Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1947 Playoffs

Some more teams decided to update their looks by adding colored breezers for the 1946/47 season.

CuVkEtO.pngAcbvtG2.png6EbcJ1V.pngcVV777r.pngqaIbtcO.pngZvDhDdG.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Two teams made some adjustments to their uniforms prior to the season, the Greyhounds added an away jersey for the first time in franchise history, but left their home unchanged. South St. Paul completely redid their uniform striping, updating the old where the shoulders, hem and sleeves were solid red are now striped.

FGX9YtQ.pngIcj7bF1.png

Solid unis, they all are...like how Chisholm's the lone team not to have a white jersey.

If the Lakers' jerseys existed in real life, I would LOVE to buy one...

I love the Hibbing away jersey, but the Blue Ox jerseys are just soooooooo clean.

There was a lot of adjusting in the MAHL this off season. All three leagues had either new teams or teams move from their league, 4 expansion teams were welcomed to the league, and there is a new league that formed.

The Bemidji Blue Ox and Roseau Stars left the Iron Range Hockey League, along with 3 new teams, to form the "Northland Hockey League" this league will begin play this year. In the Lake Superior League, the Grand Rapids Moose left to join the Iron Range Hockey League due to a much closer travel schedule and with grand Rapids' regional tie to the Iron Range. And the Twin Cities Hockey League got an expansion team as well.

Here are the newest members of the Minnesota Amateur Hockey League!

Fergus Falls is a fairly large city for the area, with a population between around 12,000. Fergus Falls is located in the western part of the state, and has a history of pond hockey. The Cyclones will play on Lake Alice and are going to be founding members of the Northland Hockey League.

The nickname "Cyclones" was given to the team because of the 2 major tornadoes that stuck the city just a few decades ago, including the 1919 tornado that destroyed most of the town. Their logo is a cyclone with an interlocking FF logo for Fergus Falls. The team colors are burgundy and orange. The Cyclones will only have one pair of socks that are just block orange.

gyIx5N4.png

Rochester is one of the largest cities in the state, with a population around 29,000. Located in the southeastern part of the state, Rochester will be the southernmost team in the league. Like many other teams in the league, the Mustangs are based on a real team that began playing in 1946. Rochester will be joining the Twin Cities Hockey League.

The nickname "Mustangs" was chosen to represent the "speed and strength of the people of Rochester". Their logo is a bucking Mustang, but it is only seen on the away jersey. The Mustangs colors are black and gold.

5mNk3om.png

St. Cloud is one of the bigger cities in the state with a population around 26,000. Located north of the twin cities along the shores of the Mississippi, St. Cloud is a hockey town through and through with locals playing on the lakes and rivers as well as following the St. Cloud State hockey team. St. Cloud will be a founding member of the Northland Hockey League as the Twin Cities HL refused to allow them access.

Thei nickname will be the "Bear Cats" . Their logo is a cartoon Bear Cat face with a sailor hat with SC in it.. The Bear Cats colors are black and silver.

YV2MYfU.png

Warroad is a tiny town with a population around 1,000 located on the shores of Lake of the Woods on the Canadian border. What Warroad lacks in people it more than makes up for in passion for the sport. Comparable only to their nearest team from Roseau, Warroad is hockey crazy to say the very least. The Lakers are another team based on a real team that founded in 1946. Warroad will be the final founding member of the Northland Hockey League.

The nickname "Lakers" was chosen due to the city being located on the shored of Lake of the Woods. Their logo is a blue and red anchor, but isn't located anywhere on their uniforms. The Lakers colors are red white and blue.

LoCqKru.png

OK, now I REALLY hope Superior plays Warroad in the Finals...it'll be fun to have "Lakers" be to the MAHL what "Rough Riders/Roughriders" was to the CFL, "Admirals" was to the AHL and "Thunder" is to the ECHL.

12 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

OK, now I REALLY hope Superior plays Warroad in the Finals...it'll be fun to have "Lakers" be to the MAHL what "Rough Riders/Roughriders" was to the CFL, "Admirals" was to the AHL and "Thunder" is to the ECHL.

As time goes on you'll see more teams with shared nicknames since I have so many teams planned and there are only so many names to choose from.

2 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Are any of the other teams jumping over to the Northroad league? 3 teams is really small league

He said  Bemidji and Roseau are making the jump to the Northland League. And that league is gonna look good in its first year, such good looks for them!

Also looking into the future, since there is mass expansion (hopefully). I was looking and thought if there is one location that could be a possibility that is funky, but works, it would be Spirit Lake, Iowa, right near the border. If we need another state, Iowa is right there and could have a team, maybe in the '90s-'00s, when motorcycles were produced there, although the town is pretty small.

In a way, it makes sense for Roseau and Bemidji to make their own league. They were literally the western most outposts in the Iron Range League. During a time where buses were the most common form of transportation (trains could be a logical option as well, but I don't know enough about the state at the time when it comes to trains to see if that would work better), those road trips would be extremely long, especially if the game is at Duluth or Thunder Bay.

With new teams in Fergus Falls, St. Cloud and Warroad joining to create the Northland League, this cuts down on travel times for Roseau and Bemidji. Even better is the addition of St. Cloud as it's a large city in that region. It's a hub city at this point in history alongside Bemidji as another big city. These two could act as major hubs for this new league.

YAS HERES THE WARROAD VS ROSEAU RIVALRY IVE BEEN WAITING FOR! 

Still wating on a team in Orr tho ?

Very awesome! God I'm so jealous I didn't think up of this league first! I'm seriously thinking about something a baseball equivalent of this league, haha. But that's a discussion for another time! 

20 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

Also looking into the future, since there is mass expansion (hopefully). I was looking and thought if there is one location that could be a possibility that is funky, but works, it would be Spirit Lake, Iowa, right near the border. If we need another state, Iowa is right there and could have a team, maybe in the '90s-'00s, when motorcycles were produced there, although the town is pretty small.

I hadn't thought of it, but after looking, that seems to be a reasonable spot for a team with some other cities in the area planned to have teams.

18 hours ago, EJaws said:

YAS HERES THE WARROAD VS ROSEAU RIVALRY IVE BEEN WAITING FOR! 

Still wating on a team in Orr tho ?

Since Orr has such a small population I am waiting until it peaks in the 60s for them to get a team, even then it is very small.

21 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

Yeah, the Spirit Lake-Okoboji area of Iowa would be a fantastic location for a hockey team if you were were to jump into Iowa. That area has the "Great Lakes" of Iowa and would make for a fantastic market location. 

The 1946/47 season concluded and here are the stories.

Due to a new league joining, the playoff structure has changed so only the top 3 teams from each league make the playoffs. The format is the same, but instead of a knockout round of teams from all the leagues, every league gets their own spot.

Iron Range Hockey League: The Soudan Miners claimed the top spot, finishing with one more win than the second place Reds. Grand Rapids takes the final playoff spot in their first year in the Iron Range. Ely continues to decline as they finish with 8 wins. And Hibbing and Chisholm finish in the bottom of the league.

PC8gW3D.png

Lake Superior Hockey League: The Hornets remained at the top of the league with the Giants and Voyageurs rounding out the top 3. Superior dropped a fair amount thanks to a number of key injuries. Cloquet and Two Harbors finished in the bottom, but Cloquet looks to be on the up and up with a few youngsters on the roster.

HLP1zfL.png

Northland Hockey League: The Warroad Lakers dominated the competition all season, finishing in first with 19 wins. Roseau took second and Bemidji rounded out the playoff teams. St. Cloud had a lackluster season and Fergus Falls was out of their league in their first season.

hZCwbXz.png

Twin Cities Hockey League: The St. Paul Victorias and Saints swapped top positions and the Vulcans took the third playoff spot. Rochester just missed the playoffs, but had a winning record, in their first season. the Millers had a decent season, but still finished below .500. The Chiefs just beat out the Mavericks for the 6 spot thanks to one tie, and the Bruins finished in the basement.

KWgwkvW.png

Toad's thoughts on the 47/48 season.

Iron Range: Wow that was a fast jolt up by Soudan. From 2 decades of suck to suddenly winning. Also, SERIOUSLY ELY.  HOWOWOWWOWOW. 

Lake Superior: nothing unexpected, but both Duluth teams final will probably square off in the MAHL finals

Northland: out of the 3 new teams. I would have expected St. Cloud to beat Roseau and Bemidji based in their population, not Warroad. Also, Fergus Falls will become the Cloquet of the Northland.

Twin Cities: nice first year for Rochester, a young Vulcans squad should outlast the St. Paul teams in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Northland: out of the 3 new teams. I would have expected St. Cloud to beat Roseau and Bemidji based in their population, not Warroad. Also, Fergus Falls will become the Cloquet of the Northland.

St. Cloud likely will become more dominant as the years go on, but at this point in time, Warroad and Roseau have a much bigger emphasis on hockey despite having a much smaller population.

1947 Playoffs

Knockout Round:

• The Saints knock out their rivals, the Vulcans to have a chance at defending the Milk Jug against the Victorias.
  • The Voyageurs took care of the Giants to meet up with their cross tow rivals in the second round.
  • Roseau knocked out the Blue Ox in decisive fashion, blowing them out.
  • Eveleth squeaks past Grand Rapids to reach the second round.

Second Round:

• The Saints are able to knock out the rival Victorias for the second straight season, holding onto the Milk Jug.
  • "The Battle of Duluth" rivalry was renewed in this series where the Hornets came up on top over their little brothers.
  • In what is already becoming one of the more heated rivalries in the league, despite only being the first year competing against one another, the Lakers and Stars battled all series long, both in scoring and in fisticuffs. The Stars were able to take the series however in game 3 when Matt "Boomer" Baumgartner put 2 in the back of the net to win the game and series 2 to 1.
  • The up and coming Miners get upset and swept by the Reds.

Semi Finals:

• The Saints and Hornets met up in the semi finals for a close series, but the defending champs just got the better of Duluth and will return to the finals.
  • Coming off of a hard fought series against the Lakers, the Stars looked tired and beat up in game one where they fell on home ice. This seemed to have awoken the beast as Roseau went on to win 3 straight and reach the finals.

Will the Saints go back to back? Or will the Stars shine and claim their first Kellogg Cup?

Updq4tM.png

The Kellogg Cup Final is between two wild cards this year...interesting...

And LET'S GO STARS!