College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

The Clemson game will turn into a one off in Atlanta and the Texas game will be in either Arlington or Houston as the money from the NFL will be too great.

UGA and Clemson did a H&H in 2013-14 and are scheduled to do the Atlanta kickoff thing in 2024. I’d bet on Clemson and Georgia becoming more of a regular matchup on the home campuses.

UGA isn’t agreeing to a “neutral” site anywhere but Atlanta. The Texas one will probably go the way of the now-cancelled Georgia-Ohio State matchups. However, I think our AD saw how the fan base responded to the Notre Dame trip last year and is giving people more of what they want. I just can’t believe he scheduled Clemson and Texas for the same season. It’s hard to imagine that the SEC will get away with only 8 conference games 10 years from now, so that’s a zero OOC cupcake schedule for Georgia. That’s not happening. 

PJU85JF.png

4 hours ago, alxy8s said:

UGA and Clemson did a H&H in 2013-14 and are scheduled to do the Atlanta kickoff thing in 2024. I’d bet on Clemson and Georgia becoming more of a regular matchup on the home campuses.

UGA isn’t agreeing to a “neutral” site anywhere but Atlanta. The Texas one will probably go the way of the now-cancelled Georgia-Ohio State matchups. However, I think our AD saw how the fan base responded to the Notre Dame trip last year and is giving people more of what they want. I just can’t believe he scheduled Clemson and Texas for the same season. It’s hard to imagine that the SEC will get away with only 8 conference games 10 years from now, so that’s a zero OOC cupcake schedule for Georgia. That’s not happening. 

The Big Ten is already considering going back to 8 conference games and requiring that extra OOC game to be vs a Power 5 team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The Big Ten is already considering going back to 8 conference games and requiring that extra OOC game to be vs a Power 5 team. 

The NCAA should just extend the regular season to 16 games like the NFL.  😀

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

The NCAA should just extend the regular season to 16 games like the NFL.  😀

The NCAA should make the FBS teams follow the same rules every other division has. That's 11 game schedules, and 16-24 team playoff. People cry about what that will do to teams that have tutors that actually travel with the teams wherever they go, but it works for Mount Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater every year and they have less resources than even the MAC. Will anyone really cry when the Idaho Potato Bowl is no longer played? I'm not saying scrap all the bowls, just trim them down and use them as a reward for winning 8 games a year instead of scraping by with 5 or 6 wins. One good thing to come out of Cupcake week is that the American will be center stage Saturday night. Other than a couple teams playing to get to 6 wins the SEC, Big Ten and ACC aren't really offering anything substantive and the only other big story is Notre Dame trying to stay unbeaten. 

On 11/12/2018 at 3:08 PM, alxy8s said:

If the committee's start treating these with more respect than they do a Week 12 game where you blow out a FCS team by 40 I think you'll see these games played. The committee needs to say, "If you want to play cupcakes, (FCS teams), in November we're going to count it against you". It's one thing if the SEC has Alabama playing Vanderbilt Week 12, you can't control how week a team in your own league is.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Not that they will not revisit the issue, but was considered back in May and many AD's were on record, however in August, they released schedules for 2022-2025 with nine conference games

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Not that they will not revisit the issue, but was considered back in May and many AD's were on record, however in August, they released schedules for 2022-2025 with nine conference games

Is that, 2015, also in line with when the next deal for the playoff (possible expansion, etc.)?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is that, 2015, also in line with when the next deal for the playoff (possible expansion, etc.)?

Yes, it is aligned with the College Football Playoff contract, but three years more than the current B1G TV contracts with ESPN and FS1.

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Yes, it is aligned with the College Football Playoff contract, but three years more than the current B1G TV contracts with ESPN and FS1.

So unless the SEC gets shafted on money for their deal,  I'd expect another big check from Fox and Disney.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

34 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So unless the SEC gets shafted on money for their deal,  I'd expect another big check from Fox and Disney.

SEC is getting ready for  bidders on the CBS portion, which expires after the 2023-24 season, but that's all they have as the ESPN/SEC Network portion of the inventory is under contract through 2034.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NCAA should make the FBS teams follow the same rules every other division has. That's 11 game schedules, and 16-24 team playoff. People cry about what that will do to teams that have tutors that actually travel with the teams wherever they go, but it works for Mount Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater every year and they have less resources than even the MAC. Will anyone really cry when the Idaho Potato Bowl is no longer played? I'm not saying scrap all the bowls, just trim them down and use them as a reward for winning 8 games a year instead of scraping by with 5 or 6 wins. One good thing to come out of Cupcake week is that the American will be center stage Saturday night. Other than a couple teams playing to get to 6 wins the SEC, Big Ten and ACC aren't really offering anything substantive and the only other big story is Notre Dame trying to stay unbeaten.

This has always been my beef with people talking about players being away from classes because of playoffs. Baseball players disappear for stretches in the regular season and basketball is somehow able to function through it's own playoff but FBS football players specifically have no way of possibly coping.

In other news, look for Les Miles to be back on the sidelines soon.  He and LSU worked out a deal for a lump sum payment of $1.5 million, rather than him continuing to be paid what he was making when he was fired in 2016.

LSU, Les Miles agree to settlement on remaining buyout money owed

Les was getting paid about $133,000 every month and would have continued to do so until 2023.  That adds up to about $6.5 million left to be paid by the University.  However, if he took another coaching job, that amount would have been reduced by whatever any new school would be paying him.

Ol' Les appeared to be happy in semi-retirement; still living in Baton Rouge, collecting his owed salary, and making commercials for Dos Equis and Dr. Pepper.  I think the ONLY reason he is taking that $1.5 million lump sum buyout is because he plans to coach again this coming year (or even moreso, if he already has something lined up).

Kansas has been discussed in the news, but there are also good possibilities at Maryland and Louisville, where Miles (who has always run clean programs) could be brought in  to remove the tarnish on those programs... or it may be somewhere else altogether.

Whichever school gets him will have a championship-winning coach (who also brought a team to a 2nd championship game) beloved by his players,  and a man of sterling character, (not to mention an 'entertaining character')

It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

In other news, look for Les Miles to be back on the sidelines soon.  He and LSU worked out a deal for a lump sum payment of $1.5 million, rather than him continuing to be paid what he was making when he was fired in 2016.

LSU, Les Miles agree to settlement on remaining buyout money owed

Les was getting paid about $133,000 every month and would have continued to do so until 2023.  That adds up to about $6.5 million left to be paid by the University.  However, if he took another coaching job, that amount would have been reduced by whatever any new school would be paying him.

Ol' Les appeared to be happy in semi-retirement; still living in Baton Rouge, collecting his owed salary, and making commercials for Dos Equis and Dr. Pepper.  I think the ONLY reason he is taking that $1.5 million lump sum buyout is because he plans to coach again this coming year (or even moreso, if he already has something lined up).

Kansas has been discussed in the news, but there area also good possibilities at Maryland and Louisville, where Miles (who has always ran clean programs) could be brought in  to remove the tarnish on those programs... or it may be somewhere else altogether.

Whichever school gets him will have a championship-winning coach (who also brought a team to a 2nd championship game) beloved by his players,  and a man of sterling character, (not to mention an 'entertaining character')

I could see Louisville or Kansas but I think Maryland would be better off keeping Canada as head coach. It seems he and the staff still there have the players ears and there's a better mood there now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I could see Louisville or Kansas but I think Maryland would be better off keeping Canada as head coach. It seems he and the staff still there have the players ears and there's a better mood there now.

Long and Miles crosses paths at Michigan when Long was Asst. AD and Miles was OL coach.

Long was in L.A. early this week, so many think he was talking to the agent for Rams coach Jedd Fisch.

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Stanford@Cal postponed to December 1 due to poor air quality.

https://calbears.com/news/2018/11/16/football-big-game-rescheduled-for-saturday-dec-1.aspx

Sacramento State vs UC Davis is forced to go over the Sierra Nevada's to Nevada's stadium in Reno tomorrow

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived