College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

9 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Gotta give a shout out to what Frost is doing at NU. Starting the season with 6 losses is horrendous, but the second half of this season has been fun to watch. 4 wins in the last 5 games with the lone loss being a neck-and-neck 5pt game in the Horseshoe? Night and day difference. 

Shaky start, but that's looking more and more on the previous regime. Players are getting the new system and I like what's to come. 

Both QBs need work but they should be good to go by next fall. I'd be surprised if Nebraska has less than 7 wins next year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Both QBs need work but they should be good to go by next fall. I'd be surprised if Nebraska has less than 7 wins next year. 

You might want to check Martinez's stats again. He's thrown for almost 2400 yards with a 65% completion rate and ran for 500+ yards on the ground. 

And he's a true freshman. He's not perfect, but he's playing like an upperclassman. By the time he actually IS an upperclassman he'll probably have even better numbers. 

Agree that the bench is shallow, however, but that's not unheard of with a new coach. Gebbia was a solid #2 but decided to take his ball and go home (or to Oregon State) after he didn't win the starting job. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

12 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't know why you're complaining. They just lost to the self-proclaimed defending College Football champions. Beating anyone with that title would be difficult I assure you.

I not calling out just UC. I mean everybody. Reds, Bengals, UC, Xavier. Anytime a Cincinnati team play in primetime in front of a national audience they choke and dont even look somewhat good. Yes I get UC was playing UCF but we didnt even look an ounce of good. This is part of what the locals call the Cincinnati curse, we cant win or play good in primetime and we cant win playoff games.

Signature intentionally left blank

58 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

You might want to check Martinez's stats again. He's thrown for almost 2400 yards with a 65% completion rate and ran for 500+ yards on the ground. 

And he's a true freshman. He's not perfect, but he's playing like an upperclassman. By the time he actually IS an upperclassman he'll probably have even better numbers. 

Agree that the bench is shallow, however, but that's not unheard of with a new coach. Gebbia was a solid #2 but decided to take his ball and go home (or to Oregon State) after he didn't win the starting job. 

He's still having problems making certain throws, though Michigan State was responsible for some of that. Getting that fine touch will be what gets him to the next level

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The purple nerds are in the B1G championship game.  Tennessee beating Kentucky was considered an upset.  Notre Dame benched their QB despite being undefeated.  A guy named Tua is college football's shiny new toy.  Goddamn Kentucky was ranked in the top ten.

This season has been weird.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

He's still having problems making certain throws, though Michigan State was responsible for some of that. Getting that fine touch will be what gets him to the next level

The MSU game was a bit of a wash. A 9-6 Field Goal game with howling wind and snow flurries flying like crazy. Spartans weren't completing a lot of passes either. 

To the casual NCAA fan, the stats look good-not-great, but Martinez has made some needle threading passes. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Gotta try anything to keep your bowl streak alive, especially when you can have the longest streak since Florida State is a loss to the Gators away from not going to a bowl.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-tech-details-potential-game-against-marshall-on-dec/article_3b64a4bc-eb56-11e8-9c40-9ffba95d284f.html

Virginia Tech officially announced a game against Marshall for Saturday, Dec. 1 at Lane Stadium with a noon kickoff.

That game will only be played if the Hokies can win against Virginia on Friday.

Virginia Tech (4-6, 3-4) needs six wins to reach a 26th straight bowl game. The Hokies are in the midst of a four-game losing streak after falling 38-14 to Miami on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Gotta try anything to keep your bowl streak alive, especially when you can have the longest streak since Florida State is a loss to the Gators away from not going to a bowl.

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-tech-details-potential-game-against-marshall-on-dec/article_3b64a4bc-eb56-11e8-9c40-9ffba95d284f.html

I would laugh so hard if they go through all this to get 6 wins and then are left out to dry by the bowl committees.

ExJworW.png

On 11/18/2018 at 7:26 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

I would laugh so hard if they go through all this to get 6 wins and then are left out to dry by the bowl committees.

Probably won’t happen considering 5 win teams have gone to bowl games in the past few years. 

Also that scheduling is pathetic, beating Old Dominion shouldn’t be a problem. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

On 11/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

They must beat UVa to play the Marshall game.

Overall, Marshall wins out. From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Virginia Tech will pay Marshall $300,000 if the two football teams play on Dec. 1, and have agreed to a home-and-home series in the future, a source said Monday.

If Tech loses to U.Va. on Friday, there won’t be a Dec. 1 contest, but the Hokies will still pay Marshall $100,000 and play the future home-and-home, the source confirmed.

Marshall (7-3, 5-2 CUSA) has an opening because its Sept. 15 game at South Carolina was also called off.

Conference USA has an insurance policy that would have paid Marshall $1.4 million, minus travel expenses, for the canceled game.

If the Thundering Herd play Tech on Dec. 1, that payout will be reduced by the $300,000. If not, Marshall gets the full amount.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:13 PM, dfwabel said:

Nevermind that FSU technically wasn't eligible last year but got to go bowling anyways because nobody checked how many scholarships Delaware State gave out.

LvZYtbZ.png

On 11/21/2018 at 12:23 AM, dfwabel said:

They must beat UVa to play the Marshall game.

Overall, Marshall wins out. From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Looks like the game's on! I was really hoping Wazzu would win but not surprised they lost. So UW and the Buckeyes in the Rose Bowl it is. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looks like the game's on! I was really hoping Wazzu would win but not surprised they lost. So UW and the Buckeyes in the Rose Bowl it is. 

I've got the Buckeyes in the CFP with Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma. I have this sinking feeling that they will exclude Notre Dame because they're not a conference champion.

LvZYtbZ.png

18 minutes ago, willmorris said:

I've got the Buckeyes in the CFP with Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma. I have this sinking feeling that they will exclude Notre Dame because they're not a conference champion.

12-0 without a blowout loss to a 6-6 team may be all they need.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, willmorris said:

So basically a replay of the last several years. They really need to do 8 with 5 conference champions and 3 at large. 

The same 4-6 teams getting in the playoffs is not good for College Football. Forget UCF not having a chance... no one except for those 4 have a chance at it because of preseason rankings, and 5 star recruits going to the same handful of schools

35 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Yeah, I don't see that.  Blown out on national TV by an also ran... it killed tOSU last year, and I'm guessing it will again.  (And for the record, that's OK with me, we haven't played like a playoff team most of this year... I got the game I wanted today.) ND beats USC, they're in IMO.

Archived