MJD7 x Victormrey | World Baseball Classic (Series Complete)

MJD7

Hello everyone!

I've been grateful to have the opportunity to work with the immensely talented designer @Victormrey for the past few months on a World Baseball Classic collaboration series. I've always loved his creativity in his concepts and thought it work work quite well in something like this. We've had this idea of working together for quite a while, and now that the series is complete we think it's finally time to show it to you guys. So here's how things are going to work:

• This series was done with this thoughtful proposal in mind of the WBC becoming an event that replaces the All-Star break every 4 years, thus becoming a more celebrated event. 
  • This would leave room for more games, so teams will have a designated home uniform, an away uniform, and a "Country Pride" alternate that embraces each country's unique heritage.
  • To make things more colorful, each away uniform will be a team color as opposed to gray, similar to my Redesigns series.
  • The total amount of teams in the tournament will be bumped up from 16 to 24.
  • @Victormrey and I will be alternating back and forth between teams, going in alphabetical order, starting with Argentina.

Here is the team list, and links will be added once each team is posted:

Argentina

Australia (Update)

Brazil

Canada (Update)

China

Chinese Taipei

Colombia

Cuba

Czech Republic

Dominican Republic

Germany

Israel (Update)

Italy

Japan

Mexico

Netherlands

Nicaragua

Panama

Puerto Rico

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

United States of America (Update)

Venezuela

We're excited to show this to you all, we really hope you enjoy it!

fLm4Y98.png

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let’s get this thing started with Argentina!

Columbia blue is quite simply Argentina’s to own in this World Baseball Classic. Being one of my favorite colors personally, I was excited that we would get to embrace it. We do exactly that by giving them a columbia cap, undershirt, and socks on the home and a columbia base for the away. The columbia pinstripes are inspired by Argentina’s legendary soccer team uniforms. The navy “Country Pride” alternate has racing stripes inspired by the flag and this uniform. The Tuscan font throughout the set is inspired by this uniform as well.

0ho4tDq.pngVjyWE6O.pngcLB5m94.png

Thanks for checking this out, any advice/requests are appreciated!

Thank you guys for the nice feedback!

Let's continue the series with Australia. Since the National Team uses the same colour scheme than South Africa, we decided to use a lime to teal gradient instead of the usual gold, combining it with their traditional forest green. The Country Pride uniform sticks to the country traditional colours, featuring a subtle Aboriginal motif all over the shirt, and a green variant on the cuffs.

cTjCjZ8.png

4LMMP8q.png

OXZNwyS.png

Very cool! This may be nitpicking a bit, but if you're going to use an indigenous element for Australia, it'd be better to use aboriginal elements over Maori. The Maori are much more heavily associated with New Zealand. 

2 minutes ago, woody86 said:

This may be nitpicking a bit, but if you're going to use an indigenous element for Australia, it'd be better to use aboriginal elements over Maori. The Maori are much more heavily associated with New Zealand. 

Ups, that's a description mistake made by me. I actually meant aboriginal, not Maori.

This kind of artwork is the inspiration:

Resultado de imagen de australian aboriginal paintings

1 hour ago, tigers said:

Australia in an all white home is an ugly, ugly look.

If you want to add a Aboriginal touch why not use Ochre, Red and Black?

Home baseball uniforms baseball are traditionally all-white, so we wanted to kept it that way.

Instead of using Aboriginal colours, we decided to go for the traditional colours of the team, which are shared by the other sports national teams.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, coco1997 said:

Very cool! I love that green gradient, and the sublimated Maori pattern on the alternate is really interesting! 

Thank you!

20 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Both looks so far are nice. However, I don't like the use of dark monochrome uniforms. All navy and green are not good looks. It just screams softball. 

Thank you. Unfortunately, that will probably be an element you will see quite a bit throughout this series, as we aimed to make things a bit more colorful than a typical MLB game.

Also, thanks to anyone who’s given constructive criticism, it’s always welcome!

Next up we have Brazil. The country has one of the coolest color schemes in international sports, the biggest trick is balancing all 3 while creating a clean, sleek look that feels true to the country. We attempted to do that by color blocking the cap, striping, and undershirts in ways that use relatively equal amounts of blue, green, and yellow. The caps, belts, and socks combo would be interchangeable among sets to allow for a bunch of unique color combinations. The wavy striping on the alt is inspired by the pattern seen on the Copacabana Beach Boardwalk in Rio de Janeiro. Thanks for checking this out!

xsfg7fC.jpgetEbvHS.jpgNUdKeCm.jpg

5 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Brazil looks terrific! Love the details on the yellow jersey. One of those teams that lets you throw conventional rules of color balance out the window since everything looks good.

With the World Cup looming have you considered a set for them with the yellow jersey, blue pants, and white socks?

Thanks! I completely agree.

And maybe something like this?

iFfSIa8.png

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Brazil turned out great! My only criticism is that the solid yellow cap looks a little odd, but I get what you were trying to accomplish with the color blocked look. 

Thank you! Yea, it is a bit bright and unconventional but it's something that can definitely make Brazil stand out.

I'm really loving your alternate jerseys here! The patterns are spectacular, Brazil especially.

I'm not a huge fan of the Australia wordmark; it feels too sci-fi, especially when paired with the lime to teal gradient. Perhaps something rounder would work better.

I think that Australia's away would look better with gray pants, with the small lime stripe surrounded by the forest. The all-green look seems a bit much.

For Brazil's alternate, maybe do a green cap with blue brim and yellow "B"? I think proudly flaunting all the colors would be a good look for the tropical country.

Excited to see the rest! Curious if you two will a third color for Canada...

23 hours ago, vtgco said:

I'm really loving your alternate jerseys here! The patterns are spectacular, Brazil especially.

I'm not a huge fan of the Australia wordmark; it feels too sci-fi, especially when paired with the lime to teal gradient. Perhaps something rounder would work better.

I think that Australia's away would look better with gray pants, with the small lime stripe surrounded by the forest. The all-green look seems a bit much.

For Brazil's alternate, maybe do a green cap with blue brim and yellow "B"? I think proudly flaunting all the colors would be a good look for the tropical country.

Excited to see the rest! Curious if you two will a third color for Canada...

Thank you! Trust me, the alternates are going to continue to be unique!

Since we've gotten quite a few comments on Australia, we decided to try tweaking their set a bit and seeing what happens. We went back to the classic colors for the primary home & away, and tried out aboriginal colors for the alt.

iKQlTEb.pngqOa9vxy.pngXojQCAM.png

The important thing is what do you guys think? Better/Worse?

Also @vtgco here is what your suggestion for the Brazil set would look like. Personally I would prefer the all-green hat but this is a good look itself too.

jExBaWh.png

Let @Victormrey and I know what you think!

Archived