Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1950/51 Off Season (New Teams)

2 hours ago, MBurmy said:

LOVE the new playoff graphic format...depicts how vast the field is, and how GLORIOUS the prize at the end is!

PS: GO ICE!

Same on the amazing graphic,but go black-bears :(

1950 Kellogg Cup Finals

Game 1: In a back and forth battle, the Hornets were able to bury one with just over two minutes remaining to break the tie and take game 1.

Game 2: The Ice bounced back in game two on the road, taking the game in a 2-0 shutout on the road.

Game 3: Keeping things rolling, International Falls rolled to a 3-1 victory thanks to a hat trick from William "Willy" Mason.

Game 4: Duluth responds in game 4, putting up a 3-0 shutout victory to tie the series at 2 apiece.

Game 5: Back on the shores of Superior, the Ice won a high scoring battle on the road to take the series lead, they only need one more win to complete the underdog run.

Game 6: With their backs to the wall, the Hornets swarmed all over International Falls, and despite a great game by the Ice goalie, Duluth was able to take the game in overtime. 

Game 7: With everything on the line, the series went back to Duluth. The Hornets got an early 2-0 lead in the first period, the Ice cut the deficit to one in the second, but it was all but over when the Hornets buried the empty net to take a 2 goal lead with only 1:26 left on the clock. The final horn sounded and the Hornets swarmed the ice to claim the Kellogg Cup!

JS3dZpn.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Once again, the Hornets prove themselves to be the big dynasty of this era...but you gotta LOVE the fight the Ice put up!

I predict they'll hoist the Cup before the decade's over.

9 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Once again, the Hornets prove themselves to be the big dynasty of this era...but you gotta LOVE the fight the Ice put up!

I predict they'll hoist the Cup before the decade's over.

Surprisingly, this is only the Hornets third Kellogg Cup ever!

The Duluth Cups go like this

1921 - Hornets

1928 - Voyageurs

1929 - Voyageurs

1930 - Voyageurs

1942 - Hornets

1944 - Duluth (Merged)*

1945 - Duluth (Merged)

1950 - Hornets

^My bad...must've been a "Mandela Effect" in my mind (or perhaps just the fact that I tended to count Duluth's '44 and '45 Cups as the Hornets', since they did do it with the Hornets' logo).

5 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

^My bad...must've been a "Mandela Effect" in my mind (or perhaps just the fact that I tended to count Duluth's '44 and '45 Cups as the Hornets', since they did do it with the Hornets' logo).

TBH I felt the same way when I looked at the records and saw they had only won two prior.

Prior to the 1950/51 season, the MAHL announced that there would be a new trophy, the "Tschida Trophy" will be granted to the most valuable player in the league, this will include players from every league and it includes both the regular season and post season. It is named after the great coach/player of the Twin Cities Vulcans who announced his retirement this off season.

The League also announced that three new franchises would be joining for the upcoming season. Alexandria will join the Northland Hockey League, White Bear Lake will join the Twin Cities Hockey League, and Winona will join the Valley Hockey League. 

Alexandria is a slightly larger than average sized town for the area with a population just above 6,000. With their relative closeness to Fergus Falls and St. Cloud, locals felt they deserved a team as well.

The nickname "Norsemen" was chosen due to the huge population of Scandinavian immigrants in the city. Their logo is a capital A for Alexandria, wearing a winged helmet, based off of old drawings and sculptures of Norse gods. The team colors are black, red, and white.

i6bhUfj.png

White Bear Lake is a very small city compared to the rest of the Twin Cities League with a population of less than 4,000. But residents of the city have a history of hockey going back to Elwyn "Doc" Romnes who played professionally from 1928-1940, and Frank "Moose" Goheen who has become a legend in the city, playing semi pro in the 20's and 30's.

The nickname "Braves" goes way back to the origin story of the cities name. The story in short tells the tale of a Brave of one tribe and the Chiefs daughter of another tribe falling in love, when the Brave is on his way to meet the chiefs daughter in their spot, he discovers her being attacked by a white bear. The Brave stabs and kills the bear, but in doing so died himself. If you are interested in reading the whole story, then click here. Their logo is a B for Braves with feathers. The team colors are navy and orange.

kGwEoEC.png

Winona is one of the largest cities in the southern part of the state, with a population around 25,000. With almost all of the other large cities in the region getting teams, a group of locals decided to form their own team and join the Valley League.

The team will be called the "Wildcats". Their logo is a front facing wildcat growling. The team colors are black, and blue.

805731L.png

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

I like the Wildcats logo. But I think it's too clean and slick for the early 50s. Also, why aldo the uniform Jerseys still have 47 as the number?

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

I like the Wildcats logo. But I think it's too clean and slick for the early 50s. Also, why aldo the uniform Jerseys still have 47 as the number?

I see where you're coming from, but I think it fits. IMO it reminds me of the old Detroit Tigers logos with the smooshed faces. As for 47, it is my favorite number and the one I have used for every team and intend to keep using in the future, teams will begin to start having different number fonts soon though.

The way the league is going with Canadian teams, It would be nice to see a team in my birthplace of Oakville.

I love the White Bear Lake Braves look! That feathered B is great! And the colors are a mix of Mariner and WBLHS!

5 minutes ago, ItsSlothy said:

The way the league is going with Canadian teams, It would be nice to see a team in my birthplace of Oakville.

Had to take a look at where that is, and I would say that I don't think that expansion would get nearly that far, sorry.

1 minute ago, chcarlson23 said:

I love the White Bear Lake Braves look! That feathered B is great! And the colors are a mix of Mariner and WBLHS!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!