crashcarson15

2018 FIFA World Cup

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Australia played really well.

 

 

France needs to figure out they're at the World Cup, and start playing like it.

Australia was why they played USA before the Cup. Apparently some folks didn't take notes.

 

29 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Messi is going to have to drag this team kicking and screaming if they want to get anywhere. He has so much talent around him on paper - Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Banega, the list goes on and on. And yet he has to carry this team LeBron-style if they want to get anywhere. What a waste. 

I think his team needs to carry him. That PK was horrible and he just seemed to meander around until Argentina attacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, insert name said:

Did the FOX commentator say "Iceland beats Argentina 1-1"? 

 

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

Yes. It was clever. I'm sorry you didn't understand the subtext.

It refers to a Harvard-Yale football game that ended tied. Harvard hadn't won in years and so the headline was "Harvard beats Yale 27-27".

52 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Is it me or is the announcer for the Peru-Denmark match is trying WAY too hard at being excited?

He normally calls Mexican Liga MX for Univision. That's normal for how those games get called on Latin American television. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on to Croatia v Nigeria, which, in my personal opinion, is the best dressed game of the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Messi is going to have to drag this team kicking and screaming if they want to get anywhere. He has so much talent around him on paper - Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Banega, the list goes on and on. And yet he has to carry this team LeBron-style if they want to get anywhere. What a waste. 

 

I find it something of an opposite problem — Aguero, for example, could be doing more, but they don’t play together as a team. No one can figure out how to put all that talent together as a unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, willmorris said:

So on to Croatia v Nigeria, which, in my personal opinion, is the best dressed game of the tournament.

 

If only Nigeria had worn their light kit! They still looked good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, willmorris said:

So on to Croatia v Nigeria, which, in my personal opinion, is the best dressed game of the tournament.

If only this wasn’t probably the worst Croatia kit in a while…

 

Croatia’s in a great spot, given a comfortable win paired with an Argentina draw. Four points the rest of the way should lock up the top spot in the group and a path to the quarters that avoids France. It’ll be interesting the narrative around them, because they’re genuinely one of the most talented teams at this tournament — just glad we’ve got an actual manager in charge this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

If only this wasn’t probably the worst Croatia kit in a while…

 

Croatia’s in a great spot, given a comfortable win paired with an Argentina draw. Four points the rest of the way should lock up the top spot in the group and a path to the quarters that avoids France. It’ll be interesting the narrative around them, because they’re genuinely one of the most talented teams at this tournament — just glad we’ve got an actual manager in charge this year.

I like Croatia. Very few teams have a midfield that can match theirs, plus they have plenty of experience to go around. Only need to keep Lovren in line and they can make a deep run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Video reviews for judgment calls are the worst. For all the whining, it’s amazing to think that the NFL and college football have the best video review system.

 

The league with the best video review system is the Arena Football League. The audience sees exactly what the referee is looking at on the screen, and hears him asking the truck for various angles. The referee describes out loud his thought process in reaching a decision.

 

 

9 hours ago, insert name said:

Did the FOX commentator say "Iceland beats Argentina 1-1"? 

 

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Yes. It was clever. I'm sorry you didn't understand the subtext.

 

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It refers to a Harvard-Yale football game that ended tied. Harvard hadn't won in years and so the headline was "Harvard beats Yale 27-27".

 

And also to the U.S.'s 1-1 draw with England in the 2010 World Cup, which some outlets described as a "win".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Landon Donovan is now guilty of treason. 

 

Who is he supposed to root for, or should he not watch at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Who is he supposed to root for, or should he not watch at all?

Anyone other than the USA's biggest rival national club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Digby said:

Imagine if the USMNT ever managed to hold a gameplan like that.

 

Ever?

 

1076223_big-lnd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Who is he supposed to root for, or should he not watch at all?

If only there were 31 other teams for him to pick from. It's all part of a marketing deal, so who is to say if he's really rooting for the US's biggest soccer rival?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

If only there were 31 other teams for him to pick from. It's all part of a marketing deal, so who is to say if he's really rooting for the US's biggest soccer rival?

I could get behind this idea until he called out Carlos Bocanegra and saying he shouldn't be against Mexico because he was raised in a primarily Mecican area. Would have been better to say, "It's just business", but he's still playing at Leon and doesn't want to get run out of town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mockba said:

 

Ever?

 

1076223_big-lnd.jpg

 

True. Halcyon days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Landon Donovan is now guilty of treason. 

 

It is Wells Fargo, who has been :censored:ing over their customers for years.

Tacky?   Yes.

Will flyover/MAGA country remove their money on Monday? Some will.

So much for last month's ad campaign...

 

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matic starts a shoving match at the end of the Costa Rica-Serbia match. Should be interesting to see if fines are handed out. VAR used to give a yellow for Serbian player slapping at a player. It's the right call but only happens if VAR thinks it's a red card offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

And Mexico defeats the Die Mannschaft 1-0...

Ohhh boy, this is interesting! Hard not to root for them, as I live in Texas and don’t really appreciate soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

And Mexico defeats the Die Mannschaft 1-0...

Thought Osorio lost the plot pulling Vela, but Mexico held out. Looks like Germany vs Brazil in the Round of 16 unless Mexico goes full Italy 2010 on this. Very disappointing play by Germany, especially in the midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now