Section30

Minnesota Amateur Hockey League - 1951 Playoffs

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I was going to ask you about the records until I read that last part of the post. All good! I know that feeling. Since you aren’t keeping track anymore, have your simming methods changed? 

 

My simming method remains the same, in the past I would sim and figure out standings then randomly apply records to teams so things haven't really changed in those regards.

 

10 hours ago, TargetToad said:

I love the new graphic. Also, who got in the playoffs?

 

The top 4 teams from every league get a playoff birth.

 

2 hours ago, JamHeronArk said:

The new graphic is nice. Also, wow. It did not take long for the Northland League to be the biggest league.

 

Thank you, and no not at all, there are other cities in the area considering joining in the next few years, so who knows how long it will last before some teams split.

 

7 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

When will the two Duluth teams have their own Rivalry Trophy?

 

I'm open to suggestions from people on rivalry trophies, there are a lot of rivalries in the league so let me know which ones you guys think deserve a trophy, I think the Battle of Duluth will have one for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Something like Superior Supremacy, lol. 

 

I was thinking more along the lines of which teams should compete for a trophy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the map for the Lake Superior division and saw that there were four teams in the vicinity of Duluth. So how about something like “Battle for the Aerial Bridge” or similar like that? 

 

I also was going to say all teams ON the lake shore should battle for the North Shore Title or something like that but that’s basically the entire division so it’s moot. 

 

EDIT: Just realized you meant OTHER teams in the league, far away from the Superior Lake lol. I’ll have to take a look and ponder about it too. 

 

I may do the same thing for my Solar OOTP League if you don’t mind! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I looked at the map for the Lake Superior division and saw that there were four teams in the vicinity of Duluth. So how about something like “Battle for the Aerial Bridge” or similar like that? 

 

I also was going to say all teams ON the lake shore should battle for the North Shore Title or something like that but that’s basically the entire division so it’s moot. 

 

EDIT: Just realized you meant OTHER teams in the league, far away from the Superior Lake lol. I’ll have to take a look and ponder about it too. 

 

I may do the same thing for my Solar OOTP League if you don’t mind! 

 

That joint trophy is interesting, and feel free to use it in your series, rivalry trophies are always fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1951 Playoffs

 

Knockout Round:

  • Thunder Bay easily takes care of the Brewers.
  • The Voyageurs "upset" Austin, advancing to face their division rivals from Superior.
  • The Waves impressive season comes to an end after the Stars shut them out 3-0.
  • Warroad knocks off Virginia and advances.

Second Round:

  • The top seeded Bear Cats are just too much for the Giants to handle as they get swept.
  • International Falls looks to repeat last years playoffs, and they're off to a good start after beating Hibbing and advancing.
  • In a rivalry game, the Lakers just got the better of Duluth.
  • The Defending champs faced off with Ely and showed the Bears why they are considered a threat to go back to back, sweeping Ely.
  • The ever powerful Reds dominated Roseau all series, only giving up 31 shots in the two game sweep.
  • The Saints met up with the Dragoons for a very physical series which saw St. Paul walk of in overtime in game 3.
  • in a major upset, the Warroad Lakers knock off the 3 seeded Victorias.
  • Rochester won their league, but still had a difficult time with the Millers who forced overtime in game 3, the Mustangs luckily were able to light the lamp and reach the quarter finals.

Quarter Finals:

  • St. Cloud avenges last years heartbreaking upset loss to the Ice, winning the series 3-1.
  • In a rematch of last years "Battle of the Bridge", the Hornets again got the better of their rivals and reached the semis.
  • The Saints and Reds had a series to remember, the offense was on display all series, with an average of 9 combined goals per game, the Reds ultimately came out on top and will advance.
  • The Lakers continue their run, this time sweeping the winners of the Valley league.

Semi Finals:

  • Coming off of a big series win, the Hornets just didn't seem to have the energy they had against the Lakers, St. Cloud took advantage and took the series 4-2.
  • Warroad looked like they could really do it after winning game one in Eveleth, but things changed quickly, the Reds went on to win the next 4 and won the series.

Will the Bear Cats win their first cup? Or will Eveleth become the winningest team in league history by winning their fifth?

 

NqFoKKU.png

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One recommendation I'd have is in your write ups, for teams like the "Lakers" (Superior and Warroad), I'd specify which is which more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we see the debut of Old Staal 😄

Meh, dude was probably Cute Staal back in the day :flagcanada:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's your time, St. Cloud!

And as for trophies, I have a few suggestions

 

The Water Wheel (Minneapolis Millers vs. Minneapolis Bruins)
(Named after Minneapolis' etymology - the "Water City")

The Peace Pipe (South St. Paul Mavericks vs. West St. Paul Waves)

(The MAHL's two Dakota County teams...I know it'll be replaced in the 2000s, but that name was acceptable back then)

 

The Rainy Waders (International Falls Ice vs. Fort Frances Trappers)

(On either side of the Rainy River, the American Ice and Canadian Trappers enjoy quite a rivalry)

 

US-169 Trophy (or some other name) (Chisholm Flames vs. Hibbing Greyhounds)

 

Rebellion Trophy (or some other name) (Eveleth Reds vs. Virginia Royals)

(Red is the color of rebellion, and royalty is rebellion's natural enemy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

It's your time, St. Cloud!

And as for trophies, I have a few suggestions

 

The Water Wheel (Minneapolis Millers vs. Minneapolis Bruins)
(Named after Minneapolis' etymology - the "Water City")

The Peace Pipe (South St. Paul Mavericks vs. West St. Paul Waves)

(The MAHL's two Dakota County teams...I know it'll be replaced in the 2000s, but that name was acceptable back then)

 

The Rainy Waders (International Falls Ice vs. Fort Frances Trappers)

(On either side of the Rainy River, the American Ice and Canadian Trappers enjoy quite a rivalry)

 

US-169 Trophy (or some other name) (Chisholm Flames vs. Hibbing Greyhounds)

 

Rebellion Trophy (or some other name) (Eveleth Reds vs. Virginia Royals)

(Red is the color of rebellion, and royalty is rebellion's natural enemy)

 

Those are all really interesting ideas, I'll definitely think about those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trophy Suggestions:

 

Cityside Trophy (Waves Vs. Mavericks)

 

Can-Am Cup (Ice Vs. Trappers)

 

Civil Cup (Reds Vs. Royals)

 

Also, how will the reds react to the “Red Scare”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItsSlothy said:

Also, how will the reds react to the “Red Scare”?

I'm guessing they'll change their nickname to the "Redbirds" at some point (to match their logo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now