Nuggets Evolved: Unveil New Logos, Colours, Uniforms

Dark blue, red, and of course gold are as close to their "real" colors as they get. They had them before and after the rainbow, and hidden in the rainbow. Basically part of every set until the baby blue. Baby blue was nice and unique but got deemphasized fast.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Dark blue, red, and of course gold are as close to their "real" colors as they get. They had them before and after the rainbow, and hidden in the rainbow. Basically part of every set until the baby blue. Baby blue was nice and unique but got deemphasized fast.

To me blue and gold are the only true Nuggest colours. 

Everythjng else...red, powder blue, rainbows...was just an addition. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

To me blue and gold are the only true Nuggest colours. 

Everythjng else...red, powder blue, rainbows...was just an addition. 

I see your point, but to me that's warriors and pacers. We forget the David Thompson era - pretty major red accents. And little gold then or with the first rainbows darker blue and green trim (Kiki vandeweghe era).  I still remember reading a list of a dozen official team colors in the rainbow era

On 5/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Nuggets simply do not know what they want to be.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, TalktoChuck said:

They really don’t. And I honestly don’t think they have ever known what they wanted to be. Going back to their beginnings, it’s one tweak after another pretty much every year.

I would love to know the number of years where the Nuggets didn’t make any changes to their look. I bet it’s in the single digits.

Not exactly sure where you guys are going ... so headstrong, at that.  You might be confused ... "NO BRONCOBUFF!, Pleeease!  It's TOO MANY COLORS!

But in one sense you're absolutely right - the Nuggets had some real identity crises in the 1960s.  A charter member of the ABA, the Denver Rockets were forced to change their name as the merger loomed (the NBA already had the Houston Rockets). Moreover, our logos and uniforms were a bloody mess between 1967 and 1974. From Purple and Yellow to Orange and Black, we were kinda all over the place .....

. . . . . . 8vPXdiB.png

We had a couppla bright moments, though .... Spencer Haywood  spent his rookie season in Denver in 1969-70.  Pretty much tore up the league before leaving for the NBA the next season.....

. . . . .. . . . .Y0TNk6S.png

Larry Brown was an All-Star point guard for us .... then he coached us.  Even showed Doug Moe how to coach.  And if you don't know who Doug Moe is ... just ... for godssake, just go to the next thread, do something. You're not fooling anybody anyway....

. . . . . .xOrOZqq.png

But something tells me you guys weren't talking about those early years ... Problem for you is, starting in 1981, the uniforms were fairly stable. Just three uni styles in the past 37 years:

. . . . . .zVjTSuo.png

I hope we've cleared things up for you! 

For joining us here, we have a free souvenir ... this stylized image tracing the Nuggets unis and logs over the years ... suitable for framing!

o6EgKqU.png

wS7MJ6T.png

6 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

But something tells me you guys weren't talking about those early years ... Problem for you is, starting in 1981, the uniforms were fairly stable. Just three uni styles in the past 37 years:

. . . . . .zVjTSuo.png

Those aren’t just three uniform styles in the past 37 years, those are three different brands. And this new one makes 4 different brands in just under 40 years. Substaintially changing your look every decade is not the best way to go about things. They are certainly an organization that doesn’t known what they want to be.

The more I look at this look, the more it grows on me. I just hope they actually stick with it.

jNTsTyQ.png

12 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Those aren’t just three uniform styles in the past 37 years, those are three different brands. And this new one makes 4 different brands in just under 40 years. Substaintially changing your look every decade is not the best way to go about things. They are certainly an organization that doesn’t known what they want to be.

The more I look at this look, the more it grows on me. I just hope they actually stick with it.

Me too, thanks.

Still, I'ma miss them Tetris Skylines ...    *SIGH*  

wS7MJ6T.png

On 5/18/2018 at 7:53 PM, Shadojoker said:

Denver Nuggets identity is about as confused as their owner..

He's so confused he's gonna win a Super Bowl next year .... besides, he's too rich to be confused.

Wait ..... you're a grudging St. Louis Rams guy, right?

wS7MJ6T.png

Blue and gold: That has basically been a constant with the Nuggets since the beginning of time.

To compare them to the likes of the Padres and Canucks, who've used every color in the damn rainbow, is a sin.

6uXNWAo.png

I feel like I need to point out that the rainbow skyline uniforms weren't introduced until the 1982-83 season, NOT 1981-82.

Sorry for being so pedantic, but having spent 25+ years researching NBA unis it's important to me that we get stuff like that correct. God knows there's already enough incorrect info out there, a lot of it propagated by the NBA themselves.

Overall the new uniforms aren't as bad as I was expecting, given that I hate the color combination - at least how they used it the first time around.  They did a much better job avoiding a "drab" unfiorm this time.

Feedback (I'm calling them home, road, alt, because Nike's marketing team can eat a bag of dicks.)

Home:

• Jersey: Jersey is pretty good - The colors are pretty much evenly used, it's not drab at all despite darker versions of blue and red, it's simple without being *sigh* "minimalist".  Well done. 
  • Jersey: That being said, the fonts used look great today, but are definitely of this era and I don't see it lasting 10 years.  Of course, in this era, it doesn't have to last 10 years, so maybe this is no longer a valid way to criticize uniforms.  They're not going for 'timeless' or 'classic', so maybe it's time (for me) to stop with that.
  • Shorts: Did they really omit yellow and red from the shorts?  Seriously?  Oh, that's bad.  It's so easy to tastefully include all the colors.  Please let me know if it's there and maybe I'm just not looking at the right photos.

Road:

• Jersey: WHERE'S THE RED???  Part of me likes that they omitted it, because that's what could make it drab, but there should have been some way to include it.  I hate that the road, which should really be more/less an inverted home, doesn't have all the colors. 
  • Jersey: an easy way to incorporate red would be the outer trim of the collar/shoulder, where the yellow is on the home uniform.  In fact, that's so obvious, I actually want to punch whoever didn't see that.
  • Jersey:  If red wasn't a problem, it's actually pretty good.  I love how the single-color yellow looks against the blue, ditto with the white.  I generally don't like mismatched colors between wordmark and number, but when it works, it really works - and it really works here.  Well done.
  • Shorts: same critique as the homes.  No yellow?  Inexcusable.

Alt:

• Jersey: LOVE THE COLORS.  Jesus motherbanging Christ - dark-royal, crimson, yellow, and white look soooooo good together.  I got harder than a diamond just looking at the colors.  However...
  • Jersey: I HATE HATE HATE "Mile High City".  This isn't so much directed at the Nuggets - I hate these nickname uniforms in all cases.  Literally all.  A simple recolor of the primary uniforms would have made these nearly perfect.  The colors are just so good.
  • Jersey:  I'm not a fan of plain shoulders.  It seemed like a trend that's a decade past, and in this particular instance, makes it look kinda like a practice jersey.  Not the worst thing in the world and I wouldn't dock it more than a point if I was rating this 1-10, but it could have been done better.
  • Shorts: since there's no trim on the jersey, I'm OK with no stripes and a plainish design for the shorts.  Again, not how I would have done it, but since they made that choice on the jersey, I have to be OK with it on the shorts.

Logos:

• WITH ONE EXCEPTION, the logos seem well rendered, use the colors well, and do what they're supposed to do.  Nice job there.
  • The skyline logo is ATROCIOUS.  Downright ATROCIOUS.  
    • angled mountains contrast harshly with rounded building outlines
    • the stroke of the mountains and the stroke of the buildings creates awkward overlaps
    • conceptually I like the ball in the background - kinda looks like a sun - but again, round ball, sharp mountains, square and round buildings, just creates a mess.
    • Since the buildings have shading, and the mountain is plain and symmetrical, it almost looks like it was an afterthought.  Honestly I'd rather both be plain and without shading, but they just contrast too much.
    • Every element of the logo contrasts awkwardly with every other element.  2-10.

Overall, really nice job with this.  I'm a fan of the powder-yellow set and thought that they could own that forever, but if they decided to change, then this was a good way to do it.  Horrible skyline logo aside, this is a strong set, possible best reboot since the Sixers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Overall the new uniforms aren't as bad as I was expecting, given that I hate the color combination - at least how they used it the first time around.  They did a much better job avoiding a "drab" unfiorm this time.

Feedback (I'm calling them home, road, alt, because Nike's marketing team can eat a bag of dicks.)

Home:

• Jersey: Jersey is pretty good - The colors are pretty much evenly used, it's not drab at all despite darker versions of blue and red, it's simple without being *sigh* "minimalist".  Well done. 
  • Jersey: That being said, the fonts used look great today, but are definitely of this era and I don't see it lasting 10 years.  Of course, in this era, it doesn't have to last 10 years, so maybe this is no longer a valid way to criticize uniforms.  They're not going for 'timeless' or 'classic', so maybe it's time (for me) to stop with that.
  • Shorts: Did they really omit yellow and red from the shorts?  Seriously?  Oh, that's bad.  It's so easy to tastefully include all the colors.  Please let me know if it's there and maybe I'm just not looking at the right photos.

Road:

• Jersey: WHERE'S THE RED???  Part of me likes that they omitted it, because that's what could make it drab, but there should have been some way to include it.  I hate that the road, which should really be more/less an inverted home, doesn't have all the colors. 
  • Jersey: an easy way to incorporate red would be the outer trim of the collar/shoulder, where the yellow is on the home uniform.  In fact, that's so obvious, I actually want to punch whoever didn't see that.
  • Jersey:  If red wasn't a problem, it's actually pretty good.  I love how the single-color yellow looks against the blue, ditto with the white.  I generally don't like mismatched colors between wordmark and number, but when it works, it really works - and it really works here.  Well done.
  • Shorts: same critique as the homes.  No yellow?  Inexcusable.

Alt:

• Jersey: LOVE THE COLORS.  Jesus motherbanging Christ - dark-royal, crimson, yellow, and white look soooooo good together.  I got harder than a diamond just looking at the colors.  However...
  • Jersey: I HATE HATE HATE "Mile High City".  This isn't so much directed at the Nuggets - I hate these nickname uniforms in all cases.  Literally all.  A simple recolor of the primary uniforms would have made these nearly perfect.  The colors are just so good.
  • Jersey:  I'm not a fan of plain shoulders.  It seemed like a trend that's a decade past, and in this particular instance, makes it look kinda like a practice jersey.  Not the worst thing in the world and I wouldn't dock it more than a point if I was rating this 1-10, but it could have been done better.
  • Shorts: since there's no trim on the jersey, I'm OK with no stripes and a plainish design for the shorts.  Again, not how I would have done it, but since they made that choice on the jersey, I have to be OK with it on the shorts.

Logos:

• WITH ONE EXCEPTION, the logos seem well rendered, use the colors well, and do what they're supposed to do.  Nice job there.
  • The skyline logo is ATROCIOUS.  Downright ATROCIOUS.  
    • angled mountains contrast harshly with rounded building outlines
    • the stroke of the mountains and the stroke of the buildings creates awkward overlaps
    • conceptually I like the ball in the background - kinda looks like a sun - but again, round ball, sharp mountains, square and round buildings, just creates a mess.
    • Since the buildings have shading, and the mountain is plain and symmetrical, it almost looks like it was an afterthought.  Honestly I'd rather both be plain and without shading, but they just contrast too much.
    • Every element of the logo contrasts awkwardly with every other element.  2-10.

Overall, really nice job with this.  I'm a fan of the powder-yellow set and thought that they could own that forever, but if they decided to change, then this was a good way to do it.  Horrible skyline logo aside, this is a strong set, possible best reboot since the Sixers.

Red is used the same way on the road jersey as gold is on the home. There’s red trim on the DENVER lettering, around the numbers, and on the outer edge of the arm and neck trim.

562216881_1140x641.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, Discogod said:

I feel like I need to point out that the rainbow skyline uniforms weren't introduced until the 1982-83 season, NOT 1981-82.

Sorry for being so pedantic, but having spent 25+ years researching NBA unis it's important to me that we get stuff like that correct. God knows there's already enough incorrect info out there, a lot of it propagated by the NBA themselves.

In two very different colors too. Interesting the Nuggets predate two terrible trends - navy so dark it's black, and awful crest above a jersey number.

I'd love to see an oral history of the skyline logo and unis.

I love.the new color set and logos, not sure on the uni execution, esp on the whites; not sure.about the white trim on the Navy.  But this color set really makes me think Nuggets in away the others haven't; it ties the eras together as well as can be done.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Red is used the same way on the road jersey as gold is on the home. There’s red trim on the DENVER lettering, around the numbers, and on the outer edge of the arm and neck trim.

562216881_1140x641.png

Thanks - I couldn't see it in the photos that I saw... but maybe that's a problem.I do see that it's on the white trim, but not nearly enough to make an impact.

Since from any distance it disappears against the navy, I would really have increased its use against the white.

Also - this is the first I've seen of the angle on the top right of the D and R.  That's not good at all.  From the close-up, the D hardly looks like a D.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

To compare them to the likes of the Padres and Canucks, who've used every color in the damn rainbow, is a sin.

The Nuggets used every color in the rainbow when they used a rainbow.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Nuggets used every color in the rainbow when they used a rainbow.

giphy.gif

6uXNWAo.png

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Thanks - I couldn't see it in the photos that I saw... but maybe that's a problem.I do see that it's on the white trim, but not nearly enough to make an impact.

Since from any distance it disappears against the navy, I would really have increased its use against the white.

Also - this is the first I've seen of the angle on the top right of the D and R.  That's not good at all.  From the close-up, the D hardly looks like a D.  

I think the trim needs to be a little heavier, and I agree on the type details. I think that spike can add something, but I think it should go where you might naturally have a block serif; on a C, a G, an S, etc. I can’t figure out the upper left serifs, either. I think the D would be a good place for one, and I also think it would have been a good place to bring in the angle like you see on the center bar of the E, as it would reinforce the pick axe/railroad hammer theme.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived