2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wonder if Croatia is gonna be gassed out for the semifinal. Back-to-back games ending on penalty kicks is a lot of miles. We’ll see how that effects them. 

In any case, this is going to be a great final four. It’s been a fantastic World Cup and these matchups are set up to keep it fantastic. And really any final possibility sounds fun, too.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I really wonder if Croatia is gonna be gassed out for the semifinal. Back-to-back games ending on penalty kicks is a lot of miles. We’ll see how that effects them. 

In any case, this is going to be a great final four. It’s been a fantastic World Cup and these matchups are set up to keep it fantastic. And really any final possibility sounds fun, too.

Yeah that was my thinking as well. hopefully they can just hold on.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

When Croatia scored in extra tim, I thought it was , by rule, over.  Sudden death would make more sense.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

When Croatia scored in extra tim, I thought it was , by rule, over.  Sudden death would make more sense.

They had this at one point, called it golden goal — the issue was that teams were overly defensive, willing to take the match to penalties in an aim to avoid a match-losing mistake.

Kinda like how the NHL ended up with the OT loss point, with teams being defensive in an aim not to lose.

6fQjS3M.png

10 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Fifa is focused on the concept of balance too much for that. 

Home and away playoff matches, seasons also being played home and away.

Extra time being two equal periods just continues that balance. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That and their goaltender nursing a hamstring strain.

VmWIn6B.png

11 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

They had this at one point, called it golden goal — the issue was that teams were overly defensive, willing to take the match to penalties in an aim to avoid a match-losing mistake.

The solution is so simple. FIFA, or UEFA, if you're reading this, consider it my gift:

1) Allow for a 4th substitution at the start of extra time --> hey, you're already doing this! Good for you

2) Every five or ten minutes of extra time, allow for one more sub to be made. Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel for players who are truly gassed and can't continue.

3) Golden goal

This solution would eradicate penalty kick decided winners and make extra time a whole hell of a lot better. This board is a big hockey board (no surprise with all the Canadians around here), and we all love overtime playoff hockey except when our own team is involved, right? Because it's fantastic drama for a neutral and makes you want to die when your team is playing in it. We can easily recreate this with soccer. Don't give me any nonsense about the expanded substitution policy would be anathema for soccer because, crap, even if it is, having games, including potential tournament championships decided on penalty kicks isn't? When I evaluate NHL team records, I consider shootout results, win or lose, to essentially be ties, because I don't evaluate whether a team won or lost a game based on a skills competition decided by individual shooters and goaltenders/keepers. And, frankly, I feel the same way here too. I don't care if Chelsea or Real Madrid won the Champions League in '12 or '16, because who gives a crap about who won when it was decided by penalty kicks? Those Champions League years, or the World Cup in '94 or '06 when Brazil and Italy won on penalty kicks, might as well have no winner declared at all as far as I'm concerned.

For a long time, I begrudgingly accepted that, in today's era, it's just too difficult to schedule replays for games that end 1-1 after 90 minutes when you consider television scheduling, media, arena availability, summer tournaments (for UEFA competitions that is) and a few other important factors, but I don't care about that anymore. My suggestion above feels like, if it's not the most direct solution, then it comes very near to being the direct solution, and now that I think that I refuse to consider penalty kicks even a necessary evil anymore. NHL playoff games aren't decided on shootouts; the final set of major tennis tournaments aren't decided on tiebreakers; get penalty kick shootouts to decide the World Cup out of the g-ddamned sport.

spacer.png

Eh, I don't mind penalties in soccer. In hockey, the nature of short, high-intensity shifts lends itself to an indefinite overtime. Plus, if a fourth line player scores a goal in the 3rd OT, he's been playing the entire game and has helped/hurt his team to get there. 

With soccer, by the end of 120 minutes, the teams are so gassed you'd need to replace ALL the players if you wanted to continue playing (which, I understand some of you now go: "duh, yes"). However, would you really want to see Danny Welbeck come on with fresh legs in the 158th minute of a World Cup Final and run past Thomas Vermaelen to score a winning goal? How is that "fairer" to the original Belgium starting XI than kicks from the spot when you really think about it? Is that really a better solution than giving your star players like Harry Kane or Romalu Lukaku the opportunity to win/lose you the match, the players that took the game to a draw in the first place? Would it have been better for the sport for Croatia to advance yesterday on the efforts of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic, or by 11 bench players that only a handful of people know?

I'd argue part of the pull of soccer is the balance of those 11-15 players selected by each manager, not which country has the deepest roster 1-25.  

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

When I evaluate NHL team records, I consider shootout results, win or lose, to essentially be ties, because I don't evaluate whether a team won or lost a game based on a skills competition decided by individual shooters and goaltenders/keepers.

As an aside, this is the case in soccer - matches that go to penalty shootouts are considered draws in the record books. The shootout is used purely to determine progression rather than the match result.

9 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

As an aside, this is the case in soccer - matches that go to penalty shootouts are considered draws in the record books. The shootout is used purely to determine progression rather than the match result.

That applies to American soccer too - it's how the Philadelphia Union have a 12 match unbeaten streak in the Open Cup, despite never having won it. 2015, 16, 17 saw them exit via kicks from the mark.

LvZYtbZ.png

43 minutes ago, tigers said:

Belgium over the Brazilians has to be upset of the tournament.

Really?  Was Belgium even the underdog in that game?

Russia-Spain was way bigger of an upset, for one.

6 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Really?  Was Belgium even the underdogs in that game?

They were ahead of them in the rankings before the world cup.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

22 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Really?  Was Belgium even the underdog in that game?

But Russia's World Ranking was assuredly too low - they were practically punished for hosting.

LvZYtbZ.png

4 hours ago, willmorris said:

But Russia's World Ranking was assuredly too low - they were practically punished for hosting.

And losing 7 straight games to supposedly weaker competition than the other countries played prior to the tournament. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I used to get against PKs to decide soccer winners but then the Sounders won a title with them. It's clealry not the best way to determine a winner, but if you don't have a clear better team after two hours, PKs are the best choice that isn't flipping a coin.

And I think golden goal is against the spirit of the game. I prefer PKs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived