College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

30 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Later, Brett McMurphy comes back with "receipts" and post an alledged text exchange between the Smith and his ex-wife.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1025500090578939904

No way around it, folks. That is definitely, undeniably, unassailably, 100% an undated conversation with a contact named "Zach".

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

The thing I keep coming back to is: If Urban Meyer knew about the DV and reported it back in 2015, why didn’t he fire Zack then? 

From my understanding he was told the wife fabricated a story from years ago, and that he never hit her. The story changed and he immediately fired him. Not saying it wasn’t right to look further into it but you can’t outright fire someone just over allegations.

I keep seeing the phrase "IF Urban Meyer knew," like this issue was a zombie virus and, if he was exposed to it in 2015, there's simply nothing that can be done except removing him now. However, I'd argue that it doesn't matter if Urban Meyer was aware or not. If you weigh both scenarios, wouldn't it be worse if he didn't know? 

It's a part of Meyer's job description to be aware of issues like that and any failure in awareness is malfeasance on his part. 

Either Urban Meyer knew one of his coaches was heavily suspected of domestic violence multiple times and chose to keep him on staff full-time, or Urban Meyer was not aware of the actions of a coach who he has worked closely with for over a decade. And if the latter is the truth, how can he be expected to run a program where he's responsible for the off-field actions of 100 college-aged athletes? What else could have transpired that Meyer didn't know about? You can't run a college football program in today's day and age with a mindset of limited awareness.

Ultimately, I think the entire point is moot because Meyer is known for being tediously-detailed and is far too competent in every other area of his program. The allegations against Zach Smith weren't a secret to anyone else around the Ohio State football team and Urban is known for doxxing recruits and their parents while on recruiting visits. That doesn't sound like a profile of a man who's running a college football team in the proverbial dark, especially as someone who has always publicized the "core values" he preaches to his team:

BM-p4yoCEAEhqan.jpg

Playbook.jpeg

Honestly, all this makes the Zach Smith stuff more confusing for me.  Maybe those "core values" were for the players only, or maybe they were simply for show and Urban never believed in them at all.

Regardless of the reasoning, his loyalty to Zach Smith makes zero sense. Meyer could have had his choice of almost any WR coach in the country, and it's not like Zach Smith was an irreplaceable WR coach (his track record at Ohio State mostly involved wasting the talents of legitimate NFL receivers; an elite talent like Michael Thomas never caught more than 60 passes, 800 yards, or 10 touchdowns in a season at OSU).

Whatever the reason for Urban to keep him, whether that be loyalty or ignorance or poor decision making, the cost of this scandal will far outweigh any benefits to keeping Smith on staff.

I always said if anything like the Penn State thing ever happened at OSU then I'd put the priorities of the victims ahead of football because football isn't important. Urban's gotta go. College football needs to get smaller than it is. The wide receivers coach was making over 300 grand. WHY THE :censored: does the wide receivers coach make over 300 grand? The whole damn thing sucks so hard.

Incidentally, I was actually encouraged by how small the rally in front of Ohio Stadium was yesterday. I was concerned it'd be a bigger turnout. It looked like the very same type of visibly stupid looking a$$#oles who annoy the piss out of me and give the rest of us a bad name. It looked like the people who make me not want to attend OSU games. It looked like the fans who boo 19 year olds when they're not beating Bowling Green by enough points. I'd be very surprised if half the people in that crowd have a degree from Ohio State University.

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Good on Maryland for suspending the staff involved.

Recall, 13 Iowa players were hospitalized after workouts in 2011 and the S/C coach is still on staff and is now the highest paid S/C coach in NCAA football.

When the UCF player died under O'Leary, they had that the player has the Sickle Cell trait to their advantage and the state of Florida has a $200,000 cap on lawsuit damages for state agents.

2012, the S/C  coach kept his gig

Early Friday, it looked as if Ohio State was going to keep Urban Meyer as the school president scoffed at not meeting their own August 19 report deadline.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791437-osu-president-urban-meyer-investigation-will-be-finished-when-its-finished

Then this hits tonight.

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-smith-sex-toys-ohio-state-offices-staffer-nude-photos-white-house-08-17-2018/

Documents and receipts Stadium has obtained show Zach Smith ordered more than $2,200 in sex toys, male apparel and photography equipment and had the items delivered to him at Ohio State’s Woody Hayes Athletic Center in 2015.

The Woody Hayes Athletic Center houses all Buckeye football operations.

All of the items were delivered to “Zach Smith, Woody Hayes Athletic Center, 535 Irving Schottenstein Drive, Columbus” between February and May 2015. Copies of some of those documents are listed below.

Courtney Smith said Zach Smith took multiple photos of his penis inside the Ohio State coaches’ offices, inside the White House when the Buckeyes visited in 2015 and also photographed himself in the coaches’ offices receiving oral sex and having sex with a OSU staffer.

After winning the 2014 national title, the Buckeyes were honored at the White House on April 20, 2015.

One photo of Smith’s penis, taken on April 20, 2015 according to a time stamp, shows Smith in his black suit he wore to the White House event. Another photo of Smith’s penis includes a White House bathroom towel featuring the Seal of the President of the United States.

23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Early Friday, it looked as if Ohio State was going to keep Urban Meyer as the school president scoffed at not meeting their own August 19 report deadline.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791437-osu-president-urban-meyer-investigation-will-be-finished-when-its-finished

Then this hits tonight.

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-smith-sex-toys-ohio-state-offices-staffer-nude-photos-white-house-08-17-2018/

Not sure how one person shipping "personal items" to work would get someone else fired. The "dumb bro sending out pictures" thing is getting old too. Did no one learn after Anthony Weiner?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

AD hired after the incident so I wonder if they felt he hindered the investigation or wasn't doing enough afterwards. 

Not exactly.

Damon Evans has been at Maryland since 2014 and was acting as the interim AD after Kevin Anderson took a sabbatical in October 2017. Subsequently, Anderson resigned in April 2018 and in was hired as interim AD at Cal State Northridge weeks later and was a finalist for the Fresno State AD job.

Back to Evans, he was running the department and he had acted as Durkin’s supervisor and was responsible for monitoring all activities involving the team.  But last week claimed he really wasn't in charge at the time of McNair's death. That's cowardly behavior, but hell, Evans did that at Georgia too. He also made staff changes as two women's administrators took contract settlements.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24427572/mike-bobo-colorado-state-remains-hospitalized-staff-prepares-opener-hawaii

Colorado state will start the year without head coach Mike Bobo who is dealing with health issues.

Minnesota is going with a walk-on freshman as their starting quarterback.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24427914/true-freshman-walk-zack-annexstad-named-minnesota-golden-gophers-starting-qb

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived