crashcarson15

2018 FIFA World Cup

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mockba said:

 

Ok, put down the crack pipe and walk away.

Fine the US won't win the next world cup but I'll defend the other two points to the death! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Fine the US won't win the next world cup but I'll defend the other two points to the death! 

Pulisic is not as good as Mbappe. He has similar tools but he can't take over an entire match by himself yet. Hopefully that will be the case in 4 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Pulisic is not as good as Mbappe. He has similar tools but he can't take over an entire match by himself yet. Hopefully that will be the case in 4 years. 

And I think it’s fair to say that Mbappé is already one of the world’s best players. Pulisic is good and a rising star, but he’s nowhere near that level yet. 

 

Also, scary thought: Mbappé is this good already at 19. When the WC comes to North America in 2026, he will then be in his prime. Yeesh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Mbappé is already great. So great at this age that he may have the potential to become one of the best of all-time. He is at the very least heir-apparent to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi.

 

This French team was so fun to watch this tournament, and it’s scary to think of the damage they could do in the future with them being so great so young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Fine the US won't win the next world cup but I'll defend the other two points to the death! 

 

Funny, I hadn't even noticed that line before I posted.

 

I don't know why everyone's going on about the penalty call; the player clearly moved his hand into the path of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mockba said:

 

Funny, I hadn't even noticed that line before I posted.

 

I don't know why everyone's going on about the penalty call; the player clearly moved his hand into the path of the ball.

 

That seemed really clear to me. Croatia had some bad luck with the :censored: Riot thing and a corner that wasn't called a corner at the very end of the game, but France was clearly the better team. 4-2 is as clear a scoreline as anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

That seemed really clear to me. Croatia had some bad luck with the :censored: Riot thing and a corner that wasn't called a corner at the very end of the game, but France was clearly the better team. 4-2 is as clear a scoreline as anything.

The Griezmann slip/dive being given as a foul was a lot more bad luck than either or the situations you've pointed out here.

 

I'd very much dispute that France was "clearly the better team" on the day. In the second half, sure, I thought France were the better side, but they took 0/1 shots in the first half (depending on your definition). Their only two first-half scoring opportunities were a dubious free kick that turned into an own goal and a penalty (that was the correct decision) that came from a cross that wasn't in the slightest bit dangerous -- if Perišić lets that go through, there's another defender behind him. It's not like France's great quality of play created either of those opportunities; they caught two great breaks in an otherwise awful half of football.

 

Again, second half I thought France were great, but it's also a tactic they were only able to use because being awful in the first half somehow paid off for them with a 2-1 lead. So it goes, and that's this sport for you, but to say that France was "clearly" the better team Sunday feels really off the mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

So lets be real....what are the odds Qatar doesnt host 2022?  

 

I doubt that anything will stop that.

 

Assuming that the tournament does go ahead in Qatar, some good could come of it.  The country has already announced that it will allow alcohol at the fan zones, and that it will set up a special court system to treat drunken fans “very gently” (their words). This could lead to a general liberalisation that would benefit all residents of that country.

 

Also, the fan experience will probably be a good one.  With all matches taking place in a small geographical area, there will be none of the logistical problems that beset fans who had to travel across the vastness of Russia and Brazil in order to get from one venue to another.  Add to this the nighttime kickoffs, and this creates a very comfortable routine for fans, as they will not have to change hotels, and can enjoy full days of visiting beaches and restaurants before the matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

I doubt that anything will stop that.

 

Assuming that the tournament does go ahead in Qatar, some good could come of it.  The country has already announced that it will allow alcohol at the fan zones, and that it will set up a special court system to treat drunken fans “very gently” (their words). This could lead to a general liberalisation that would benefit all residents of that country.

 

Also, the fan experience will probably be a good one.  With all matches taking place in a small geographical area, there will be none of the logistical problems that beset fans who had to travel across the vastness of Russia and Brazil in order to get from one venue to another.  Add to this the nighttime kickoffs, and this creates a very comfortable routine for fans, as they will not have to change hotels, and can enjoy full days of visiting beaches and restaurants before the matches.

Due to the limited space in Qatar I could see countries like Kuwait, Bahrain and UAE offering deals for vacations and the such, or being added to support team training areas. The ones that will benefit the most are the countries not having to deal with the stadium staffing and traffic concerns of such a condensed area with so many people moving through it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still find it hard that a tournament requiring multiple venues and hosting something on the world stage is going to cram all of it into a country roughly as large as Connecticut.

 

And then add to the fact that FIFA might expedite the larger tournament and have 48 teams in the 2022 Cup, 4 years sooner than planned.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/07/13/fifa-president-world-cup-could-expand-to-48-teams-in-2022-ahead-of-schedule/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2bf58617db2a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now