), but major conferences should just get rid of divisions. Each team gets its 1 or 2 protected rivals, then rotates through the rest of the conference from year to year. Design the schedule such that it's impossible for three teams to go undefeated, then the conference championship can be the top two teams in a "single-table" standings (like the Big XII).

This helps to mitigate situations where one division is perennially better than the other -- the ACC, Big Ten and SEC all have this problem -- while also giving any four-year player a chance to play in every stadium in the conference, which isn't something that currently happens. It obviously won't fix schedule imbalance, but it should at least make it random rather than systematic, which would be a step in the right direction, and it's something that's absolutely required in order for me to support a playoff with automatic qualifiers (remember the time 7-5 Wisconsin won the Big Ten?).

I tend to agree.  Of course, I don't think conference championship games should exist anyway. 

Wisconsin demolished Nebraska in a Big Ten Championship game that they shouldn't have been in.  It wasn't an unbalanced division issue - Penn State and Ohio State were barred. Wisconsin was 4-4 in Big Ten play.  I never felt good about our involvement in that game.

If I were king, a whole bunch of impossible things would happen, including ten-team conference with full round-robin schedules.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I tend to agree.  Of course, I don't think conference championship games should exist anyway. 

Wisconsin demolished Nebraska in a Big Ten Championship game that they shouldn't have been in.  It wasn't an unbalanced division issue - Penn State and Ohio State were barred. Wisconsin was 4-4 in Big Ten play.  I never felt good about our involvement in that game.

If I were king, a whole bunch of impossible things would happen, including ten-team conference with full round-robin schedules.  

If the Big XII got Big Ten/SEC money on the next TV deal that could happen. Then again Texas would have to commit the Longhorn Network to the pyre. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived