Gothamite

Staten Island Yankees now the... Pizza Rats?!

Yep, the Staten Island Yankees have re-branded themselves after a meme from 2015. 

Although "Pizza Rats" was the winner of a fan vote for new permanent name back in 2016, this is for Saturday night games this season.  Or maybe more, if they sell enough stuff?

https://www.pizzaratsbaseball.com/

DSC_0167.jpg?format=750w

DSC_0062.jpg?format=1500w

DSC_0092.jpg?format=1500w

I fully expect to see a ton of these caps around the city.

DSC_0040.jpg

As much as I might usually object to a seventh color in their scheme, the white cheese just looks wrong.  Should use a yellow shade instead, something that could compliment the tan of the crust. 

Of course, Brandiose gotta Brandiose, so there's a ton of logos. They range from inoffensive to terribly overcooked, with a bat/pennant/pizza mash-up that must have sounded clever in a pitch meeting  The mascot logo is the best of the bunch - he isn't swinging a bat, which is an improvement.

image.pngNYC-01.png?format=300wRate.png?format=300w

PizzaFlag-01.png?format=300wPizza.png?format=300w

Isn't this whole meme a little... stale, though?  Like at least two years too late?

41 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Isn't this whole meme a little... stale, though?  Like at least two years too late?

It's about as current as "Chocolate Rain".

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not only is it stale, it's not particularly Staten Islandy either. The Pizza Rat was such a uniquely subway phenomenon, and Staten Island, despite its MTA-administered railroad, does not share in the rest of the city's subway culture.

Getting old fast, but I will say that the Pizza Rats script across the jersey is beautiful.

Sounds like they tried to come up with the most stereotypically “New York” name possible.

26 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Getting old fast, but I will say that the Pizza Rats script across the jersey is beautiful.

That bit sure is.  Putting "Staten Island" across the top seems too minor league even for a short-season Class A ballclub.  Especially when it's right there on the sleeve patch.  And I think this is one that could benefit from a keyline.  But I love the script.

DSC_0092.jpg?format=1500w

I'd like to see that SI monogram w/o the bat. It'd look a helluva lot better on their caps than that Y that doesn't match anything.

I think I love everything about this, especially the delicious script.  It would be ridiculous to use it full time, but this is right up there with the Fresno Tacos for me.

First thing that came to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

This is a ludicrous idea, but it's actually pretty well executed...

The Pizza Rats script is gorgeous and that SI monogram definitely needs to be on the regular caps...

Staten Island in that same script would look fantastic on a potential road jersey.

Given Staten Island, shocked Heroes didn't win

(sorry, don't have the energy to draw a 5 minute hastily made logo of a hero as in food hero dressed in an NYPD and/or FDNY uniform swinging a baseball hat)

2 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

Should have been the Killer Bees because Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin to F with

Shaolin Monks

As a devout TMNT fan and appreciator of quality uniform/logo design, this is all wonderful.

This is like naming a team after "I Can Has Cheezburger" in the year 2018. Sorry, you were way too late on this, SI Yanks.

Also, as @Waffles mentioned, the pizza rat was on a stairwell to a subway. There are no subways in Staten Island. This is like renaming the Brooklyn Cyclones after a Broadway reference.