2018 FIFA World Cup

crashcarson15

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

Independent Croatia is younger than I am, and they're likely going to the World Cup final. Mostly just mentioning this to further illustrate just how badly CONCACAF has failed at soccer. 

fixed it. Mexico hasn't made it past the Round of 16 since 1998, Costa Rica got whooped this year and Panama was just worthless this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel really bad for England, I love seeing cursed teams break through. But I really, really want to say the phrase “Dejan Lovren, World Champion”

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I feel really bad for England, I love seeing cursed teams break through. But I really, really want to say the phrase “Dejan Lovren, World Champion

The dream is alive. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yeah, I've been learning a lot more about the NASL lately thank to a podcast called "Good Seats Still Available" (credit to @Mac the Knife for suggesting it in the podcast thread). The idea of the early days and bringing in a team from overseas to play as the local team was an interesting idea.....but I'm getting off topic.

It's not (well, not entirely) a podcast, @mr.negative15, but the "Tao of Sports" is another site worth looking at.  It's aimed toward the business side of sports, but it's similarly fascinating in its own way.

I now want to see Croatia win the cup.  I haven't had a dog in the fight this entire time really, but based on personal experience I really don't like the French.  :D

nav-logo.png

16 minutes ago, Wings said:

Happy for Croatia but France vs. England would've been so compelling with the history & the jokes.

It would have made for a great third-place game. :D 

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Man, Croatia has guts. I really didn’t think they’d have it in the tank to pull it off today, but they proved me wrong. It’s going to be tough to count them out Sunday.

With both France and Croatia getting where they are with grit, I think the Final is going to be a classic. I’m excited!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, nickp91 said:

England fans should be proud of their run to the Semi Finals and they should be very confident going in to Euro 2020

You know, I was (and am) a big fan of the "Golden Generation" of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Beckham, Rooney, Gary Neville (the England games being the only times that I could root for those bums from Man United).  It really bothers me that that group is regarded as a disappointment.  They went into tournaments with huge expectations; the 2006 World Cup was the pinnacle of this phenomenon.  When they didn't win, people took the easy analysis and claimed that they choked, or that they didn't care because they're all so rich, or something stupid like that.  The worst of the England fans would even claim that the players should be ashamed to show their faces, and that they don't have the right to publish memoirs or even to appear in public with smiles on their faces.  And this is a team that missed the semifinals by a couple of penalties! 

By contrast, the current England team went into this tournament with absolutely no expectations.  Even if they had gone out in the quarterfinals against Sweden, they would have been thought of as a success.  Getting to the semifinals is a wonderful acheivement.  So, even though they lack the personalities that made the 2006 team so interesting, this year's England team did something special, and will always be fondly remembered for it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Independent Croatia is younger than I am, and they're likely going to the World Cup final. Mostly just mentioning this to further illustrate just how badly America has failed at soccer. 

Again, the sheer size of the United States makes the job of identifying and developing talent 100x more difficult, not easier.

There’s a recent Will Parchman article that tackles the very topic (if you have a subscription to The Athletic).

Archived