MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

:censored:, when can I buy a Brooklyn hat like that.

One thing (okay, a few things) I may like to see: remember when you did that thing with the Los Angeles script and made it closer to Dodgers script? I was thinking, just clean up the Brooklyn a little more, and I think you're all set. I love the Robins throwback, but after looking everywhere on the first page of google, I couldn't find any pattern on the uniform. I know that was probably a stylistic choice or maybe I'm just stupid, but I think the look might look better without it. Also absolute genius on the helmet with the fake seams, just gorgeous. Can't wait to keep ripping you off!

• Like 1

I am quite positive that's how the Dodgers would look now.  But what about when they first moved into the dome?  That would have been a huge deal since it would pre-date the Astrodome.  I could see them refreshing their logo based on it, especially since the dome had some pretty distinctive design features.

bkdome.JPG

3060973-SZHPTRJH-7.jpg

Also, what about making the throwback uniform a "space age" design from the 60s or 70s that they likely would have adopted to go with their new home?  I don't see anything quite as radical as the tequila sunrise Astros for the Dodgers.  But I do think they might have done something to establish themselves as NYC's "modern" club.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 1:19 AM, Htown1141 said:

:censored:, when can I buy a Brooklyn hat like that.

One thing (okay, a few things) I may like to see: remember when you did that thing with the Los Angeles script and made it closer to Dodgers script? I was thinking, just clean up the Brooklyn a little more, and I think you're all set. I love the Robins throwback, but after looking everywhere on the first page of google, I couldn't find any pattern on the uniform. I know that was probably a stylistic choice or maybe I'm just stupid, but I think the look might look better without it. Also absolute genius on the helmet with the fake seams, just gorgeous. Can't wait to keep ripping you off!

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by making the "Los Angeles" script look more like the "Dodgers" script (I left it untouched), but I'm more than happy to adjust the "Brooklyn" script to look a little cleaner. The pattern is my generic faux-flannel, which I use on any gray throwback to the flannel era (like creme replacing white). I'm looking forward to seeing you go hardcore vintage with that pattern (note: clipping masks for that thing are an absolute pain)!

On 7/6/2018 at 9:04 AM, coco1997 said:

Beautiful work! The "Brooklyn" script and the alternates are all superb. 

Really excited to see the Canaries! 

On 7/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Great job cleaning up the old Brookyln script. Making one that flows well seems like an easy task but its a lot harder than it looks. 

Thanks, guys! Making that script was one of my favorite parts of the concept.

23 hours ago, CaptainKirkMN said:

This is a bit late, but I wanted to say that the Twin Cities Giants concept is awesome.  The double Bunyan is an awesome Giants version of Minny and Paul.

Thanks! My original plan was to "hack" Minne and Paul to turn them into lumberjacks (complete with reproportioning their bodies). It didn't look very good:

8Si8Jrq.png

My dissatisfaction led me to the new Bunyan design.

23 hours ago, NicDB said:

I am quite positive that's how the Dodgers would look now.  But what about when they first moved into the dome?  That would have been a huge deal since it would pre-date the Astrodome.  I could see them refreshing their logo based on it, especially since the dome had some pretty distinctive design features.

bkdome.JPG

3060973-SZHPTRJH-7.jpg

Also, what about making the throwback uniform a "space age" design from the 60s or 70s that they likely would have adopted to go with their new home?  I don't see anything quite as radical as the tequila sunrise Astros for the Dodgers.  But I do think they might have done something to establish themselves as NYC's "modern" club.

Thanks. You know, that's an interesting challenge! How could one modernize the Dodgers in a way that fit with the new stadium, without necessarily betraying their brand? Well, I've got an idea! 

Ujn4mkq.png

The logos use the (slightly-modified) Final Frontier font for that 1960s space age touch. I made sure to tilt the wordmarks and add underlines, to "modernize" the scripts. The primary features the Flatbush Dome.

The uniforms use an un-striped template (much like the 1965-70 Astros), while continuing the use of Block Standard numbers (no need for a display number font at this time).

Bpl3BUF.png

I figured that this identity would have only lasted a year before popular demand forced the team to switch back to their classic look, much like the 1956 Cardinals or 1960 Tigers. Of course, this redesign would have lasting consequences, such as the permanent removal of striping from the road uniform. the reintroduction of a "Brooklyn" script, and the addition of red front numbers to the grays (like how the Cardinals dropped striping and adopted cursive wordmarks following 1956).

I also reasoned that O'Malley would have been talked down from his domed proposal, instead building a Shea/Dodger Stadium-like structure on the site. That would have kept the identity intact (much like Dodger Stadium did in our timeline).

The Canaries should be up soon!

• Like 24

Wow, thanks for taking my suggestion even though it goes against the direction you think they would have went in.  I could totally see that logo on the outfield wall like a lot of teams did during that era.

• Like 1

Before we get to the Canaries, I figured I should do an update on my "Brooklyn" script to get it to better match the "Dodgers" mark. Here it is:

kWGkLiO.png

I'd like to give a huge shoutout to @Htown1141 for his assistance in nailing this one. 

Here it is on the full set (I also attended to some logo sheet errors):

Logo Sheet:

xyC8FlM.png

Home and Road:

5ifPbeL.png

Alternates:

XouGOw6.png

Dugout Jackets:

fVUHXmG.png VyqdHvP.png

C+C is appreciated, as always!

• Like 8

BROOKLYN CANARIES, PT. II - Birdcage Blues

Let's head back to the early 1930s for this one, when Brooklyn's National League club lost long-time manager Wilmer Robinson left after leading the team for eighteen years. His presence inspired the "Robins" nickname for the team, which news outlets would use alongside names like "Superbas" and "Dodgers." The team went all-in on the "Robins" branding by the end of his tenure, as the 1931 uniforms used "Robin's Egg Blue" throughout the design. With Robinson gone, the team had to do the 1930s equivalent of a rebranding. Todd Radom described this transformation in an article on his blog, highlighting that manager Max Carey's hire turned the name "Canaries" into a front-runner.1 While the team opted to codify the "Dodgers" nickname in 1932, what if they went ahead with Canaries?

I figured that the team would have adopted cursive scripts with tails in 1938 (much like in our universe), while adding yellow to go alongside the traditional blue (akin to the coloring of a canary). The primary logo is a blend of Tottenham Hotspur's crest and the vintage Cardinals scripts, with the classic "B" at the center of a baseball. The tertiary combines the canary graphic with the founding dates, crossed bats (similar to the ones in my Pirates primary logo), and the cap insignia.

VNh8mly.png

The home and road uniforms use the 1940s-'50s road uniform template on both home and road sets. I thought it'd be a good way to mix up the look. There are now two yellow stripes to the socks, for more of a "dual stripe" presence in the uniform. The front numbers are still contrast-colored, as it's a trait I rather like for the squad.

ga2Zz2J.png

The alternates include a powder blue set meant to hybrid the satin road uniforms and the 1971 Los Angeles Dodgers' road set. I put the tertiary on the sleeve. The other one is a Robins throwback to 1931, to homage the pre-Canaries look.

Kk3utRN.png

The dugout jackets are pretty similar to my Dodgers jackets, albeit with yellow replacing white throughout the design.

b86pe7q.png iyW40xh.png

While the "Dodgers" brand is one of the most famed in all of Big Four sports, I'd like to think that Canaries wouldn't have been too shabby either. At the very least, it translates better to Los Angeles than "Dodgers." In fact, let's see it!

EWwquJc.png

7havPZa.png

940EVw4.png

VzGm6yd.png rv9GzY2.png

Thanks @Topherlee2 for pointing out the error. C+C is appreciated, as always!

giphy.gif

Up next, the Senat(ionals)ors!

1Todd Radom, “Why the Los Angeles Dodgers Were Not the Brooklyn Canaries,” Todd Radom Design, accessed July 8, 2018, https://www.toddradom.com/blog/why-the-los-angeles-dodgers-were-not-the-brooklyn-canaries.

Edited by SFGiants58
Added .gif and citation, while fixing image error
  • Like 16

That alternate Dodgers concept looks great! I could honestly see it lasting until the present day as opposed to lasting only one year.

The Canaries look nice! My only overall criticism would be that they look very similar to your Philadelphia A’s. I’d like to maybe see a set that is more plain like the Dodgers, that uses more of a lighter yellow like your Phillies alternate take.

Looking forward to Washington!

• Like 1

I've been quietly following the series, and your work (as always) is so detailed and impressive.  That Brewers concept is one of (if not the) best real-team concepts I've seen on this forum, and I'd like to see how that Giants-style TC would look for the Twins.  I do have a quibble with how the Minnesota state outline works in the Giants logo, though.  If you look at a map of Minnesota, you will see the border in the southwest part of the state makes a right angle.  The reason it looks squiggly in the Paul and Minnie logo is to accommodate the shape of Minnie (which has always been a pet peeve of mine).  With the absence of Minnie, that squiggle can be straightened out, a minuscule detail that can make your already great series even better.