College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

The First responders bowl is a salute to those who race to chaos when others race away. But not today, as after almost ten minutes, it got cancelled due to lightning.

And a tornado watch.

55 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Has there been other bowl games ever cancelled by the weather?

I want to say the Gotham Bowl was canceled one year, but I probably have the bowl wrong.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, buzzcut said:

The First responders bowl is a salute to those who race to chaos when others race away. But not today, as after almost ten minutes, it got cancelled due to lightning.

I’m ok with it. They have to be risk averse because you know they would get sued if someone got struck by lightning at a football game that they knew a thunderstorm was at.

Late to the party but the Louisiana challenge is that LSU is so much more dominant than Lafayette or Monroe. Plus the UL system is split into multiple schools. Heck, Tulane or LaTech are historically stronger programs, so it makes sense that LSU is the predominant school associated with the state. 

Same thing happening in Ohio with the Buckeyes or in Pennsylvania with the Nittany Lions. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

3 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Late to the party but the Louisiana challenge is that LSU is so much more dominant than Lafayette or Monroe. Plus the UL system is split into multiple schools. Heck, Tulane or LaTech are historically stronger programs, so it makes sense that LSU is the predominant school associated with the state. 

Same thing happening in Ohio with the Buckeyes or in Pennsylvania with the Nittany Lions. 

Yea that’s kinda the way it works when you have 1 big school in a state and that’s it. Alabama would be the same thing without auburn, Texas use to have the same problem until A&M and tech, and TCU had a recent resurgence 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Yea that’s kinda the way it works when you have 1 big school in a state and that’s it. Alabama would be the same thing without auburn, Texas use to have the same problem until A&M and tech, and TCU had a recent resurgence 

A lot of schools share a state, although one is typically more dominant (Oregon, Oregon State). There are only a few cases of major FBS programs representing their entire state. I know Nebraska is one, but so are Mizzou, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wyoming, if you want to go beyond Power 5.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've always thought that Malzahn was one of the best coaches whenever he was in charge of the offense and had extra time to prepare. That year he was at Arkansas State for instance, he took over playcalling in the second half of the season and when we had a week off to play Middle Tennessee in a de facto conference title game, we beat them 45-0. And that was a Middle team that had some hype around it as they had beaten Georgia Tech earlier that season.

While I tend to believe non-playoff bowl games don't really matter (especially when NFL-bound players sit out), I think curb stomping Michigan was good for the perception of where Florida is at right now.  There were some Michigan fans wanting to play an 'elite' SEC school like LSU (who lost to Florida).

Harbaugh is 1-9 against top ten teams and can't beat Ohio State.  How long is Michigan going to tolerate that?

IUe6Hvh.png

22 minutes ago, See Red said:

While I tend to believe non-playoff bowl games don't really matter (especially when NFL-bound players sit out), I think curb stomping Michigan was good for the perception of where Florida is at right now.  There were some Michigan fans wanting to play an 'elite' SEC school like LSU (who lost to Florida).

Harbaugh is 1-9 against top ten teams and can't beat Ohio State.  How long is Michigan going to tolerate that?

Defensively, they came in short Gary and Solomon,  They are short Gary and Solomon, Bush and Gil.

Winovich and Dwumfour were playing hurt, with Winovich having surgery for an undisclosed injury in January.  Paye went out early.  They got down to their 3rd string freshman DE, third string DT, and Furbush and Glasgow are out there full time.

13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Defensively, they came in short Gary and Solomon,  They are short Gary and Solomon, Bush and Gil.

Winovich and Dwumfour were playing hurt.  Paye went out early.  They got down to their 3rd string freshman DE, third string DT, and Furbush and Glasgow are out there full time.

And?  Florida's been starting a freshman safety at corner all season because their best has been hurt since the Kentucky game. Their best RB has been out. Tyrie Cleveland, who may well declare early, broke his collarbone last game.  That game wasn't close.

I don't think bowl games matter or indicate much of anything, but that game was big for Florida because the perception was they were a middling SEC team for some reason. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived