2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

16 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

i couldn't believe it when he was only given a yellow, Taking someone down like that on an open net should be more than a red.

By the laws, the yellow is right, I think, but it exposed a hole in the laws — there should be a difference between denial of a goal-scoring opportunity when the attacker still has the keeper to beat and when he’s already beaten the keeper.

All good, though, glad my guys got through. You almost never win a tournament dominating every time out — sometimes you’ve gotta win with a poor performance. Today was that.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

By the laws, the yellow is right, I think, but it exposed a hole in the laws — there should be a difference between denial of a goal-scoring opportunity when the attacker still has the keeper to beat and when he’s already beaten the keeper.

All good, though, glad my guys got through. You almost never win a tournament dominating every time out — sometimes you’ve gotta win with a poor performance. Today was that.

I think the situation trumps any law that would allow the referee to show leniency like “the defender made a play for the ball.”  Once the keeper was beaten, the defender was (rightfully) going to do everything in his power to not allow the goal.  For the referee to judge the quality of the tackle in a vacuum and let that overshadow the setting and situation of the game was malfescense on his part.

Like you pointed out, there’s a difference between “denial of a goal scoring opportunity” and “denial of an assured goal.” Remember, Luis Suarez’s handball in 2010 against Ghana in the final moments? That is a red card 100% of the time and this should have been same.

Thankfully, it’s a moot point and Croatia rightfully advances.

This World Cup keeps delivering and delivering. You know it’s good when after only 1/4 of a round, everything you expected to happen gets completely turned on its head.

Of the 32 teams in it this year, I was a Spain guy (1/4th Puerto Rican but a lot of that traces back to Castilian Spanish, so I decided to go for them after USA failed to qualify). Even beside my ancestral ties though, I really did think this was Spain’s year when all was said and done (even though I admit again that picking them to beat Croatia was really tough). Obviously though, I gotta go back to the drawing board.

As for what I think after what I’ve seen now? France has A LOT of firepower. When they’re on, they can put up video game numbers. Uruguay has an incredible defense though and that matchup will make for a great game. But I really think France has proven themselves to be potent enough to break through. If they do beat Uruguay, they’ve got to be the favorite.

Croatia got their “bad game” out of the way and if I’m Russia, I’m not expecting the same Croatia that Denmark got. And if I’m the rest of that side of the bracket, I’d be scared because I don’t think anyone else is getting the same Croatia either. Not to discredit Russia’s efforts today at all, but I think Croatia’s really gonna bring it this time.

I’m eager to see what we get out of Brazil, Belgium, and England. Obviously, anything can happen, and one or even two of those could go down this round if Spain can. But we’ll see. I still like Belgium and England to get to the semis.

If you asked me what new favorite finals matchups are right now, I’m torn between France/Croatia and Belgium/Croatia.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This World Cup keeps delivering and delivering. You know it’s good when after only 1/4 of a round, everything you expected to happen gets completely turned on its head.

Of the 32 teams in it this year, I was a Spain guy (1/4th Puerto Rican but a lot of that traces back to Castilian Spanish, so I decided to go for them after USA failed to qualify). Even beside my ancestral ties though, I really did think this was Spain’s year when all was said and done (even though I admit again that picking them to beat Croatia was really tough). Obviously though, I gotta go back to the drawing board.

As for what I think after what I’ve seen now? France has A LOT of firepower. When they’re on, they can put up video game numbers. Uruguay has an incredible defense though and that matchup will make for a great game. But I really think France has proven themselves to be potent enough to break through. If they do beat Uruguay, they’ve got to be the favorite. 

Croatia got their “bad game” out of the way and if I’m Russia, I’m not expecting the same Croatia that Denmark got. And if I’m the rest of that side of the bracket, I’d be scared because I don’t think anyone else is getting the same Croatia either. Not to discredit Russia’s efforts today at all, but I think Croatia’s really gonna bring it this time.

I’m eager to see what we get out of Brazil, Belgium, and England. Obviously, anything can happen, and one or even two of those could go down this round if Spain can. But we’ll see. I still like Belgium and England to get to the semis.

If you asked me what new favorite finals matchups are right now, I’m torn between France/Croatia and Belgium/Croatia.

I have it France & Croatia. Belgium/Croatia would be fun too. Watch it be Brazil waxing Sweden 4-0 and ruining everyone's day. 

Sure, France looked awesome against Argentina, but who hasn't this tournament? I don't know... I just don't think France is well-managed enough to make it all the way to the final. Uruguay is perhaps the best defensive team in the tournament... I think they have a good chance at keeping Mbappe in front of them and muddying the midfield enough to slow down Griezmann. If Cavani were 100% healthy, I would pick them to advance over France... They still have a puncher's chance with Suarez up top.

I think an England/Belgium final is most likely at this point in time, but I think Croatia, Brazil, and Uruguay all have feasible paths as well. 

8 hours ago, GFB said:

Sure, France looked awesome against Argentina, but who hasn't this tournament? I don't know... I just don't think France is well-managed enough to make it all the way to the final. Uruguay is perhaps the best defensive team in the tournament... I think they have a good chance at keeping Mbappe in front of them and muddying the midfield enough to slow down Griezmann. If Cavani were 100% healthy, I would pick them to advance over France... They still have a puncher's chance with Suarez up top.

I think an England/Belgium final is most likely at this point in time, but I think Croatia, Brazil, and Uruguay all have feasible paths as well. 

Why does everyone forget about Colombia? Now if England gets past them they'll be in good shape to cause trouble but even without James, Colombia is dangerous. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Why does everyone forget about Colombia? Now if England gets past them they'll be in good shape to cause trouble but even without James, Colombia is dangerous. 

I'm waiting to buy-in on Colombia. I think they had one of the softest groups heading into the tournament and they almost made a complete mess of it.

If they can advance past what looks to be a very strong England side without James, then I'll start believing they have a shot at the Final.

Let's go Brazil... so that I don't have to keep processing overtime for our road yards to put out barricades to pen in crazy Mexico fans.

The area I cover has already had pedestrians run over by idiots driving celebratory donuts in the middle of intersections and one guy faces a lengthy prison sentence for shooting fireworks at police.

VmWIn6B.png

Really can’t stand Neymar.

Acts like he’s having one of his limbs amputated every time he’s touched by an opponent. 

I know flopping and over exaggerating fouls is common in soccer, but Neymar takes it to another level. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

8 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Acts like he’s having one of his limbs amputated every time he’s touched by an opponent. 

I know flopping and over exaggerating fouls is common in soccer, but Neymar takes it to another level. 

I kept waiting for Rafa Marquez to actually cut him in half or run straight through him like he did Kobi Jones in Korea. Now that's not going to happen. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Mexico will be thinking about that Sweden performance for a while, I think. Had a chance right in front of them to ensure a favorable round of 16 tie (and path beyond that) and instead capitulated and ended up with Brazil instead.

6fQjS3M.png

14 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Looked like somebody had shot him. 

24 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Yeah I was watching it at work, and then something came up so I had to step away. Neymar got “hurt” while I was gone and I came back to the game and saw him writhing around and legit thought he broke his leg. Then I saw the replay and I was like, “really dude?” He should get an Oscar.

I’ll admit there’s a tiny part of me that’s afraid Brazil is going to spoil this whole thing and roll all the way, but I still think Belgium and France are better on that side of the bracket.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Not to mention all the rolls he did in their last match. Dude probably went around three or four full times after contact. Ridiculous. 

Also Firmino scored, which means that in ~40 minutes at the World Cup, he has more goals (1) than Gabriel Jesus has after starting all three matches. Just saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Not to mention all the rolls he did in their last match. Dude probably went around three or four full times after contact. Ridiculous. 

Also Firmino scored, which means that in ~40 minutes at the World Cup, he has more goals (1) than Gabriel Jesus has after starting all three matches. Just saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He should get the start, but probably won't. If they play Japan and not Belgium they should win comfortably. If they have to deal with Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne I could see them going out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

b9mzEWD.gif

eJmhysd.gif

VmWIn6B.png

Neymar finally started playing well, brilliant start as a winger and finish as a striket in the first goal. Solid defence with both our starter fullbacks out, Tite's record remains amazing.
Willian also decided to show up, great match after those awfull group stage perfomances. And Thiago Silva (who I really dislike) is easily the best defender at this tournament so far. High hopes for the Hexa.

Archived