Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1947/48 Regular Season

The Minnesota Amateur Hockey League is proud to announce the two newest members of the league, the Roseau Stars and the Red Wing Chiefs!

Roseau is a small town with less than 2000 people currently living there, but their population is rapidly increasing. Roseau is located just minutes from the Canadian border and has some of the most hockey crazed residents you will find anywhere on earth. Iron Range Hockey League Commissioner Sage Johansson said this "Children learn to skate as soon as they can walk, so it was a no brainer for us to grant the city of Roseau a team"

The nickname "Stars" was chosen after the North Star since the city is located so far north. Their logo is a Star with a shape in the top right part loosely forming a "R" for Roseau. The team colors are green and gold.

lbZECrM.png

Red Wing is a fairly large city with a population around 10,000 located south of the Twin Cities. Red Wing isn't as hockey crazy as north Minnesota, but it is growing in popularity and the city believes that they have enough solid players to compete at the same level as the rest of the Twin Cities Hockey League.

Red Wing's nickname "Chiefs" was chosen due to the city itself being named after Chief Red Wing. The Chiefs logo is Chiefs in script and the team colors are red and white.

tk2qUZZ.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Section30, all of these new looks are kracken AMAZING.  (And If I could figure out how to add a signature, I would add one for the Black Bears of Ely.

13 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

Section30, all of these new looks are kracken AMAZING.  (And If I could figure out how to add a signature, I would add one for the Black Bears of Ely.

Thank you! and I'm pretty sure that if you hit the little down arrow next to your name in the top right corner then do account settings there should be something on the left that says signature and you can put whatever there.

LOVE the new looks the league brings...of course, us getting the VICTORY makes every American's mood better, doesn't it?

Bring on the first postwar season...

EXPANSION TEAMS! YES! With Roseau getting a team, I bet Warroad will be itching to get a team for themselves 

I totally forgot that the NHL still existed in this universe. How would this league "compete" with the NHL? Would they use this league as a "minor league" or what? Will the Minnesota Wild still exist in this universe? Etc. I'm curious of their relationship with each other. 

2 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I totally forgot that the NHL still existed in this universe. How would this league "compete" with the NHL? Would they use this league as a "minor league" or what? Will the Minnesota Wild still exist in this universe? Etc. I'm curious of their relationship with each other. 

This would be seen as more like "town ball" in baseball, not quite professional, but just about the highest level without being a pro league. Think of it as like college or junior level but instead of being for a school or playing juniors it's everyday people with no age requirements playing for their cities. I would expect the NHL to continue as it does in real life, some top players from the MAHL may get drafted or go off to college or something which could impact teams, but I wouldn't call this league a minor league or anything.

I would think that the Wild/North Stars would likely embrace the league and players like they do for the high school hockey tournament in real life. Maybe having special nights or putting the jerseys around the arena like they do with the high school ones IRL.

The 1945/46 season concluded and here are the stories.

Each league went back to 24 game seasons, so the Lake Superior and Twin Cities played each other 4 times each while the Iron Range played each other 3 times each.

Iron Range Hockey League: Eveleth remained at the top of the league with a strong year, only having one loss. The expansion team from Roseau took the second spot with an impressive first year. In third place we have the Miners who are looking to make some noise again, in the last playoff spot we have Bemidji who finished just above .500. Just missing the playoffs were the Black Bears, this is their first time missing the playoffs (when the Iron Range had a season) since 1936. Virginia, Hibbing, and Chisholm all had lackluster seasons and finished at the bottom of the league.

4KJIBWy.png

Lake Superior Hockey League: In their first year back after the merge, the Hornets remained at the top of the league as if nothing happened. Superior turned some heads this year as they ended the theme of Duluth or Thunder Bay always taking the top 2 spots by just inching out the 2 seed over the Giants. The Voyageurs took the 4 spot and made the playoffs. The bottom three all had a really difficult time in such a strong league, those teams are Two Harbors, Grand Rapids, and Cloquet.

yl1QvDt.png

Twin Cities Hockey League: The St. Paul Saints and Victorias took the top two spots in the league followed by the Vulcans. The Millers look to bring back the good ole' days as they clinched a playoff birth despite having a losing record. the Mavericks had the biggest drop off of any team due to the years off from the war, missing the playoffs for the first time since 1921 (when the Twin Cities had a season). The Chiefs struggled in their inaugural season, but the Bruins finished in last place.

iGdWAyR.png

LOVELY inaugural season by Roseau...also says somethin' that after the split, the Hornets were still this dominant and the Voyageurs made the playoffs too!

Rootin' for Superior to get an upset run and FINALLY win the Kellogg Cup...

7 hours ago, Section30 said:

I would think that the Wild/North Stars would likely embrace the league and players like they do for the high school hockey tournament in real life. Maybe having special nights or putting the jerseys around the arena like they do with the high school ones IRL.

It would be awesome if the if the Minnesota North Stars/Wild would allow the MAHL to have their All-Star games and some late-round playoff games at the old Met Center and the current Xcel Energy Center when the time comes. Just an idea. Of course, this is your league so you can do whatever you want! I'm just enjoying the ride!!

On 8/21/2018 at 12:11 AM, Section30 said:

As for simulating, I have an app on my laptop called "Random Tool" that has a thing where you can pick winners. I based the way I do who's good and bad off of the way that Hawkfan does the PHL. I give teams a number ranking of 1-5 based on how well they did the year before, if they have any "special" players, or if the city is just a lot larger and therefore more likely to have better players. So I put all the teams in a league in there however many times I decided for them (so if a team had done really well the year prior I'll put them in 5 times, or if they are horrible like Stillwater was I'll only put them in once) Then I use the pick a winner choice and whoever comes up 2 times first finishes first and so on. I hope that helped, it's hard to explain exactly what I do.

Also just following up on this simulation method. I was just curious if this method remained or if you updated/improved on it. Like, do you sim every single game or...? 

16 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

It would be awesome if the if the Minnesota North Stars/Wild would allow the MAHL to have their All-Star games and some late-round playoff games at the old Met Center and the current Xcel Energy Center when the time comes. Just an idea. Of course, this is your league so you can do whatever you want! I'm just enjoying the ride!!

I was planning on having the late rounds of the playoffs being played at those arenas much like the High School tournament, I also have been thinking of a possible all star game and this would be a good place it could be at.

16 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Also just following up on this simulation method. I was just curious if this method remained or if you updated/improved on it. Like, do you sim every single game or...? 

I still use the same general idea, I use the random app and put teams in more if I think they should be good based on a number of things and whoever shows up twice first I'll put them first and so on. I then take the rankings and randomly assign records to teams, so no, I don't sim every game, that would take way too long.

1946 Playoffs

Knockout Round:

• Soudan is able to strike early and hold of the Ox to move on.
  • In the wildcard bracket, the Vulcans pull of the upset over the Giants, in Thunder Bay, to advance.
  • The Victorias knock off the Millers in a tough fought battle.
  • Superior takes care of Le Bleus and goes on to meet the Hornets in the second round.

Second Round:

• Eveleth completely outplays the Miners, sweeping them.
  • In their first playoff appearance, the Stars were upset by the Vulcans who look to be picking up some momentum.
  • The captain of the Victorias, Lance Ogden, has a strange tradition of bringing a "lucky" milk jug that he brings to every game. After his Victorias took game 1 of the series, a couple of Saints players were able to snag the jug from the Victorias locker room. The Saints went on to win the next game, forcing a deciding game 3. The Saints made an offer to the Victorias, whoever win the series keeps the milk jug. The Saints went out and won in overtime to take the series and thus kept the jug, they proceeded to rub it in the faces of the Victorias by parading it around the ice after the game, Ogden and his teammates were held back to prevent a brawl and the first rivalry trophy in MAHL history was formed.
  • In another rivalry series, the Hornets just squeezed past the Lakers to advance.

Semi Finals:

• The Vulcans continued to upset the league as the knocked off the top seeded Reds in Eveleth to advance to the finals.
  • Riding the momentum from defeating their rivals and now owning the Milk Jug, the Saints took care of the Hornets in 4 games to advance and meet another old rival in the finals.

Will the Vulcans upset streak continue Or will the Saints claim their first Kellogg Cup?

GCxNZkq.png

After three years off, the Twin Cities league sends TWO teams to the Kellogg Cup Finals-nice!

Given their contrasting nomenclatures, this should be fun...

1946 Kellogg Cup Finals

Game 1: St. Paul was behind 2-1 after the first, but the Saints were able to tie things up in the second and then win it in overtime to take a 1-0 series lead.

Game 2: After losing in overtime, the Vulcans were looking to bounce back, and they did just that, putting up 4 on the road to tie the series.

Game 3: Coming off a decisive victory over the Saints, the Vulcans looked to make it back to back, after scoring two first period goals, they played shut down defense for the remainder of the game, scoring one more on the empty net to take the series lead.

Game 4: The Vulcans looked to take a commanding 3-1 series lead, but the Saints had other ideas. After falling behind 1-0, the Saints offense went to work, controlling the playof the game and putting 3 behind the Vulcan goaltender to tie the series.

Game 5: St. Paul would continue to outplay the Vulcans in game 5, shutting them out.

Game 6: game 6 was more or less a continuation of the last 2 games, the Saints just were too much for the Vulcans to handle as they completely controlled the flow of the game and took the game by a score of 3 to 1 to claim their first ever Kellogg Cup!

R7Wn3Xn.png

Congrats to the Saints on their first Kellogg Cup...and against perhaps their chief rivals, no less!

Ready to see what the next post-war seasons have in store...especially patiently waiting for more WI teams to join.

8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Congrats to the Saints on their first Kellogg Cup...and against perhaps their chief rivals, no less!

Ready to see what the next wartime seasons have in store...especially patiently waiting for more WI teams to join.

Wait? That was St. Paul's FIRST?!?!?!

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

Wait? That was St. Paul's FIRST?!?!?!

Yep, it was also their first trip to the finals. The Saints have mostly been one of the more upper teams in the Twin Cities, but have never really dominated or been the top dogs, this year was only their third league title.