SportsLogos.Net News

West Michigan Whitecaps to play as Beer City Bung Hammers

I was just in Grand Rapids.  Fitting name as there are breweries everywhere.

"So, the bung hammer is used to fit the bung into the bunghole of a barrel."

f0eee6aa2dc0e61102abb330579d8aa3.jpg

Between the Creamies and the Bung Hammers, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw teams get temporary rebrands of "Hairy Banjos" and "Skin Flutes" here soon.

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Between the Creamies and the Bung Hammers, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw teams get temporary rebrands of "Hairy Banjos" and "Skin Flutes" here soon.

I'm waiting for the Cleveland Steamers.

No thanks, I'll just have the salad.

I hate to admit it, but I just bought some Bung Hammers merch.  Window decals for $10, but still...

No word on any potential legal action from Ron Jeremy's softball team, The Hung Bammers.

Michigan has whitecaps?

At least they didn't go with Bung Burgers or Meaty Meat Hammers, that would of been ridiculous.

I wish these teams would cease the gimmicky temporary nature and simply full-time rebrand.  Bung Hammers, Creamies, Pizza Rats, etc - embrace it all 100% from top to bottom.

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

I wish these teams would cease the gimmicky temporary nature and simply full-time rebrand.  Bung Hammers, Creamies, Pizza Rats, etc - embrace it all 100% from top to bottom.

There's been plenty of teams to commit fully to their Brandiose nicknames: Baby Cakes, Rumble Ponies, Chihuahuas, BIscuits, Rubberducks, Yard Goats, etc. 

I think what we're seeing now is teams wanted to play the goofy name game, but also wanted a more grown-up identity. Having it both ways. Pizza Rats is a great name though and should be the Staten Island Yankees full time identity. 

Bung Hammers is uhhh, it's problematic. 

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

There's been plenty of teams to commit fully to their Brandiose nicknames: Baby Cakes, Rumble Ponies, Chihuahuas, BIscuits, Rubberducks, Yard Goats, etc. 

I think what we're seeing now is teams wanted to play the goofy name game, but also wanted a more grown-up identity. Having it both ways. Pizza Rats is a great name though and should be the Staten Island Yankees full time identity. 

Bung Hammers is uhhh, it's problematic. 

Bung Hammers sucks but the branding is legitimately good!  The stupid thing about the Pizza Rats is that they should've already done the full-on rebrand by now, what with the contest and such, but I guess there's legalities that held it up?  That or maybe they chickened out and want this trial to push them over the edge.

PIzza Rats doesn't work for Staten Island because Staten Island doesn't have subways for rats to harvest pizza from.

Grand Rapids seems like a rather large market for just Single-A. Maybe it's a matter of geography, I dunno.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Grand Rapids seems like a rather large market for just Single-A. Maybe it's a matter of geography, I dunno.

Well, AA wouldn't happen since its nowhere near the Southern, Eastern, or Texas Leagues.  The only AAA option would be the International League, but expansion at the MLB level would be their only option if they're interested.

For Grand Rapids, its pretty much Midwest League or bust.

I always wonder how major-league expansion will trickle down to the minors. I didn't realize West Michigan was a Grand Rapids team (I thought maybe Battle Creek? Kalamazoo? Benton Harbor?) so that would be an obvious candidate for AAA expansion. Jacksonville or Vancouver would be another.