Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1947 Finals

Recommended Posts

Has the Great Depression had any effect on any of the teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Has the Great Depression had any effect on any of the teams?

For the 1931/32 season, the two fully Minneapolis-based teams, the Millers and Bruins, merged as a result of the Great Depression (as @Section30 stated). It is currently unstated by Section30 if it has affected any other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

For the 1931/32 season, the two fully Minneapolis-based teams, the Millers and Bruins, merged as a result of the Great Depression (as @Section30 stated). It is currently unstated by Section30 if it has affected any other teams.

Stillwater is probably going to have to fold, but they'll likely be back after WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

Welcome back to the finals Soudan!

 

But Stillwater - 12 wooden spoons in a row - that is just unfortunate...you just can't help but feel a lot of sympathy for the poor Waters.

(I know Stillwater has no official nickname but it was just a temporary idea - could they be the Steelers or something?)

 

6 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Stillwater is probably going to have to fold, but they'll likely be back after WW2.

 

Stillwater is currently in a position where the team is trying so desperately just to get people to field a team which is only going to get worse as players try to save money in any way possible during the depression. So as of right now the team is just known as the Athletics and it likely wont change, mostly because the days are numbered before they aren't able to keep their team.

 

18 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Has the Great Depression had any effect on any of the teams?

 

13 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

For the 1931/32 season, the two fully Minneapolis-based teams, the Millers and Bruins, merged as a result of the Great Depression (as @Section30 stated). It is currently unstated by Section30 if it has affected any other teams.

 

The depression is currently affecting every team at least partially, some will be more affected than others. I would expect to see more teams do what Minneapolis is doing by combining, or there may be some that are forced to fold.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Section30 said:

The depression is currently affecting every team at least partially, some will be more affected than others. I would expect to see more teams do what Minneapolis is doing by combining, or there may be some that are forced to fold.

 

Which teams would you say are the least capitalized at the moment?

 

Also, how early do you think the color barrier can be broken after World War II?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Which teams would you say are the least capitalized at the moment?

 

The depression is going to mostly impact teams in the Twin cities due to the different amounts of business that are in the area that will be either going under or laying off people, causing players to lose their jobs. Whereas in the Iron Range almost everyone is employed by the Mines which stay open during the depression, and people on Lake Superior are mostly involved with shipping the Iron form the Iron Range, so they will be good for the most part as well. This doesn't mean that every team in those leagues will be immune to the depression however.

 

5 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Also, how early do you think the color barrier can be broken after World War II?

 

Minnesota has always been a fairly advanced place as far as rights and progression, so I would guess that the color barrier will be broken sometime in the early 50's, not too long after Jackie Robinson in the MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Section30 said:

 

The depression is going to mostly impact teams in the Twin cities due to the different amounts of business that are in the area that will be either going under or laying off people, causing players to lose their jobs. Whereas in the Iron Range almost everyone is employed by the Mines which stay open during the depression, and people on Lake Superior are mostly involved with shipping the Iron form the Iron Range, so they will be good for the most part as well. This doesn't mean that every team in those leagues will be immune to the depression however.

  

 

Minnesota has always been a fairly advanced place as far as rights and progression, so I would guess that the color barrier will be broken sometime in the early 50's, not too long after Jackie Robinson in the MLB.

 

And also, Hamm's should be resuming beer production after Prohibition is lifted, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1932 Playoffs

 

Knockout Round:

  • In their first playoff game in recent history, the Miners didn't have what it took to advance as they fell to the Greyhounds.
  • In another playoff game between these rivals, the Hornets came out on top and advanced past the Broncos.
  • The newly merged Minneapolis Hockey Club didn't have what it took to beat the Mavericks.
  • The Saints defeat the Black Bears and advance in the wildcard bracket.

Second Round:

  • The defending champs squeaked past the Greyhounds and made the semi finals for the fourth straight year.
  • Two Harbors, led by Potter, sweeps the Hornets.
  • South St. Paul upsets Molde and the Victorias and advances to another semi final.
  • The Voyageurs look like their old selves and sweep to advance past the Saints to the semi finals.

Semi Finals:

  • Eveleth continues to dominate and advances to their third straight finals appearance.
  • In the closest series of the playoffs thus far, the Mavericks just inch their way past Duluth in a physical series.

Will the Reds go back t back, or will the Mavericks be the first team from the Twin Cities to win a Cup in nearly a decade?

REmzvee.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

 

And also, Hamm's should be resuming beer production after Prohibition is lifted, correct?

 

That is correct, Hamms actually continued through prohibition by selling soft drinks, but beer is what made it grow. Hamms as well as other breweries and other businesses like General Mills, Pillsbury, and Kelloggs, will allow the Twin Cities to bounce back not too long after WW2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game 1: In their first Cup final game in a decade, the Mavericks were completely outplayed by the Reds as they lost 4-1.

Game 2: The defending champs continued to control nearly every aspect of the game and won game two easily as well.

Game 3: With the series going down to South St. Paul, the Mavericks hoped it would give them the push they needed to comeback in the series. They were able to squeeze out an overtime victory on home ice.

Game 4: The Reds tightened up defensively and didn't allow a goal against on their way to a 3-0 victory.

Game 5: With their backs against the wall, the Mavericks got chippy. Taking cheap shots at the Reds goaltender and hitting anyone wearing maroon. The Reds were disciplined and took advantage of the power play chances given to them as they went on to win their second straight Kellogg Cup!

9JzHeWG.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely LOVE this series! I've always loved Minnesota hockey history, and to expand on it, and make it something original is really cool! 

 

Have you thought about expanding into White Bear? White Bear Lake has had a long history with Frank "Moose" Goheen, and having a high school program since the first state tourney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I absolutely LOVE this series! I've always loved Minnesota hockey history, and to expand on it, and make it something original is really cool! 

 

Have you thought about expanding into White Bear? White Bear Lake has had a long history with Frank "Moose" Goheen, and having a high school program since the first state tourney. 

 

Thank you, I'm glad you like it so far. And yeah, White Bear will be getting a team, I currently have them joining sometime in the 60s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Section30 said:

 

Thank you, I'm glad you like it so far. And yeah, White Bear will be getting a team, I currently have them joining sometime in the 60s

My NHL 18 manager mode team is the White Bear Lake White Lake Bears if you need some name ideas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Bear Lake

- Bruins

- Cubs

- Grizzlies

- Kodiaks

- Polars

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

My NHL 18 manager mode team is the White Bear Lake White Lake Bears if you need some name ideas...

 

14 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

White Bear Lake

- Bruins

- Cubs

- Grizzlies

- Kodiaks

- Polars

 

 

I actually have the team name going somewhere other than the obvious "Bear" route (mostly because that is the high school's nickname) the name I decided on is more centered around the reason for why the city is called White Bear Lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to the 1932/33 season a couple teams made adjustments. The Soudan Miners adjusted their jerseys by making their shield logo larger and in the center of the jersey, the striping remains the same.

 

mBwJpqy.png

 

The Duluth Hornets made their first major change in franchise history by actually having a logo. The Hornets new logo is a D for Duluth, replacing the Duluth wording. The rest of the jerseys are changed as well, the striping is much simpler and a shoulder yolk is added.

 

QXFSa4r.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1932/33 season concluded and here are the stories.

Iron Range Hockey League: The Eveleth Reds finished at the top of the Iron Range yet again, and look to win their third straight Kellogg Cup. The Black Bears bounced back and finished second. Soudan continues to improve and finished third. The Greyhounds took a step back, but still made the playoffs. The Rangers, Royals, and Flames finished at the bottom of the league.

Lake Superior Hockey League: Two Harbors finished first in the league for the second straight year, and the Duluth teams followed behind. The Lakers clinched a playoff birth, and the Broncos fell out of the playoffs with many of their players aging.

Twin Cities Hockey League: South St. Paul remained at the top of the Twin Cities with the St. Paul teams following close behind. Minneapolis clinched another playoff birth, and the Vulcans and Athletics finished at the bottom of the table.

 

O4HccTe.pngKgw466W.png0GVlbRq.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't really commented here much, I'm really liking how the logos and jerseys look like they could have easily been used in real life. The commitment is astounding as well. I would never try to do leagues with as many as 200 teams, so Kudos for that. Do you plan to have any teams in cities outside Minnesota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Haven't really commented here much, I'm really liking how the logos and jerseys look like they could have easily been used in real life. The commitment is astounding as well. I would never try to do leagues with as many as 200 teams, so Kudos for that. Do you plan to have any teams in cities outside Minnesota?

 

As of right now there is currently a team in Wisconsin, the Superior Lakers, and I plan on adding at least 1 more Wisconsin team, as well as a couple in North Dakota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now