SFGiants58

MLB: The Defunct Saga - Tampa Bay Cannons (former Rangers) and Tarpons/Twins Variants Added

I’ve been going through this, and oh my, it’s amazing. The Milwaukee White Sox, 90’s Nationals, and Indy Arrows have to be the peak of this thread. 

I’ve always felt like Indianapolis (biased) has always been a good candidate for relocation/expansion, but then you realize that is lodged between Chicago and Cincinnati. Can’t do anything about that.

I’ve felt like an Indiana White Sox concept would be nice to see, or maybe A’s. If there is one thing that I have learned, you can put Athletics in front of a location name and you can make some visually appealing concepts. 

Keep up the good work dude!

12 minutes ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

I’ve felt like an Indiana White Sox concept would be nice to see, or maybe A’s.

Ah yes, that old White Sox to Indianapolis rumor that’s persisted for years. I don’t think there’s ever been any validity to it, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down another White Sox relocation concept from @SFGiants58😉

Wow, this is a lot to take in! I think you made the right call going with “Tarpons,” although “Twins” could translate well, you’re right that it seems too closely associated with Minnesota, especially in the navy/red scheme.

The red/orange variants are very nice as well, the orange pinstripes work wonderfully to truly give the “creamsicle” effect, I didn’t even realize the base color was white until I zoomed in. Maybe this idea is influenced the throwback Bucs a bit much, but it could be a nice look to have a white-crown cap paired with the orange alt. Well done!

TAMPA BAY CANNONS (former Texas Rangers) - Yeahmanthat'sFortBrookedangumSlateandScarlet, tellyawhat!

Tampa Bay Sweepstakes Intro

The next franchise in the lineup was the Texas Rangers. By 1988, the problems inherent in the glorified minor-league venue Turnpike/Arlington Stadium had become all too apparent. It's rinky-dink, built-on-speculation (and poorly expanded upon) construction provided little-to-no shade in the hot & humid Texas summers. The history of crummy ownership and poor play did not help matters (UrinatingTree provides the details here). Majority owner Eddie Chiles had fallen on hard times and ill health (Frank Morsani recalls being told that Chiles had Alzheimer's in Stadium for Rent and To Be Frank), which prompted him to sell the club. Morsani and the TBBG saw the perfect opportunity to get that team for the Tampa stadium.1

The TBBG (namely, Morsani and Bill Mack) hashed out a contract to buy Chiles' stake for $85 million, one which looked promising. Once again, the deal fell through due to complications from minority owners. Ed Gaylord, who owned 33% of the team, triggered his option to take a majority stake. While the other baseball owners (especially Jerry Reinsdorf) rejected it (due to Gaylord owning superstation KTVT), it scuttled Morsani & co.'s deal. The deal probably would have been rejected anyway, since Dallas/Ft. Worth is too valuable a market to lose, even though Morsani hinted at spurring on an expansion team to replace the Rangers.2

Meanwhile, AL President Bobby Brown (originally from Texas) and exiting Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth helped to assemble a new ownership group headed by George W. Bush, Rusty Rose and Richard Rainwater. Said group swept in and bought the team for $79.3 million, leaving Morsani out in the cold again and further up financial fecal creek (having spent $500,000 on attorneys for the sale). This would spell the end of the Al Lopez Field site project.3 The Rangers would get a taxpayer-funded stadium to replace the glorified bowl of bleachers. but that's a rant for another day.

TL;DR: Rusty Shackleford as Frank Morsani, Puff-Puff as Ed Gaylor, and the falling cigarettes as the Bush/Rose/Rainwater ownership group.4

FeB8Tm8.gif

However, what if either deal went through, and the Rangers moved to Tampa? How would their identity adapt to the Gulf Coast?

Unlike "Twins" (which kind of works), "Rangers" really doesn't sound right in Tampa Bay. I wanted a name that kept with similar themes to the Rangers' identity, so I looked to the Rays' 2008 rebrand ideas for inspiration (citation in link). The name "Cannons" stood out, as it fit with the history of the region. The Tampa Bay area's growth started around the US Army outpost Fort Brooke, where it served as a valuable outpost in the Seminole Wars and the Civil War (for the Confederates - hey, the actual Texas Rangers have done questionable stuff as well). Heck, cannons from the fort remain on the University of Tampa campus:

Ft._Brooke_Cannon.jpg

It seemed like a local identity that would keep the ethos of the Rangers' moniker intact.5

I imported the slate blue from the Project 32 Rangers concept, alongside scarlet and gold. I carried over the Caniste Semibold from my Florida White Sox concept as the central font. The primary features a baseball roundel with the insignia in front of a diamond and crossed cannons. The insignia is the secondary, while a roundel with the crossed cannons is the tertiary.

6tYFhAJ.png

The home and road set go for a slate/scarlet co-dominant look (a la the 1972-82 Rangers), while also featuring red-billed caps (like the 1972-85 headwear). Thick sleeve and pants trim appears here, so that the set uses the whole color scheme. The socks use a similar pattern. Caniste numbers also appear here, as a display font felt more appropriate for an expansion team (rather than an Original 16 club like the White Sox) and the more modern arching style. The NOB's are one-color, for legibility. I also put the primary on the sleeves.

floXcme.png

The alternates include both scarlet and slate blue jerseys, with the blue shirt using the tertiary as a patch and the "Tampa Bay" wordmark (road wordmarks at home being a Rangers-esque touch).

v83f84S.png 

The second set of alternates features a red-crowned cap, along with matching belts, undershirts, and socks. I didn't want to pair them with the red jersey, for fear of it being too much red. The fauxback is my attempt to produce a 1963-67 Washington Senators-style jersey, albeit with the Cannons' name and color scheme. The cap logo comes from the Tarpons/Twins, with a few adjustments to bring it closer to the original Curly W. I re-used the font from my Sens MK II concept, for that extra touch of accuracy.

2zgeGkG.png

The jacket continues the co-dominant color scheme theme, with red sleeves and gold shoulder trim.

AYS5ylP.png

While the Rangers' name really wouldn't work in Tampa Bay, one could keep the spirit of it intact for the new locale. It also allows me to continue my theme of "what the Rays should have done in 1998 or 2008," building an identity with a more local flare. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, Morsani makes a final stand with TWO proposals for 1993 NL expansion teams. Here's a hint: one has a NHL name and the other has a MLS/NASL moniker.

1 Andrew Clem, “Clem’s Baseball ~ Arlington Stadium,” Clem’s Baseball, December 1, 2018, http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/ArlingtonStadium.html; Bob Andelman and Lori Parsells, Stadium For Rent: Tampa Bay’s Quest for Major League Baseball, 2nd edition (St. Petersburg, FL: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015), 55-57; Frank Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank: Building the American Dream in Business and Life (Tampa, FL: BlackWood Books, 2015), 130-35.

2 Andelman and Parsells, Stadium For Rent, 58-59; Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank, 133-36.
3 Clem, “Clem’s Baseball ~ Arlington Stadium,” Morsani and Dave Scheiber, To Be Frank, 131-136.

4 Author's note: King of the Hill never really specified whether or not Arlen was Rangers or Astros territory. I'd guess Rangers, if only because of Hank's derision at Boomhauer being a Texans fan.
5 Jonah Keri, “Chapter 7: The Exorcism,” in The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First (Bristol, CT: ESPN Books, 2011), 134; 

“The Establishment of Fort Brooke — FlaHQ 31:273‑278 (1953),” University of Chicago, accessed December 11, 2018, http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/America/United_States/Florida/_Texts/FlaHQ/31/The_Establishment_of_Fort_Brooke*.html; “Ft. Brooke Cannon - History of Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia,” accessed December 11, 2018, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tampa,_Florida#/media/File:Ft._Brooke_Cannon.jpg; “Fort Brooke - FortWiki Historic U.S. and Canadian Forts,” accessed December 10, 2018, http://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_Brooke. 

I gotta say, I really like the logos & wordmarks made for the Cannons, but I also prefer the red heavy set of the alternate over the slate blue kit for a Tampa Bay team. What would red undershirts look like on the road and with the red & blue alternates, respectively? I feel like this is kinda like the Indians current look, where the jersey could pop really well with either blue or red undershirts, I just have a feeling the red would look better. Either way, this set is definitely a winner. 

The twins, new tarpons and cannons, have been some of the best concepts you’ve made in this series yet. And I much prefer the red and orange for tarpons. Also the font works much better for the cannons than Sox, gives off a circus-y vibe like circus cannons. The blue jersey is my favorite of the bunch!

On 12/11/2018 at 3:38 AM, SFGiants58 said:

TAMPA BAY CANNONS (former Texas Rangers) - Yeahmanthat'sFortBrookedangumSlateandScarlet, tellyawhat!

Tampa Bay Sweepstakes Intro

The next franchise in the lineup was the Texas Rangers. By 1988, the problems inherent in the glorified minor-league venue Turnpike/Arlington Stadium had become all too apparent. It's rinky-dink, built-on-speculation (and poorly expanded upon) construction provided little-to-no shade in the hot & humid Texas summers. The history of crummy ownership and poor play did not help matters (UrinatingTree provides the details here). Majority owner Eddie Chiles had fallen on hard times and ill health (Frank Morsani recalls being told that Chiles had Alzheimer's in Stadium for Rent and To Be Frank), which prompted him to sell the club. Morsani and the TBBG saw the perfect opportunity to get that team for the Tampa stadium.1

The TBBG (namely, Morsani and Bill Mack) hashed out a contract to buy Chiles' stake for $85 million, one which looked promising. Once again, the deal fell through due to complications from minority owners. Ed Gaylord, who owned 33% of the team, triggered his option to take a majority stake. While the other baseball owners (especially Jerry Reinsdorf) rejected it (due to Gaylord owning superstation KTVT), it scuttled Morsani & co.'s deal. The deal probably would have been rejected anyway, since Dallas/Ft. Worth is too valuable a market to lose, even though Morsani hinted at spurring on an expansion team to replace the Rangers.2

Meanwhile, AL President Bobby Brown (originally from Texas) and exiting Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth helped to assemble a new ownership group headed by George W. Bush, Rusty Rose and Richard Rainwater. Said group swept in and bought the team for $79.3 million, leaving Morsani out in the cold again and further up financial fecal creek (having spent $500,000 on attorneys for the sale). This would spell the end of the Al Lopez Field site project.3 The Rangers would get a taxpayer-funded stadium to replace the glorified bowl of bleachers. but that's a rant for another day.

However, what if either deal went through, and the Rangers moved to Tampa? How would their identity adapt to the Gulf Coast?

"You get a new savior as owner; George W. Bush. Dubya! That's a heck of a lot better than moving to Tampa Bay."

Also, this Morsani guy is totally trying to give Crazy Charlie O. and his constant identity crisis a run for his money.

Oh that script is phonomenal, really well done concept!

Also I want to be mad that you stole my Tam and Pete logo idea that I never finished but I think I'm gonna just have to deal😅

I just happen to find this thread in the middle of the Sweepstakes...... pain is an understatement. They still look awesome!

It’s probably the colors more than anything, but this brings back memories of the old Calgary Cannons. I was lucky to grow up in Alberta in the 90s when they had some serious top class AAA action going on up there. Those were glory years for baseball in Canada. Nice work as always!