Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1944 Finals

The playoffs came and the Black Bears experience carried them past the Virginia Royals 2 games to 1 in the first round. In the Cities, the Vulcans surprising run continued as they beat the Millers to advance to the finals in their first year. In the championship game, the Vulcans were carried by their captain, Lou Tschida. They knocked off the defending champs from Ely, and won their first Kellogg Cup!

roZ3OCS.png

I just stumbled upon this, and ... wow. This looks well made and it is timely. Some things I'd like to see are records for each team and maybe expansions to the west and south?

14 hours ago, JamHeronArk said:

I just stumbled upon this, and ... wow. This looks well made and it is timely. Some things I'd like to see are records for each team and maybe expansions to the west and south?

Thank you, and yes it will be a long series. I will definitely try doing records and I will likely be adjusting the playoffs soon to show scores and other things. As for expansion, there will be plenty of that coming soon. The times teams join the league are determined by population at that time period and at this period most cities are either in the Twin Cities or the Iron Range, but as populations rise more teams will join. That along with updating current teams will be the biggest challenge for this series, as of right now I plan on the league having at least 130 teams in 16 leagues by the time it is done.

5 hours ago, chapper said:

Just read through the entire story and... wow. The detail in this is incredible. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Thank you, I hope you enjoy what will likely be a lengthy story!

Anyways, I will be out of town for a week so the thread will die down a little bit, but I plan on picking up where I left off as soon as I get back!

As I know you want to focus on Minnesota, are we going to see leagues in other states that compete with the Minnesota teams?

11 minutes ago, Darknes said:

As I know you want to focus on Minnesota, are we going to see leagues in other states that compete with the Minnesota teams?

That's an interesting idea but I think for the sake of this series I'm going to stick to leagues in Minnesota. Though there are going to be a few teams from Wisconsin and North Dakota.

13 hours ago, JamHeronArk said:

~130 teams in 16 divisions? You, sir, are dedicated.

Yes I agree.

Go Vulcans

On 6/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, JamHeronArk said:

~130 teams in 16 divisions? You, sir, are dedicated.

I keep thinking of more cities or parts of cities that I feel could have a team so this number could get even bigger... oh boy ?

On 6/25/2018 at 4:14 PM, TargetToad said:

The Vulcans look WAY too modern for 1920.

After looking back I agree, I tried to simplify it to more what teams in the 20's had IRL. I got rid of the hem stripes and added yellow shoulders, the stripes are just on the bottom o the sleeves which matches the time period better.

qdK3KHZ.png

Prior to the 1920/21 season two teams joined the Iron Range Hockey League, the Chisholm Flames and Hibbing Greyhounds. The Flames colors are burnt red and gold meant to resemble a fire. The name Flames comes from a forest fire that destroyed much of the city in 1908 where citizens ran into the lakes to stay safe. The Hibbing Greyhounds are the first sponsored team in the MAHL. Their name comes from the team sponsor, Greyhound Lines, which was founded in Hibbing 7 years prior to the team.

gfFSV1r.pngJjbPIG2.png

The 1920/21 came to an end with only a couple story lines. The biggest of these would be the surprising climb to the top of the Iron Range by the Duluth Hornets, led by the speedy winger, Guy Gerard, the Hornets finished the season far ahead of the rest of the league. The expansion teams in the Iron Range did not fare very well, coming in the last two positions in their league with 7 combined wins between them. Down in the cities, things were mainly same old same old with the Millers yet again on top of the league with the Vulcans, Saints, and Mavs following behind. 

y4zKHiN.pngQIpxE3p.png

Due to the increase in the amount of teams in both leagues, the MAHL decided to expand the playoffs. Instead of only the top 2 teams from both leagues the playoffs are now the top 4 teams from both leagues with the #1 team playing #4 and #2 playing #3 in the opening round. The playoffs are all best of 3 until the finals where it is best of 5, no more one and done finals to decide who wins the Kellogg Cup. 

There was nothing surprising in the first round with the top 2 teams in both leagues advancing. In the second round the Vulcans upset the Millers for the second year in a row advancing to the finals again. In the Iron Range, the Hornets continued to buzz, easily advancing past the Royals from Virginia. The finals will consist of the defending champs from the Twin Cities against the Duluth Hornets who are playing in their first Kellogg Cup Finals.

UXb3FTq.png

In the first Kellogg Cup Finals with a best of 5 format the Hornets had home ice advantage being the higher seed.

Game 1: The Hornets made it clear they weren't messing around, jumping out to a 2 goal lead just 5 minutes into the game, both goals by Gerard, the game ended a 3-1 win for the home side.

Game 2: Tschida lit a fire under his men prior to game 2 and helped lead them to a 2-0 victory on enemy ice.

Game 3: The Vulcans continued their momentum on home ice and squeaked out a 4-3 win in OT.

Game 4: The Hornets knew they were one loss away from being done, they played very defensive and shut down Tschida and the Vulcans for most of the game, they won the game 2-1 and forced a deciding game 5 back in Duluth.

Game 5: in front of a rowdy crowd on the shores of Lake Superior, Gerard took the team on his shoulders and got a hat trick to win the Kellogg Cup for the Hornets.

AkylS6I.png

Prior to the 1920/21 season only one team adjusted their current look. The St. Paul Victorias simplified their logo to just the winged V, dropping the St. Paul text below. Along with simplifying their logo they changed their uniform.

BZJ7Y9P.png

After the 1921/22 regular season the defending champs remained at the top of the Iron Range, followed closely by Ely and Virginia. The Flames and Greyhounds improved from last year leaving the Miners at the bottom of the league. Down in the Cities the South St. Paul Mavericks finally surpassed their big brothers and won the league with one more win than the Millers. 

OaCsyxm.pngCsQNGas.png

The playoffs came along and the only real surprise was Cloquet. The Broncos came out of nowhere and upset the defending champs 2 games to 1 then doing it yet again to the Black Bears on their way to the Kellogg Cup finals. They will match off against another team who also hasn't played in the championship, the Mavericks from South St. Paul.

sOvHsTa.png

Game 1: The first game of the series was a very defensive battle with neither team wanting to give the other an inch. After 3 periods it was still scoreless so the game went to overtime. After one overtime period there was still no score. It wasn't until the second OT that there would be a goal that finally ended the game with a win for the home team.

Game 2: Riding on the momentum they had after a double overtime win the game before, they came out fast and won the game 3-1.

Game 3: A desperate Broncos team took advantage of home ice and lit up the Maverick goaltender, scoring 7 times in a 7-3 win.

Game 4: The Mavericks scored 2 quick goals and it proved too much for the Broncos to overcome. The South St. Paul Mavericks are the 1922 Kellogg Cup Champions, the first in franchise history.

hyOrXAa.png

Do the Twin Cities and Iron Range Hockey Leagues play each other in inter-league games and other opponents (since the W-L-T tends to add up for both leagues combined and not separately - with a total record of 169-165-26 (taking 2 wins away from Virginia to ensure each team has played 24 games))?

Plus there is a small error for the Virginia Royals' W-L-T record, since it showed them playing 26 games as opposed to 24 for the rest of the league. It is interesting how Duluth does not have multiple hockey teams but Eveleth does, considering Duluth's much larger population. The small Iron Range town designs are still excellent - Chisholm just absorb the fire by naming the team after it! Hibbing's design is excellent - lovely!