College Football 2018-19: Santa Clara is that a way.

buzzcut

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't think Virginia Tech and Florida State were a choice since they play five ACC teams each year as part of their agreement with the conference.  Next year it's at Louisville, at Virginia, vs Virginia Tech, at Duke, and vs Boston College.

Next year they play at Georgia and at Michigan, which is more than enough to get them in should they go undefeated.  The following year they play Wisconsin and Clemson, which probably is too.  I still wish the committee would hold no conference against them.

Notre Dame is a member at the table for the contract.  As longa s they have a seat at the table, unlike say BYU, why mess with your own money ?

2 hours ago, See Red said:

I don't think Virginia Tech and Florida State were a choice since they play five ACC teams each year as part of their agreement with the conference.  Next year it's at Louisville, at Virginia, vs Virginia Tech, at Duke, and vs Boston College.

Next year they play at Georgia and at Michigan, which is more than enough to get them in should they go undefeated.  The following year they play Wisconsin and Clemson, which probably is too.  I still wish the committee would hold no conference against them.

Totally didn't think about the ACC deal there because I'm dumb sometimes*. I assume their ACC football schedule runs on some cycle like a regular conference schedule so thye can't pick and choose. Regardless, there are usually enough teams that are good enough to make it a worthwhile schedule. And their non-con always includes major programs like Michigan, USC, and the like.

I have no affinity for Notre Dame football. I'm too young to have warm fuzzy feelings of nostalgia when they're good or anything, but they typically play a proper enough schedule that they'd make the playoff and as mentioned have a seat at the table as is.

*Most times.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Totally didn't think about the ACC deal there because I'm dumb sometimes*. I assume their ACC football schedule runs on some cycle like a regular conference schedule so thye can't pick and choose. Regardless, there are usually enough teams that are good enough to make it a worthwhile schedule. And their non-con always includes major programs like Michigan, USC, and the like.

I have no affinity for Notre Dame football. I'm too young to have warm fuzzy feelings of nostalgia when they're good or anything, but they typically play a proper enough schedule that they'd make the playoff and as mentioned have a seat at the table as is.

*Most times.

The VT and FSU games were on their schedule for several years for this season, and usually those two are top 25 teams. People blame SOS all the time, but teams can’t control when a program has a bad year. They played their schedule, they won all of the games in front of them, they reaped the benefits of those outcomes. 

Ratings from Saturday weren't good.

Saturday’s Alabama-Oklahoma Orange Bowl delivered a 10.4 overnight rating on ESPN and ESPN2, down 17% from last season’s Sugar Bowl (Alabama-Clemson: 12.5) and down a tick from the 2016 Fiesta Bowl (Clemson-Ohio State: 10.5). Compared to the last Orange Bowl to host a semifinal, overnights increased 6% from 2015 (Clemson-Oklahoma: 9.8).

Earlier in the day, the Clemson-Notre Dame Cotton Bowl scored a 10.3 — down 30% from last season’s Rose Bowl (Georgia-Oklahoma: 14.8) and down 10% from the 2016 Peach Bowl (Alabama-Washington: 11.5). Compared to the last Cotton Bowl to host a playoff semifinal, overnights increased 3% from 2015 (Alabama-Michigan State: 10.0).

Last year’s games aired on New Year’s Day and the 2015 and 2016 games on New Year’s Eve. This year’s semifinals were the first to take place outside of the New Year’s holiday, a move made to avoid the disproportionately low ratings of New Year’s Eve.

Saturday’s games generated the third and fourth-lowest overnights in College Football Playoff history (10 telecasts). Only the 2015 semis were lower.

14 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

...Syracuse! \o/

It really was an amazing season, wasn't it? They were totally in on Clemson until the very end. If only, right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Uncle Luke now happy with the Manny Diaz hire.

"I Wanna Rock" is the perfect song to have running through my head on NYE.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

28 minutes ago, See Red said:

I hate LSU. They're clearly way better but keep making stupid mistakes to keep UCF in it. 

UCF has been shooting themselves in the foot too. Spiking a ball that turned a 4th down into a new set of downs and drops on two passes that could have been touchdowns.

Can we also say James Franklin is trying to make people forget 4th and 5 by blowing the Citrus Bowl? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

“See? UCF was overrated all along! I hate Lsu, but THIS IS PROOF THAT NO GROUP OF 5 TEAM SHOULD EVER BE CONSIDERED, BECAUSE THEY SUCK!!1! S-E-C!! S-E-C!!”

I just copied and pasted a comment from ESPN’s article (the poster had an Alabama profile picture, to no one’s surprise).

Seriously though, UCF was very outmatched. While I think the game would’ve gone differently with Milton playing, it’s very possible that this was inevitable. Oh well - maybe the endless buzz around the entire city about UCF will finally die down, which I would love. They’re good, but not world beaters.

ExJworW.png

38 minutes ago, See Red said:

I hope Orgeron coaches LSU forever. Not winning this game by 30 is a testament to poor coaching. 

Missing 3 CBs by the end of the game didn't help either. That includes CB Greedy Williams who sat out.

9 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't care how much they lost by. They were physically dominated by a second string defense. 

UCF were also using a second string QB who's not remotely as good as the starter. It is what it is. UCF is all about quick snaps and LSU hasn't had to deal with that all year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

UCF didn't even want to be there, because they felt they deserved the playoff. Bowls don't even really matter.

If you want to be a P5 team you gotta have P5 excuses.

and they felt that they were the National Champions last year:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/2/16842174/ucf-national-championship-parade-banner

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived