MLB: The Defunct Saga - Bibliography Added

SFGiants58

16 hours ago, vtgco said:

As for NOLA... ?

Wow! That striping for the socks and sleeves is really breathtaking! The logos are really great too! All the colors' shades are just right!

I like the uniforms a lot, but there's some slight color-balancing oddity. On each alternate uniform, one color feels out-of-place.

On the yellow alt, it's the white panel of the cap; I'd do a green and yellow cap instead.

On the green and purple alts, the white numbers outlines could be replaced with yellow.

Maybe for the green, purple could be reduced to an accent.

Finally, just a suggestion, the purple alt could use a green, purple, and yellow pinwheel cap with the NO logo!

The Pelicans throwback is perfect, no complaint there.

Despite my nitpicking, this is phenomenal work! This is some of your best yet!

I agree with everything said here. It looks great as-is, but it would also be interesting if you tried maybe going with kelly green and a darker purple, just to see what it looks like.

• Like 1

The Athletics and their constant identity crisis would make a great horror movie. Like Se7en, if it was about a baseball team owned by a man who's so eccentric, Charlie O. would totally be played by Jeff Goldblum.

"Uh...if I had to say...the Athletics just simply...uh...cannot work in Oakland. If you don't mind...it's time to listen to the voices in my head."

"Yes yes, I WILL move the Athletics to New Orleans! Oh, Charlie, you are devilishly handsome, and ingenious..."

• Like 4

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Wow! NOLA looks great, but I have one thing: I'm not completely sold on the green caps with purple bills. The purple/green looks marvelous, but I just don't like how the two darks interact. Other than that, great work! Phoenix especially might be your best one yet. Keep it up!

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys! Sorry about taking another extended sabbatical, but I'm back!

On 10/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, appleclock said:

“The Superdome in its baseball configuration” would have been a sad, sad day for baseball. Thank god.

Yes, it would have been. There are sections of the upper deck where you couldn't see home plate!

Rv1uxql.jpg

There's also a video of what baseball would have looked like there, which just looks depressing. 

Spoiler

I'm glad the post-Katrina renovation ripped out the baseball configuration.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, vtgco said:

For Phoenix, I don't think an Arizona version is necessary. Phoenix works just fine.

For Seattle, I stand by the Navy & Kelly batterman.

For Denver, I just think all-caps blackletter doesn't work very well; it's not to do with the spacing or arches. 

As for NOLA... ?

Wow! That striping for the socks and sleeves is really breathtaking! The logos are really great too! All the colors' shades are just right!

I like the uniforms a lot, but there's some slight color-balancing oddity. On each alternate uniform, one color feels out-of-place.

On the yellow alt, it's the white panel of the cap; I'd do a green and yellow cap instead.

On the green and purple alts, the white numbers outlines could be replaced with yellow.

Maybe for the green, purple could be reduced to an accent.

Finally, just a suggestion, the purple alt could use a green, purple, and yellow pinwheel cap with the NO logo!

The Pelicans throwback is perfect, no complaint there.

Despite my nitpicking, this is phenomenal work! This is some of your best yet!

Thanks! I get where you're coming from with the all-caps blackletter, but its got precedence (1968 Oakland A's) and I like it. 

I've attempted to work on some color balancing for the dark green/purple, with a few tweaks to improve each design. While this might not be what you had in mind, I rather like it!

0cDR21p.png vK5D84m.png 0

Nvq6AlD.png

The harlequin design, with contrast-colored plackets and sleeves, is a fantastic design! The gold-front panel cap on the gold top works as well.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm curious. Have you considered reworking the elephant logo into a woolly mammoth for a city like Minneapolis or Kansas City?

Funny you should say that. I'm thinking of redoing the LA A's with a woolly mammoth replacing the elephant. The La Brea Tar Pits are my reasoning behind that one.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, coco1997 said:

QsMp.gif

'Nuff said.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:45 AM, Ted Cunningham said:

That jacket is marvelous.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, itsmb8 said:

If Miami were to ever hand over the New Orleans Triple-A franchise to Oakland, this set would be PERFECT!  Or, if Oakland were to even relocate to New Orleans!  At the very least a top-5 concept of yours here, unique and fantastic execution! 

Thanks, guys!

On 10/25/2018 at 3:46 PM, MJD7 said:

I agree with everything said here. It looks great as-is, but it would also be interesting if you tried maybe going with kelly green and a darker purple, just to see what it looks like.

Thanks! You're right, kelly green with the current purple looks fantastic as well.

H9RA1Tf.png Gl7qxrP.png

uPpQxTp.png GnvOmd9.png

2WrblOZ.png

The same goes for the harlequin design.

ZpLi1Wh.png fgl2nwO.png

2uDywjZ.png

On 10/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Athletics and their constant identity crisis would make a great horror movie. Like Se7en, if it was about a baseball team owned by a man who's so eccentric, Charlie O. would totally be played by Jeff Goldblum.

"Uh...if I had to say...the Athletics just simply...uh...cannot work in Oakland. If you don't mind...it's time to listen to the voices in my head."

"Yes yes, I WILL move the Athletics to New Orleans! Oh, Charlie, you are devilishly handsome, and ingenious..."

At this point, Charlie was trying to pawn the team off on somebody else, looking outside of the Bay Area for any buyer. It's like Adam West's Batman trying to throw the bomb away, only to find a bunch of obstacles.

kTyvfm8.gif

On 10/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Wow! NOLA looks great, but I have one thing: I'm not completely sold on the green caps with purple bills. The purple/green looks marvelous, but I just don't like how the two darks interact. Other than that, great work! Phoenix especially might be your best one yet. Keep it up!

Thanks!

On 10/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, Topherlee2 said:

Love the New Orleans Athletics! It's kinda like what a MLB team in New Orleans would look like, regardless if it's the Athletics or not. Can't wait to see what comes next!

Thank you! Well, another one is coming up later today.

• Like 5

NEW ORLEANS PIRATES - Bourbon Street Buccos

With the construction of PNC Park and the constant praise of it as the best stadium in the majors (I haven’t been, but I don’t dispute it), it seems bizarre that the team was on the brink of moving several times in the 1980s. Of course, when you look at the combination of ownership turmoil and Three Rivers Stadium’s shoddiness, it does make sense. Let's let Captain Jack Sparrow sum it up:

ConventionalSereneCod-size_restricted.gi

This first relocation attempt appeared in 1981, when team president Dan Galbreath met with Superdome officials to discuss moving there if the lease didn’t improve in the latest negotiation (the Three Rivers Stadium lease, signed in 1971, was due to expire that year).1 The Pirates got a better lease in Pittsburgh, so the deal fell through. Their blackmail had worked. However, what if Pittsburgh called the team’s bluff and the Pirates moved to New Orleans? What if the team managed to downgrade from Three Rivers Stadium, eventually finding their way to a taxpayer-funded baseball-only park (ugh)? 

I figured the brand wouldn’t change all that much, given that the Pirates are a legacy team and that pirates conducted business at the Port of New Orleans in the 18th-19th centuries (see Jean Lafitte).2 The colors also wouldn’t change, as they’d be a non-metallic version of the Saints. 

The primary logo is an adaptation of the nearly-departed New Orleans AAA club’s alternate, with the jolly roger from my Project 32 concept. The new “NO” cap logo appears on the crest, as well as baseballs and three fleur-de-lis (a la the New Orleans flag). The secondary is the cap logo, while the tertiary is a wrought-iron roundel. (Original image here, thanks @coco1997 for the suggestion to adjust the "New Orleans" wordmark  - Comparison here)

kBEGro7.png

The uniforms have the same sconce pattern seen on the New Orleans A’s (sleeves and socks), albeit with two colors instead of three. The lettering is the same style as the current Pirates, albeit with the team-specific font for NoB’s. I figured it’d set them apart here, while still being legible. Collar and pants stripes are black/yellow-gold/black, to tie into the sleeves. (Original image in the link.)

IrlvgX0.png

The first set of alternates includes a yellow-gold jersey, with a gold-billed cap and the early-1970s dugout jacket script. Thank you, @Paul Lucas for turning me onto it. The black alt uses the tertiary on the sleeve and one-color lettering. 

ubWReGV.png

The second group of special event uniforms include a Roberto Clemente set that mimics the 1960 World Series uniforms, with the 1973 memorial patch above the wordmark. The Pelicans uniform from the A’s concept returns, marking one of the few times a team has thrown back to their own minor league affiliate (especially the oft-forgotten Southern Association). 

fv3S8wa.png

The jackets carry over different elements from my Pirates and New Orleans A’s concepts, including the entirety of the Pelicans jacket.

OuaydmM.png LRSm84W.png

The Pirates identity adapts well to New Orleans, with a bit of local flavor that enhances the look. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, it’s up to the mountains.

1UPI, “Pirates Considering New Orleans Move,” Ellensburg Daily Record, April 24, 1981, https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=EwEyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Ko8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4526%2C2263727
2Joseph Geringer, “Jean Lafitte: Gentleman Pirate of New Orleans,” Crime Library, June 2, 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20020602164142/http://crimelibrary.com/americana/lafitte/main.htm.

Edited by SFGiants58
Tweaked the road wordmark.
  • Like 11

• SFGiants58 changed the title to MLB: The Defunct Saga - New Orleans Pirates Added

Wow, I had no idea the Pirates to NOLA was ever a possibility. 

Everything is great, with just one suggestion. The “New Orleans” road script looks a little unbalanced. How about just using the “NO” monogram instead?

Keep up the great work! Denver Rockies next?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've attempted to work on some color balancing for the dark green/purple, with a few tweaks to improve each design. While this might not be what you had in mind, I rather like it!

0cDR21p.png vK5D84m.pngNvq6AlD.png

I'm afraid this is a downgrade for me. Your previous set had a perfect blend of subtlety, class, and fun, but I think the new alts are just too messy for my taste, and they don't really address the slight issues I had before.

That said, the new hat for the yellow is cool, though I'd drop the white outline on the NO.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

pirates conducted business at the Port of New Orleans in the 18th-19th centuries (see Jean Lafitte).2 The colors also wouldn’t change, as they’d be a non-metallic version of the Saints. 

Great thinking; this NO Pirates identity works pretty well! I like the connection to the Saints a lot... It makes me wonder if you could blend the Pirates yellow with the Saints desaturated gold for this concept!

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

ubWReGV.png

Really great! This concept works super well as a two-color scheme! Good work!

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Denver Rockies next?

Huh? Is this a relocation?

• Like 1

I love the A’s with kelly green! I think it acts as a much better counter-balance to the purple. The pinwheel cap is an improvement with the yellow front panel, as well. The harlequin-designed jerseys are absolutely fantastic too, my only suggestion would be to replace the white on the front number and NOB with yellow, as the white just stands out a little too much. 

The Pirates look fantastic as well, exactly as a New Orleans version of the team should look. The classic black & yellow is perfect as-is, but it would be cool to maybe see a black & gold version, a la the Saints.

• Like 3

Thanks, guys!

On 11/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, coco1997 said:

Wow, I had no idea the Pirates to NOLA was ever a possibility. 

Everything is great, with just one suggestion. The “New Orleans” road script looks a little unbalanced. How about just using the “NO” monogram instead?

Keep up the great work! Denver Rockies next?

Thanks! I hadn't heard about it before research either. The reason for the imbalance was that I tried to match the capital letters to the "Pirates" wordmark. However, it really doesn't look good. So, I've fixed it up in the original post. I also adjusted the "R" and "E" to match the "Pirates" wordmark.

Gm26r9w.png

On 11/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, neo_prankster said:

Could never imagine Pittsburgh without the Pirates. But still, it's nice that they could keep the name if they actually went to NOLA.

I assume they'd keep the name regardless, if only because full rebrandings upon moving were uncommon at the time.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

What would a vested set with the sconce pattern as the trim look like? I love the designs here, but when I think Pirates, I think vests.... and I feel that blend could look really sharp. Just an idea is all. 

Also, I agree the 1970's jacket script is really nice looking! 

Thanks. I thought about vests, but ultimately decided against it. I figured it was a step too far and that a relocated Pirates team wouldn't have the same appeal towards their vested past.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The wrought-iron roundel, while not being a roundel in the traditional sense; gives the team a unique logo, and I'm a little surprised this is the teams' teritary logo, as opposed to their primary. As all roundel logon now are, apparently...

Thanks. I figured that the roundel would work better as a tertiary, since it leaves out the cap logo and doesn't show up as well on a white background as the primary. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:40 PM, vtgco said:

I'm afraid this is a downgrade for me. Your previous set had a perfect blend of subtlety, class, and fun, but I think the new alts are just too messy for my taste, and they don't really address the slight issues I had before.

That said, the new hat for the yellow is cool, though I'd drop the white outline on the NO.

Great thinking; this NO Pirates identity works pretty well! I like the connection to the Saints a lot... It makes me wonder if you could blend the Pirates yellow with the Saints desaturated gold for this concept!

Really great! This concept works super well as a two-color scheme! Good work!

Huh? Is this a relocation?

Thanks. I can see where you're coming from with the A's. I've fixed it up, per your original suggestion:

RgrKQYW.png QDR2R4C.png

KaYiRe0.png

Look further down for the metallic gold Pirates.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:23 AM, MJD7 said:

I love the A’s with kelly green! I think it acts as a much better counter-balance to the purple. The pinwheel cap is an improvement with the yellow front panel, as well. The harlequin-designed jerseys are absolutely fantastic too, my only suggestion would be to replace the white on the front number and NOB with yellow, as the white just stands out a little too much. 

The Pirates look fantastic as well, exactly as a New Orleans version of the team should look. The classic black & yellow is perfect as-is, but it would be cool to maybe see a black & gold version, a la the Saints.

Thanks! I adjusted the harlequin set to have yellow front numbers/NoB's. It's an improvement.

BUPDxq8.png

Also, the classic Saints' old gold looks fantastic on the New Orleans Pirates:

nkPizg3.png S3PDJ4O.png

MkAuQmT.png P1W4LVm.png

While I like it and find it to be pretty unique in the majors, I like the yellow-gold more.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:56 AM, 1991 said:

I love the New Orleans Pirates set, just perfect!

On 11/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, FloridHardaway said:

Wow nice jackets for New Orleans.

Thanks, guys!

The Denver Pirates will be up later today.

• Like 7

WOW, I love the New Orleans Pirates in Saints colors. Sort of reminds me of the early '70s "mustard" Bucs. 

I think you finally nailed the New Orleans A's in your latest update. Just goes to show how tough it is to balance those three colors, especially when you make the rule that two of them can't touch. 

Looking forward to the Denver Pirates later!

• Like 3